You just can't live in Texas unless you got a lotta soul

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in Indiana, Nevada, California, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Texas, and San Antonio is by far the friendliest place I've ever lived. My neighbors are so wonderful that I can hardly believe it. I've never had a dry brisket; you must have hit the wrong places at the wrong time.

Haha!  My neighbors on either side of me were nice, everyone else kept to themselves.  Maybe because it was Terrell Hills?  Tommy Lee Jones lived on my street and and I was scared of him!

I used to live in San Antonio.  I can find positive things pretty much anywhere.  

The good: Central Market, breakfast tacos, Beto's, the King William district, a good bit of diversity, my kids were born there, access roads.  

The bad: The politics, the racism, I didn't go to UT or A&M so there were a huge percentage of the population that I was invisible to, the people who go on and on about how great Texas is without there being anything to back that up, every piece of brisket I've ever had was dry, the people as a whole are not nearly as friendly as the stereotype, subdivisions and big box stores.

I was happy with the opportunity to move to New England.

So you moved to New England to get away from racism...

I encounter far less racism here than in Texas.

I haven't encountered any more than I have in the other states in which I've lived. 

The demographics are so incredibly different that it's hard to make any sort of comparison: San Antonio's non-Hispanic whites make up only 25% of the population, while states like Vermont and Maine are more than 95% white.

I remember once I was hanging out in Burlington, Vt., and I came across a black fellow and I was like, "Damn, you must be awful lonely."

As a lifelong resident of the Hudson Valley in upstate New York, I can say there is a shit-ton of racism here, but it is considered extremely tacky to express it publicly. Get people in private and if they think you think like they think, you will hear things.

And of course Bob Wills and the guitar-playin' Vaughn brothers.

My neighbor texted and invited me to Christmas dinner with his family. Then my other neighbor invited me to dinner with *his* family. That would never have happened in any of my previous neighborhoods.

Ha - true. In New York, that would be seen as some kind of attempt to lure one in to be murdered.

My neighbor texted and invited me to Christmas dinner with his family. Then my other neighbor invited me to dinner with *his* family. That would never have happened in any of my previous neighborhoods.

During the Ice Storm two weekends ago, some neighbors posted on the neighborhood Facebook page about needing some milk and wanting some burgers. We have a 4-wheel drive, so we picked up food and groceries for everyone and the families walked over and ate at our house.

Being neighborly is a good thing. Keeping an eye on each other's houses, helping out, loaning, small talk when we see one another, etc., all that happens with my immediate neighbors and myself. The having over for dinner, hanging out type behaviors? Those are only reserved for friends. I can't recall any neighbors since childhood that I had any desire to befriend. Not enough in common and/or serious differences between us put the kibosh on spending real time together. I can imagine having neighbors that become my friends, I just haven't experienced it.

We're all friends. Everyone gets along perfectly. The husbands hang out, drink beer and help each other with home repairs and projects. The wives drink wine and socialize and the kids play with each other.

Several of the neighbors were friends or co-workers who visited and decided to move there because of the excellent neighborhood dynamics. Two old Army buddies are trying to convince their spouses to buy a house on our streets.

Last summer I almost had to have a wall that a neighbor erected on association property torn down if he didnt change it and agree to a list devised by the board. That was a special time for the neighborhood. He and I have not spoken since (no great loss).

I'd say that 50% of the residents on our 2 streets socialize all week long, 25% occasionally join in and the other 25% are friendly but tend to stick to themselves. We have one couple who are complete oddballs and another guy (retired NJ corrections officer) who was an absolute curmudgeon most of the time, but he moved and a very nice couple bought their house. They drink beer with us and let the neighborhood kids play with the guide dogs that they train.

Our kids always played with the neighbor kids, just as I did, but no friendships ever developed between us and the other parents. Neighborly acquaintances, at most. That is very interesting to me, your description of your neighborhood. Nothing wrong with it at all, it just sounds extraordinary.

What band was he in?

I'm friendly with my neighbors in New England.  We plow each other's driveways, whoever has a generator invites people over for dinner and laundry when the power goes out, if someone has surgery or dies you are inundated with food.  Maybe it's because I live in a rural area of CT, and in TX I lived in the city, but my neighbors are much friendlier here.  

I grew up in upstate NY and yes, racism is still rampant there.  But I just don't see it as much here.  No one is going to convince me otherwise.

Yes, Texas has Shiner.  But New England has Heady Topper.  :beer