• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just checked out the VU DVD reunion from the library --- I always heard pretty negative things about this release, so I never bother to listen or watch it --- it's enjoyable, though. Flat, a bit, yes - but it's kinda cool to see them all on stage together. I think Sterling plays pretty good, too - sad he would be dead a couple of years later.  Cale does seem the most detached.

What that statement? ITs been around for a long time.

LouieB

I think it is attributable to Brian Eno.

I have actually been pretty surprised and gratified by the level of attention Lou Reed's death has gotten.  I guess I thought he was a bit more underground and obscure than he really was.

Lou was the right kind of obscure underground artist. He was intelligent and a damn good songwriter.

I have actually been pretty surprised and gratified by the level of attention Lou Reed's death has gotten.  I guess I thought he was a bit more underground and obscure than he really was.

Look at the attention that Alex Chilton got a few years ago and he was WAY more obscure than Lou Reed who had hit singles,tons of albums, and lead one of the most important groups of the 60s and 70s. He was hardly underground and not at all obscure, particularly compared to Alex Chilton.

LouieB

• 11 months later...

I see this kind of thing all the time that I want.  Mosaic just came out with the complete Dial Records sessions which is 9 CDs including the Charlie Parker, which I have, but it seems like I need this so badly.  So I need this VU too, but maybe not.  Oh and AMF and the Basement Tapes and when I see some of the year end best of box sets in the papers, etc. etc. etc.

LouieB

• 2 years later...

Listened to Songs for Drella this morning - I think for the first time, at least I don't remember listening to it before. Really great record.

Good call- excellent record- I'll have to give it a listen- it's been a minute.