• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jesus, i was watching the Berlin concert doc friday night on palladia.

what a monster, talent and huge influence.

VU changed my life in 1978 as a 12 year old.

God Bless and Rest in Peace.

Guest Don Draper

Wow, yeah.  What a loss.

I was out to brunch with some buddies when we found out, and the youngest guy (25?) said, "Who's Lou Reed?"  It dawned on me that we're entering into the third or fourth generation of rock and roll, and guys like Lou Reed are fading as a "duh" when you talk about rock.  Insane.

I haven't felt like this about a musical hero dying since Garcia. This one cuts really deep.

RIP.  The fixed points of light in my generation's universe are going out one by one. Something we're having to get used to.

Lou's responsible for the best and the lousiest concert experiences in my life :  the best - playing Berlin at the State Theatre Sydney 2007 - totally transcendent; the lousiest - his no-show at the Wellington Town Hall NZ in 1975.  Five minutes before he was due on stage the promoter came out and said Lou had some 'issues' and wouldn't be appearing - the audience shrugged and drifted off (next time he was in town he totally redeemed himself!).

I haven't felt like this about a musical hero dying since Garcia. This one cuts really deep.

Here too, Scott. Sometimes it's nice knowing that your musical idols aren't widely known. You can get closer to them and it's like you're in on some kind do secret.

Today, though, I wanted to turn on the radio and hear every station mourning Lou with marathons of his music.

Only saw him once, at the Chicago Theater in 2000, while he was supporting Ecstasy. Great, great, powerful show.

3/06/2000
CHICAGO THEATER, CHICAGO, IL
Setlist:
Paranoia Key Of E - Turn To Me - Modern Dance - Ecstasy - Small Town - Future Farmers Of America - Turning Time Around - Romeo Had Juliette - Riptide - Rock Minuet - Mystic Child - Tatters - Set The Twilight Reeling - Dime Store Mystery - The Blue Mask - Sweet Jane - Vicious - Dirty Blvd. - Perfect Day

• Lou Reed - vocals, guitar,
  • Mike Rathke - guitar
  • Fernando Saunders - bass, background vocals
  • Tony "Thunder" Smith - drums, percussion, background vocals

i said the exact same thing to my 74 year old mother

1974 Sophomore year in college....melancholy sets in. Not sure about anything I thought I knew and starting to realize I did not know shit....Velvet Underground 1969 playing over and over again....

If music is the soundtrack of life, then Lou Reed was a major player for me.

Levon, Lou Reed , and Keith Moon have been the hardest R&R deaths for me....

well New York City certainly isn't the same. I've gone through bouts of Velvet Underground and Lou Reed listening binges many times in my life. he was a cantankerous dude, but he made fantastic music. it's a shame that the younger generation doesn't know much about him. hate to see such talented musicians fade into the background.

I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with most of Lou's work as a solo artist or with the VU. I downloaded a copy of their eponymous 1969 record back in college and listen to it a few times a year. Listening to Loaded now and realizing I have some catching up to do. It's easy to hear how a song like "Who Loves the Sun" was largely influential on Jeff Tweedy's writing of classic pop songs. Must be why Wilco covered it at Solid Sound this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4CtcxfpQ0