You just can't live in Texas unless you got a lotta soul

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ribs, brisket and sausage served on paper with a few slices of bread; maybe some beans on the side. Sauce and utensils are optional, but mostly unnecessary.

z1FOVvL.jpg

Ahhh cool! Now I'm drooling. You eat the onions raw? And what do you do with the crackers?

Texas is the only state that does barbecue correctly. If it needs sauce, it's wrong.

Mums are dumb. I still don't understand why they are necessary.

I've never seen Boudin spelled any other way than the correct way.

If you want good barbecue, there are many places better than Rudy's.

I'm going to have to head to Rudy's this weekend.

I'm visiting my family and friends in Orange County at the moment and there's a bottle of Rudy's Sause on the table in front of me. I brought out 4 bottles of it this trip, much to the TSA's consternation.

That picture looks like a crime scene.

A few arteries were murdered, but that's why God invented coronary bypass surgery.

You eat the onions raw? And what do you do with the crackers?

I hate onions and don't bother with crackers, but I guess they're just palate cleansers and/or side snacks.

If you want good barbecue, there are many places better than Rudy's.

It's not bad for a chain. The original is closest to my house and I've found that the franchise outlets are sometimes of lesser quality.

The photo that I stole posted was taken at City Market in Luling. It's my favorite.

I do miss the BBQ in Texas.  Although I hear Memphis is where the real BBQ is.

By the way I'm not saying Texans are racist.  I'm saying it was eye opening moving there from Minnesota as I had not heard people openly say the stuff they did in Texas.  Maybe it was just less hidden or whatever but it sticks in my mind.  But I have to admit, I don't remember living anywhere that had such warm friendly people.  Southern Hospitality I guess.

I honestly had the same thought. Like a police photo from an apartment where bodies were found. 

That said, I would house everything on that sheet, including the crackers and onions and bread I guess (when in Rome type shit).

Rudy's is perfectly good bbq.  Yes there are better places in Texas, but most of them aren't within reasonable driving distance of where I live, and a lot of them don't have a fucking clue how to make sauce without putting a bunch of sugar in it.

To much sugar uggh  that shit is the worst. I've been lamenting the rise of Sweet Thai Chili sauce as the most common chili based condiment available in these parts. I grew up with Indonesian food so we've always had Sambal olek or manis now its all sweet this sweet that.

Ribs, brisket and sausage served on paper with a few slices of bread; maybe some beans on the side. Sauce and utensils are optional, but mostly unnecessary.

z1FOVvL.jpg

Looks about right...but most places I frequent don't serve and entire sausage

One other thing about Texas; they spell "Boudin" with an "a".  Only those of us from Louisiana will understand this. 

Never seen that.

Besides...we normally just call it sausage.

mess-texas.jpg

So what's up with the queso, Crow?  I live in Florida and I'm sure I have no idea.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/authentic-chile-con-queso-recipe

A Beaumont firm insulting Cajuns:

http://www.zummo.com/products.asp

Well...the title of this thread isn't YOU JUST CAN'T LIVE IN LOUISIANA UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO SPELL BOUDIN.

I bet it's the best tasting crime scene since at least Manson.

I used to live in San Antonio.  I can find positive things pretty much anywhere.  

The good: Central Market, breakfast tacos, Beto's, the King William district, a good bit of diversity, my kids were born there, access roads.  

The bad: The politics, the racism, I didn't go to UT or A&M so there were a huge percentage of the population that I was invisible to, the people who go on and on about how great Texas is without there being anything to back that up, every piece of brisket I've ever had was dry, the people as a whole are not nearly as friendly as the stereotype, subdivisions and big box stores.

I was happy with the opportunity to move to New England.

every piece of brisket I've ever had was dry, the people as a whole are not nearly as friendly as the stereotype

I've lived in Indiana, Nevada, California, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Texas, and San Antonio is by far the friendliest place I've ever lived. My neighbors are so wonderful that I can hardly believe it. I've never had a dry brisket; you must have hit the wrong places at the wrong time.