• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall ever coming across his name in any of the Dead books or articles I have read.

Me either, and I have literally dozens of books around here.

Ordered the Garcia Band/ Weir & Wasserman discs on Amazon yesterday for good price. Gdeadradio.com is playing some of the Weir/Wasserman stuff right now (9.6.89). Got the "Easy to Slip" going now and sounds very typical of how they always played it together, which is a good thing. Thought I remembered someone panning this take on this great tune on here, and, I have to disagree. Probably my favorite Little Feat tune and never heard a version of it I didn't like....

Ordered the Garcia Band/ Weir & Wasserman discs on Amazon yesterday for good price. Gdeadradio.com is playing some of the Weir/Wasserman stuff right now (9.6.89). Got the "Easy to Slip" going now and sounds very typical of how they always played it together, which is a good thing. Thought I remembered someone panning this take on this great tune on here, and, I have to disagree. Probably my favorite Little Feat tune and never heard a version of it I didn't like....

I think I'm going to spring for this too.  I really liked that Bob/Rob disc that came out in the late 90s.  I really like Victim and, on the whole, being able to just hear Bobby.

They posted a track on rollingstone.com, They Love Each Other from 9/5/89. This might have been the only time I ever saw the song performed by Jerry. Don't think I saw the Dead do it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jerry-garcia-band-get-funky-proclaim-they-love-each-other-20131218

Jerry's voice sounds really good for post-coma. And the backup singers he had on this tour were tremendous. I know I'm always talking about how I don't like to listen to much of anything after the early 80s, but this will get some love from me for sure. I think he sounds better here than he did on that Live (1990) album or Shining Star, for that matter.

A few shows that are sounding really good to me right now, spanning several lineups:

Berkeley 8-25-72  This one is a fantastic recording and performance, damn!  Makes me think that there actually were nights where they sounded as good as they do on Europe '72.

Richmond, VA 5-25-77  Yet another gem from May 1977

Merriweather Post 6-27-84  Help>Slip>Franklin's was really good in 1983 and 1984, I think.  This is a good one.  Nice Let It Grow, too.

MSG 9-18-90  To Lay Me Down!

A few shows that are sounding really good to me right now, spanning several lineups:

Berkeley 8-25-72  This one is a fantastic recording and performance, damn!  Makes me think that there actually were nights where they sounded as good as they do on Europe '72.

I have not heard this night for some inexplicable reason! Have you heard the previous night? If not I'll listen to 8/25 if you listen to 8/24 LOL.

Seriously though - I've probably raved about that 8/24 Dark Star > Dew more than once here, it could be my favorite pairing of that combo. Pretty unique Dark Star for the time, Keith uses the Rhodes and it has a very fusion/Miles/Weather Report - type feel for a bit.

I was lucky enough to get many Pure Jerry releases when the Borders in my neighborhood closed down - for 70% off. One my favorite music buying scores.

Pure Jerry: Keystone Berkeley, September 1, 1974, Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders Band, 2004

Pure Jerry: Merriweather Post Pavilion, September 1 & 2, 1989, Jerry Garcia Band, 2005

Pure Jerry: Hampton, Virginia, November 9, 1991, Jerry Garcia Band, 2006

Pure Jerry: Lunt-Fontanne, The Best Of The Rest, Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band/Jerry Garcia Band, 2004

I also have the below - I think the 78 release is my favorite.

Pure Jerry: Warner Theatre, March 18, 1978, Jerry Garcia Band, 2005

Pure Jerry: Theatre 1839, July 29 & 30, 1977, Jerry Garcia Band, 2004

The Lunt- Fontaine bonus disc looks interesting, as well. Good score.

Lammy, you never heard those shows?!? If so, you need to rectify that. I can help.

Lammy, you never heard those shows?!? If so, you need to rectify that. I can help.

I've heard the shows, to an extent, but thought the compilation bonus disc of acoustic stuff looked cool. And sure, I'd like to hear more.....;)

I have 2 discs of music from that run, I dont recall if they're compilations or not but yeah, great stuff. Yer on the list for a package, maybe soon, maybe not....but it'll happen.

I have not heard this night for some inexplicable reason! Have you heard the previous night? If not I'll listen to 8/25 if you listen to 8/24 LOL.

Seriously though - I've probably raved about that 8/24 Dark Star > Dew more than once here, it could be my favorite pairing of that combo. Pretty unique Dark Star for the time, Keith uses the Rhodes and it has a very fusion/Miles/Weather Report - type feel for a bit.

I think I have that Dark Star>Dew, but have never listened carefully.  I'll check it out, sounds good with the Rhodes and all that.  6-16-74 also has Keith using lots of Rhodes and I like that sound.  Thanks!

The Jerry/Merle Keystone box that was put out by Fantasy Records (or its successor) earlier this year or last year is one of my favorites.  Highly recommended.  Always loved that band, saw them a few times in '74 - '75 period.  Too bad they're not HDCD releases, but still very very good.

Anybody have any audio of the few shows Taj Mahal played bass in the Great American String Band w/ Garcia and Grisman in spring/early summer '74?

Just stumbled across this. Can't remember too much about these shows. I'm sure they're kind and all, but don't think much stands out. 

http://fp.io/a1bb26f8/

Great American Music Band

4/20/74

Pilgrimage Theater,

Hollywood, CA 

Show sponsored by McCabes Music Store

David Grisman - Mandolin 

Jerry Garcia - Banjo

David Nicturn - Guitar 

Richard Green - Fiddle

Taj Mahal - Vocals, Bass 

Maria Mauldar - Vocals (1)

Source:

multi gen cass/soundboard > BBE362NR > DAT > Sek'd Prodif Plus >

Soundforge > Cdwin > SHN

01. Intro & tuneup

02. Limehouse Blues

03. Dawg's Bull

04. My Plastic Banana

05. Swing '42

06. Coloured Aristocracy

07. Rolling In My Sweet Baby's Arms (1)

08. Dawg's Rag

09. I'll Be A Gambler If You Deal The Cards

10. Midnight At The Oasis (1)

11. Sweet Georgia Brown (1)

12. Will The Circle Be Unbroken (1)

Speaking of great sound quality, I got my copy of the Jerry Long Island Sound box last night and am really digging it. The Bob/Rob set from 9/5 brought back some memories from the mists of time; I had not heard the show since I experienced it in person, so it was kind of surreal.

The Jerry set from night one begins with a bit of a sound glitch, which I already knew from having a SBD copy of most of the show for many years. I don't know if it's a "hot" mic or what, but Jerry's vocals start out overly loud and distorted during Cats Under the Stars, but the problem is quickly resolved. Apparently, this was an issue in the master recording. Once it's resolved, the sound is just exactly perfect to my ears. Am going to be enjoying this box thoroughly over the holidays.