Cool to get a Brent-era show. If I remember correctly, someone on dead.net guessed this pick in the comments section for Dave's Pick Vol. 7, but of course, those comments are all gone now. I wonder what they said? I am not familiar with this show, but look forward to receiving it.

There was that long piece in the New Yorker last year about Deadhead tapers, and it was very much focused on this show.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how I feel about that, Calvino. If it's meticulously 'patched in' to preserve the continuity of the show I can deal with it, but I would much rather have a pure unadulterated SBD.

I could have SWORN I heard a patch on one of the  Dave's (I'm thinking it was #4 during the Help > Slip > Frank)? Anyone else hear this or am I going insane? (Don't answer that, it's obvious  :stunned )

So I have been listening to the GD station on Sirius now every time I am in my car.  It's all been 1977 for some reason.  Have not figured out their modus yet.  So far I really like it.  Heard an amazing Terrapin today.  Have to admit the female singing is not doing much for me although sometimes it's not bad depending on the song.  A little too yoko ono or something at times.  Can I assume that is the infamous Donna I have been hearing so much about?  1972 is still my go to but love being exposed to all the different years.

Not sure how I feel about that, Calvino. If it's meticulously 'patched in' to preserve the continuity of the show I can deal with it, but I would much rather have a pure unadulterated SBD.

I could have SWORN I heard a patch on one of the  Dave's (I'm thinking it was #4 during the Help > Slip > Frank)? Anyone else hear this or am I going insane? (Don't answer that, it's obvious  :stunned )

I am interested how Norman will handle the audience recording. 

For the most part I think Norman has done a good job, so hopefully he utilizes the audience recording, accordingly.  I, for the most part, avoid matrix recordings that I come across, because I listened to some that were not done well --- I am hoping Norman does a good job.   The concept of a matrix is fine with me.

So I have been listening to the GD station on Sirius now every time I am in my car.  It's all been 1977 for some reason.  Have not figured out their modus yet.  So far I really like it.  Heard an amazing Terrapin today.  Have to admit the female singing is not doing much for me although sometimes it's not bad depending on the song.  A little too yoko ono or something at times.  Can I assume that is the infamous Donna I have been hearing so much about?  1972 is still my go to but love being exposed to all the different years.

Yes, that is Donna.  Whose singing generates a lot of mixed feelings among the Heads.  I've always been in the Donna camp, have always felt I'm in a minority position on that.  The GD station plays a wide variety of Dead eras in my (extensive) experience.  Sometimes when the do "Today in GD History", they may play parts of the same show over several days, which may be why you caught onto a '77 run.

David mentions the Dick's Picks re-issues again in the chat from last night. And more 69 shows coming out.

(I didn't get to see it last night. It's a good thing they archive these things.)

Someone must have changed their mind - I recall reading an interview with Dick or David where they said they would never consider using an AUD tape.

2/11/1970 - It would be cool to get that one. (The must be why he mentioned they acquired some tapes from 1970/1971.)

David mentions the Dick's Picks re-issues again in the chat from last night. And more 69 shows coming out.

(I didn't get to see it last night. It's a good thing they archive these things.)

Someone must have changed their mind - I recall reading an interview with Dick or David where they said they would never consider using an AUD tape.

2/11/1970 - It would be cool to get that one. (The must be why he mentioned they acquired some tapes from 1970/1971.)

If they're gonna do more '69 The Ark run (April 21-23) HAS to be considered. God I love those shows.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch Sunshine Daydream. I drove around with the CDs in my car last week, but I had never actually watched the entire film until last night.

A few random thoughts:

Some of the editing choices were a little questionable. Right around the time the announcer is mentioning that the water is not going to be sprayed because it's the same water used for "the shitters," the camera cuts to a toddler with chocolate ice cream all over his face. WTF? An unfortunate choice that probably could have been fixed!

One of those camera men was really, really fascinated with the half-naked black chick. Was she the only person of color there? It appears so. Kind of reminded me of that expression, "whiter than a Wilco concert." :lol

How long did they have Bill Murray on drums? No, in all seriousness, God bless Bill Kreutzmann. I realized last night that my favorite eras of the Dead are the times when Mickey was not in the band. Maybe Kreutzmann handled the pressure of being the only drummer better than having a second drummer, or maybe he got lazy when he had "help" from Mickey. All I know is that I have often felt that the rhythm section was the weakest link in the Dead, but I could never figure out why. (Think '76, when some rocking songs began to be played at a rather plodding pace). Anyway, I love Skull & Roses, I love Europe '72, and I love a whole lot of other stuff from '71-'74, and the absence of Mickey just might be the X factor.

Even the presence of "pole guy" could not ruin that majestic Bird Song. That might be a top 3 version for me.

The version of Dark Star is the Dead at their most lysergic and also their most masturbatory. Parts of it are sublime, but parts of it just get to be way too much. The shots of people in the crowd are kind of hilarious during the latter half. Even the freaks look like they are either bored or confused.

However - now I understand why some of you guys didn't dig the transition into El Paso. Poor Bob looks kind of pathetic up there trying to get people into it. I normally like their cover of that song, but the timing on that one is a "splat" indeed.

