Artists you only like 1 or 2 songs from

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand people not digging MMJ's studio albums, because many of them are drenched with reverb and just sound stale and restrained.  But that Okonokos live album has some bounce-into-the-walls good stuff on it.

I understand people not digging MMJ's studio albums, because many of them are drenched with reverb and just sound stale and restrained.  But that Okonokos live album has some bounce-into-the-walls good stuff on it.

I second this. It's too bad a song like "Golden" ruined it for some of you. It's a good song, but not MMJ at their best.

Before the days of easy downloads, I started to collect all of Bowie's early studio discs from one of those disc-of-the-month subscriptions. I think I have everything up through Heroes. That's borderline hardcore, right?

I could make a long list for this thread:

Green Day

Phil Collins

The Guess Who

Badfinger

April Wine

Wilson Pickett

Emilie Mover

Stevie Wonder

Eurythmics

Feist

Patsy Cline

Hot Tuna

Big Star

Jay Farrar

REM

The Walkmen

They Might Be Giants

Oasis

Television

The Band

Seriously, my list of artists who I like a lot of would be much shorter. :lol

Before the days of easy downloads, I started to collect all of Bowie's early studio discs from one of those disc-of-the-month subscriptions. I think I have everything up through Heroes. That's borderline hardcore, right?

I could make a long list for this thread:

Green Day

Phil Collins

The Guess Who

Badfinger

April Wine

Wilson Pickett

Emilie Mover

Stevie Wonder

Eurythmics

Feist

Patsy Cline

Hot Tuna

Big Star

Jay Farrar

REM

The Walkmen

They Might Be Giants

Oasis

Television

The Band

Seriously, my list of artists who I like a lot of would be much shorter. :lol

Surely you like more than 1-2 songs from Jay Farrar...

Not sure this belongs here or in the blasphemy thread. Heroes is one of my favorite songs by any artist but I don't really care for David Bowie. I don't dislike him but he doesn't do much for me.

Have you listened to Hunky Dory or The Man Who Sold The World? Both are absolute classics.

Surely you like more than 1-2 songs from Jay Farrar...

I was thinking of his solo career. I like Route and Drown. The rest is kind of so-so for me. I think LouieB wrote on here that Jay keeps writing the same song over and over. I can relate to that point of view.

Fleetwood Mac - I only like Tusk

Also two people mentioned Big Star?  There is something wrong with those people.  

If you only like Tusk, you might want to explore some earlier incarnations before the Buckingham/Nicks era!

Big Star, I like the songs that Wilco covered. I haven't heard any crap from them, but I haven't gotten into them yet. And I have given them a fair shot.

I love Hendrix, but for me, the first two albums are the best, and then Electric Ladyland is a mixed bag. Everything after that is a really mixed bag. I know A-man would disagree, but a lot of the later stuff sounds the same. Hey Baby, Earth Blues...I think those two are pretty much interchangeable. Many of those songs are forgettable, especially compared to Purple Haze, Spanish Castle Magic...you know, all the stuff Jimi got tired of playing. :lol

Sorry, but the involvement of Buddy Miles really dragged Jimi down, IMO. He was always a little under-confident about his vocals, and then Buddy was free to take some of them over. I was just listening to a show from early 1970, and it has this We Got To Live Together jam that goes on and on and on. It is boring as shit. The word "boring" should never be in the same sentence as the name Jimi Hendrix.

Machine Gun...eh, I have to be in the right frame of mind for that one. Not even in my top 20 for Hendrix songs.

Damn, we really derailed this thread. :lol

You're right, of course. He was only 27. I just meant that, if you examine his career as a whole, the peak was '67 or '68 at the latest. If he had lived, there might have been an upward trajectory. I personally feel like he got a little lost, what with too much touring, feeling like a circus act, the drugs, etc. Personally, I like the jams with Larry Young on organ best out of all his later stuff. That shit rules.