• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everything improves with age, but Weir sure has. Well, except for his slide playing.

Listen to him try to sing blues tunes when he was younger and had a higher vocal range. Pathetic. Now, he growls the stuff out like Howlin' Wolf! :lol

I think when he does New, New Minglewood Blues - it is totally awesome. I have probably never heard Bob play slide. I have always been partial to the Rolling Stones version of Little Red Rooster.

heres a perfect example of what I consider "clean" Jerry. I know he was in 89 and 90 for awhile but I think Brent dying hit him.

You  can just tell hes clean here and in a lot of 89 90 shows because his clothes are clean and his hair is washed and in a pony tail and/or clean and hes firing on all cylinders performing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhIVGQCeoaU

I don't know. I think he started using the persian again in 1989, and he was clean in 1987-1988...

Speaking of Weir and his voice - Amazon had the Move Me Brightly Blu-ray for $14, so I bought it - I think they did nice job editing the show - all, esp. Weir, sound great.

Still irks the fuck out me that Hidalgo  isn't taking better care of the '58 Strat that Garcia gave him - they did edit out the part where he took the guitar out the case and he mentioned the broken string - ugh.

Also I wish they mentioned who the musicians were as the appeared - I had no idea who half of them were.

I was wrong before - the only two Road Trips releases I have are:

Road Trips Vol.1, Number 3: Summer  1971

Selected songs from the Grateful Dead shows in New Haven on July 31, 1971 and Chicago on August 23, 1971.

(The end jam on Uncle John's Band before they go into Johnny B. Goode is really cool.)

Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 2: Austin, November 15, 1971

The complete Grateful Dead show at the Austin Municipal Auditorium on November 15, 1971.

(Plus the 11/14/1971 bonus disc) (Jerry's strat sound is just exactly perfect.)

anyone else here have the pleasure of seeing the JGB tour in 89 with Weir opening?

I hit Merriweather Post and lets just say the crowd was "electric" to say the least. Owsley must have been around somewhere. It was his or one of his minions work. Tough stuff

I already mentioned that I had been at one of the Long Island Sound shows that are coming out next month, the 9/5/89 show. You meant anyone else besides you and me, right? :lol

anyone else here have the pleasure of seeing the JGB tour in 89 with Weir opening?

I hit Merriweather Post and lets just say the crowd was "electric" to say the least. Owsley must have been around somewhere. It was his or one of his minions work. Tough stuff

I did Alpine (9/15) and Hoffman Estates (9/16). Alpine was off the chart! Weir's set was mighty fine, and the Don't Let go from Jerry's set...well let me say I hadn't felt that way at a Dead-related show in quite some time. I really didn't know Clarence had THAT in him! 

Anyone have the bonus disc that came with the preorder of the Closing of Winterland set? There's a really nice Easy Wind from 12/31/70 on there as bonus material. That sounds like a show that would be primed for release, but I think only a few tracks have officially come out. Love that late 60s to early 70s Dead sound.

I did Alpine (9/15) and Hoffman Estates (9/16). Alpine was off the chart! Weir's set was mighty fine, and the Don't Let go from Jerry's set...well let me say I hadn't felt that way at a Dead-related show in quite some time. I really didn't know Clarence had THAT in him! 

Yeah, I was at both of those shows too. '89 was the height of my touring years, I saw about a dozen GD shows and then these two JGB's to cap off the year. Good times! I'll never forget that full moon too, that was awesome.

I was at the Merriweather shows, too. Good stuff.

I saw 5/19/89 at Irvine Meadows. Something in the water that night made Melvin Seals look larger than usual...and his body had a bright glow around it and was pulsating with each note. Jerry, Kahn, and the ladies' faces were skeletons.

Anyone have the bonus disc that came with the preorder of the Closing of Winterland set? There's a really nice Easy Wind from 12/31/70 on there as bonus material. That sounds like a show that would be primed for release, but I think only a few tracks have officially come out. Love that late 60s to early 70s Dead sound.

Listening right now. I love Easy Wind and this one is the tits. Favorite Pigpen song.

Yeah, it just popped up on my iTunes today, and I wondered where it was from, so I checked. Apparently, I've only got a couple tracks from that show. Have to see if I can find the SBD online in mp3 format, 'cause I just don't have much space left on the ol' computer...  :guitar

I do have that. Haven't listened to it in years. I seem to recall a raging ScarFire from around '77 on it.

Yeah, it just popped up on my iTunes today, and I wondered where it was from, so I checked. Apparently, I've only got a couple tracks from that show. Have to see if I can find the SBD online in mp3 format, 'cause I just don't have much space left on the ol' computer...  :guitar

The Scarlet > Fire on this disc is great, too...from 12/31/77.

Out of the blue I decided to download a show I've never listened to before (and there are many) based on high numbers of seeds on etree.

I found 7 May 1977 and am listening now.

Oh man, this is glorious.

"Don't you let that deal go down!"

That Half-Step from 5/7 is a MONSTER. Certainly one of the best I've heard.