Where the hell is Keith? Oh, there he is, about an hour and thirteen minutes in. Ha!

Donna sounds really good harmonizing, because her voice is not that loud in the mix. Unfortunately, when she improvises, you can hear that she is flat on just about every note. Love her when she's on, cringeworthy when she's off. Too bad she couldn't hear herself in the monitors until around 1976.

The Monty Pythonesque sequences...well, no, that's an insult to Monty Python. Freaking awful. Just about anything else would have been better. 

Still and all, quite a nice artifact. Great to see Jerry young and truly in command of his instruments, both his guitar and voice. And again, God bless Billy Kreutzmann. I have a whole new appreciation for him.

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch Sunshine Daydream. I drove around with the CDs in my car last week, but I had never actually watched the entire film until last night.

A few random thoughts:

Some of the editing choices were a little questionable. Right around the time the announcer is mentioning that the water is not going to be sprayed because it's the same water used for "the shitters," the camera cuts to a toddler with chocolate ice cream all over his face. WTF? An unfortunate choice that probably could have been fixed!

One of those camera men was really, really fascinated with the half-naked black chick. Was she the only person of color there? It appears so. Kind of reminded me of that expression, "whiter than a Wilco concert." :lol

How long did they have Bill Murray on drums? No, in all seriousness, God bless Bill Kreutzmann. I realized last night that my favorite eras of the Dead are the times when Mickey was not in the band. Maybe Kreutzmann handled the pressure of being the only drummer better than having a second drummer, or maybe he got lazy when he had "help" from Mickey. All I know is that I have often felt that the rhythm section was the weakest link in the Dead, but I could never figure out why. (Think '76, when some rocking songs began to be played at a rather plodding pace). Anyway, I love Skull & Roses, I love Europe '72, and I love a whole lot of other stuff from '71-'74, and the absence of Mickey just might be the X factor.

Even the presence of "pole guy" could not ruin that majestic Bird Song. That might be a top 3 version for me.

The version of Dark Star is the Dead at their most lysergic and also their most masturbatory. Parts of it are sublime, but parts of it just get to be way too much. The shots of people in the crowd are kind of hilarious during the latter half. Even the freaks look like they are either bored or confused.

However - now I understand why some of you guys didn't dig the transition into El Paso. Poor Bob looks kind of pathetic up there trying to get people into it. I normally like their cover of that song, but the timing on that one is a "splat" indeed.

Where the hell is Keith? Oh, there he is, about an hour and thirteen minutes in. Ha!

Donna sounds really good harmonizing, because her voice is not that loud in the mix. Unfortunately, when she improvises, you can hear that she is flat on just about every note. Love her when she's on, cringeworthy when she's off. Too bad she couldn't hear herself in the monitors until around 1976.

The Monty Pythonesque sequences...well, no, that's an insult to Monty Python. Freaking awful. Just about anything else would have been better. 

Still and all, quite a nice artifact. Great to see Jerry young and truly in command of his instruments, both his guitar and voice. And again, God bless Billy Kreutzmann. I have a whole new appreciation for him.

Excellent post!  I too love the non-Mickey line up.  Seems it'd be much easier to jam with one drummer.  As far as Dark Star goes, I see where you're coming from.  At a point it becomes much more fun for Garcia than anyone else.  I mentioned earlier in this thread about the point in the DS where Bob just leers at Garcia, wipes his brow and says 'whew'.  Very interesting.  Was the El Paso a fuck you to Jerry?  

As far as editing goes, I just hate it when concert movies interlace crowd and visuals when members are soloing.  Especially Grateful Dead!  

Some of the official concert releases from the band have the "trip out" segments - hate it....would much rather see the instruments being played...

Yeah - the first couple View from the Vaults had the direct video screen feeds  --- while at the shows the screens, at times, could be interesting - not so much when watching it on the television at home.

Some of the official concert releases from the band have the "trip out" segments - hate it....would much rather see the instruments being played...

Holy fuck me too. Always hate that shit, AND, they often pan to it during shit like Garcia doing the "test me, test" line in Bertha or right before a transition in a tune/jam. Stupid, stupid shit.

Whoever created that shit must have eaten the brown acid at Woodstock or something. Pretty much anything would have been better than that.

A few ideas for what they could have done instead (not that it matters now):

1) Recycle crowd video from earlier in the movie...who would notice the difference?

2) Dub in some more Kesey/Pranksters/whatever stuff, like what was in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

3) Still photos of the band

4) Still photos of the crowd

5) Serious, even just some other trippy visual that doesn't look like a bad Monty Python imitation would have been better.

8) silent footage of Ted Cruz....

Well, okay, there are limits. :lol

I hate to complain at all, because it's such a great release, but like most things, I guess it's a mixed bag. The audio is nice, though, and that Bird Song really is quite a definitive version, for my money.

Anyone familiar with 11/30/80 care to comment on the new Dave's Pick? I am resisting the temptation to listen to it on archive.org, because I want to be surprised.

The Playin' is really really good. And I AM a huge fan of Playin'.