Teenage fanclub

I just wanted to say that somehow despite believing I was the expert on early nineties alt rock , I somehow missed the boat on teenage fanclub. Last week I downloaded bandwagonesque after hearing the concept, and I can't believe it. They are like a Scottish lemonheads or Dino jr or modern big star or byrds or man every song is perfect I'm going nuts about this band!!!

Holy shit.

You have SO MUCH to discover!!!!

Although they do loose that Dino Jr./grunge edge to their sound pretty much immediately after Bandwagonesque.

Still, IMO, Songs From Northern Britain is their best album. GET IT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mMPxxDb7xY

And yes, every song on there is pretty much this good. A couple are better.

Grand Prix is my favorite, too.

Bought Bandwagonesque when it was released - didn't like it (then) and never paid any attention to them until they released  Man-Made, which I picked up because it was produced by John McEntire - bought the rest of their catalog shortly afterwards. I enjoy Bandwagonesque now - but it is still probably my least favorite of theirs.

Did see them live a few years back at Lincoln Hall in Chicago - great, fun show.

Fun fact: they recorded Man-Made in Chicago, and in the liner notes they thank Wilco for the loan of a guitar.

I love these guys.  Agree with others above that Songs from Northern Britain and Grand Prix are their best records, but they haven't made a bad one.

Rumor has it they're working on a new album and will tour again later this year.

At this point the song hang on from thirteen is blowing my mind, the riff that was either copped from trex or nirvana, the way the melody falls in after the heavy intro, the lyrics, "of all the stars that I've seen you are the sun". Wowee zowee

• 3 weeks later...

great - there is just soo much to explore with this band. For instance my favourite Fannies song is Hi Fi - and i think it is some B-side from Grand Prix. So much talent to casually toss aside such a good song.

saw the New Mendicants last year and fell in love with Norman's guitar:

mrblakesguitar_zpscb628feb.jpg

Blake now lives in Waterloo and Pernice in Toronto, so I'm counting myself lucky for more of these small shows.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...