You just can't live in Texas unless you got a lotta soul

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For this reason alone, I have no desire to ever visit the state. To say that the other 49 states "don't understand state pride because they don't have much to be prideful of" is not only untrue but also pretty obnoxious.

right, because that was the State of Texas speaking DIRECTLY TO YOU.

NoJ, you were drunk, weren't you? Getting ripped off, breaking an ankle, and (undoubtably), throwing away pain killers.

No, not at all. I was so sober that I insisted in informing the docs at the ER that the sprain wasnt alcohol related.

The sprain was more of a....oh, there's a good short cut to get back to the motel, just gotta hop that one fence......which we did and hours later the sprain showed up when I tried going to sleep and discovered that my foot/ankle wasnt going to let me. Odd but true.

right, because that was the State of Texas speaking DIRECTLY TO YOU.

No, I don't think it has much to do with me at all. I suspect that many people would find that whole paragraph obnoxious, and therefore have little interest in interacting with people who espouse such attitudes.

By the way, I had a serious girlfriend years ago who was from TX, and she and her brother were classic examples of this syndrome. They were really homesick, I guess, and were always complaining about where they were (Connecticut) and comparing it - unfavorably, of course - with TX. My mom had a friend from Germany who did the same thing vis-a-vis the U.S.

I know from living in Florida all these years that human nature is such that when you live somewhere, and people come from somewhere else and criticize your home, it's only natural to say, "Well, if you don't like it here, why don't you go back where you came from?"

No, not at all. I was so sober that I insisted in informing the docs at the ER that the sprain wasnt alcohol related.

The sprain was more of a....oh, there's a good short cut to get back to the motel, just gotta hop that one fence......which we did and hours later the sprain showed up when I tried going to sleep and discovered that my foot/ankle wasnt going to let me. Odd but true.

You're drunk right now, aren't you?

Growing up, I had a neighbor whose family was from Paulsboro, NJ.  The son was a good kid and close friend of mine at the time.  But hearing the dad (who was a bad, bad drunk) talk about how great life was in Paulsboro, you'd think the place was Shangri-freaking-la.  Years later I was staffed on a project in suburban Philly and just had to take a drive out to see the place.  If this had happened during the facebook era, I would have likely posted an unflattering pic of the town and cyber-bullied them to tears (no, not really).  But instead I just continued driving, feeling smugly superior to my old nemesis.

So yeah, not all assholes are from Texas.

I've had a houseguest from a Denver for the last 2 weeks; he's a pot-smoking, punk rock guitarist and avid skateboarder. Today he opened a bank account as the first step in establishing residency. He said that he's decided to move here because "Texas is fucking rad."

I've had a houseguest from a Denver for the last 2 weeks; he's a pot-smoking, punk rock guitarist and avid skateboarder. Today he opened a bank account as the first step in establishing residency. He said that he's decided to move here because "Texas is fucking rad."

You may have to remind him that he said and did all this.

For this reason alone, I have no desire to ever visit the state. To say that the other 49 states "don't understand state pride because they don't have much to be prideful of" is not only untrue but also pretty obnoxious.

Even people who live in NYC - which has the Northeast's version of "we are the center of the universe" syndrome - have the decency to complain about how bad it is now compared to the good old days. And they have been doing that since the 1800s or something. Kinda cool in it's own weird way...

I much prefer the midwest's approach to pride in general, as exemplified by Garrison Keillor's monologues. Everything is "oh, pretty good," or "not that bad." A little humility goes a long way.

By the way, I have been through TX a couple times, via Houston airport and possibly Dallas/Ft. Worth. Nothing memorable. There are plenty of better airports in other parts of the world. Ha!

It is certainly a bone of contention. But go anywhere in the world and tell them you're from Texas. There is an immediate recognition and understanding.

A layover at Airports doesn't exactly make one an 'expert'. Not that you care or would, but the 11 hour drive across the State from Texarkana to El Paso, you'll see four to five different eco systems.

Humility is for the humble.

No, I don't think it has much to do with me at all. I suspect that many people would find that whole paragraph obnoxious, and therefore have little interest in interacting with people who espouse such attitudes.

By the way, I had a serious girlfriend years ago who was from TX, and she and her brother were classic examples of this syndrome. They were really homesick, I guess, and were always complaining about where they were (Connecticut) and comparing it - unfavorably, of course - with TX. My mom had a friend from Germany who did the same thing vis-a-vis the U.S.

I know from living in Florida all these years that human nature is such that when you live somewhere, and people come from somewhere else and criticize your home, it's only natural to say, "Well, if you don't like it here, why don't you go back where you came from?"

We have a couple of sayings here:  We don't give a shit how you did it in (fill in the blank); I-20 runs both ways.

I'm sure that there are many more people who have come from Connecticut to Texas than vice versa. Hell, sometimes it seems like every other jerk you run into was formerly a resident of Michigan, Illinois or New York.

We have a couple of sayings here:  We don't give a shit how you did it in (fill in the blank); I-20 runs both ways.

Florida is a hell of a lot like that, too. Except here, it's I-75.

In Connecticut, I noticed that when people would talk about how great it was where they were from, people would just say, "Really? That's interesting. Sounds nice," etc. It wasn't always taken as an insult. Well, except when that German lady kept criticizing America to my Mom. :lol

As for the different ecosystems, I think that's great. I am a nature boy at heart, and would probably wax enthusiastic so much about the beautiful bluebonnets that people would think I'm gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I'm sure that there are many more people who have come from Connecticut to Texas than vice versa. Hell, sometimes it seems like every other jerk you run into was formerly a resident of Michigan, Illinois or New York.

I left Texas for Connecticut.  True story.

I am never leaving New York for any other state, except maybe Colorado or Washington.

I am never leaving New York for any other state, except maybe Colorado or Washington.

Those are definitely the only two states I would consider leaving Texas for. Although, I could throw in Montana, but I would need to be in or close to Missoula.

Just to freak out my fiancee, I wanted to leave a Google search for "journalism jobs in Colorado" up on my computer screen where she would see it.

You going to do an 'agriculture' column?