• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like everything about her (my friends all know I have a soft spot for a girl playing electric guitar), but her writing style particularly catches my attention.  She has a great way of turning a phrase, and capturing a unique perspective on the ordinary and everyday.

I use "Elevator Operator" (the first song on her album) as a prime example of this. She paints such a vivid picture of the lives of these people in the song that I am left longing for more about their lives. I want the novelization of these people after this moment in time that she beautifully captures with humor and pathos. The same goes for "Depreston."

I like everything about her (my friends all know I have a soft spot for a girl playing electric guitar), but her writing style particularly catches my attention.  She has a great way of turning a phrase, and capturing a unique perspective on the ordinary and everyday.

I use "Elevator Operator" (the first song on her album) as a prime example of this. She paints such a vivid picture of the lives of these people in the song that I am left longing for more about their lives. I want the novelization of these people after this moment in time that she beautifully captures with humor and pathos. The same goes for "Depreston."

Exactly.

• 2 months later...
Just saw that Courtney and Depreston are the latest Song Exploder podcast treatment. Haven't listened yet, but have the podcast downloaded and cued up to listen to during my morning commute. Should be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a link to it

http://www.spin.com/2016/01/courtney-barnett-depreston-song-exploder-stream/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 16-year-old son is now in to her. Really wants to go see her next time she comes to Chicago. Of course, he doesn't want to go with his dad, but at the same time, he doesn't know a single person at his high school who has even heard of her, let alone is a fan.

My then 24 year old son turned me on to her when he got his hands on a pre-release leaked copy of Sometimes I Sit and Think...He had been listening to her for a while already and claims he had already played Avant Gardner for me, but I must not have been focused.  I love it when the wheel turns round.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Courtney last night, election night, in Denver. Breaking out an acoustic version of this election night blues tune, Drunk on Election Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koUNOucbPLs

I went to a party with my girl in the city
On election night
I was hoping everybody’d make a move to the left

But we gone and made a swing to the left

Now I’m singing the blues for the country
As we move into another long night

I said ‘you’re making a fool of the country holding hands with the Christian right’
Then I turned to my girl and I cried…
Gonna jump that train and ride

Sail on the next high tide

Just to get away from that cocksucker motherfucker
Playing on my mind and darkening our times

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...