Went to see her the other night at a little place in Hamden CT on the recommendation of a buddy and she was great.  She's young but apparently making a name for herself.  She was at Coachella last week, did an NPR Tiny Desk Concert (solo), etc.  Literate, interesting songs that play well acoustically or with her band.  She was with a trio and really rocked out some of the stuff that on Youtube was done quietly.  It all worked - a sign of a true artist.  Got to check out more of this.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that song of hers.

Hamden, eh? Used to live close to there. Didn't think there were any music venues in Hamden, actually!

Steve Rogers used to be in an area band called Mighty Purple.  He opened a little place called The Space that books local stuff and some good national acts that are good for small rooms.  Saw the California Guitar Trio with Tony Levin and Pat Mastellato ther with my then-thirteen year-old daughter a few years back; intimate setting and decent sound.  They've added another performance space/bar in a neighboring building building, The Outer Space.  Peter Murphy is coming there in the near future.

• 10 months later...

This topic needs a bump.

Got introduced to Courtney Barnett a few weeks ago (by my 25 year old son-nice to have the wheel spin 'round), and I've become pretty obsessed with her since.  Been listening to the Double EP and the iTunes sessions, and lots of live footage on YouTube.  She seems to be breaking out all over right now with the release of her first label release, Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit. Great reviews for the album, and I concur. (I got the orange vinyl).  Love her songs, very witty and great tunes.  My friends all know I'm a sucker for a girl playing a Tele!

So if you haven't picked up the new release, I'd say go do it!

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9611-tired-and-hungry-and-alive-36-hours-with-courtney-barnett/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=articles&utm_campaign=features

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/courtney-barnett-writes-all-the-best-songs/

http://pitchfork.com/news/58852-courtney-barnett-performs-depreston-on-ellen/

She's incredible! Became obsessed with The Double EP and I love the new album. It's nice to see her getting all the early recognition. Hyden's been championing the new album ever since he first heard it, and that's a good story/interview on Grantland.

i like her style. some of her songs could use a bit more variation (which is weird, coming from someone who likes The Fall). saw her last year w/ Benjamin Booker at the Sinclair, and now they both have sold out shows there soon.

I scored a ticket for her next show at The Sinclair, very psyched.

Thanks to the original poster and to those who've given it a bump today. I'm really digging her new album and just bought a ticket to see her in NOLA in June. She definitely seems worthy of the hype.

I jumped on board with The Double EP, and picked up the new one this week.  Love it.  I'm a bit surprised at how much attention it's receiving, but I'm happy for Ms. Barnett!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else hear a lot of Mark Oliver Everett (Eels) in Courtney Barnett?  While listening to Barnett's "Debbie Downer" today, I couldn't help but think of Eels' "Friendly Ghost."  Obviously the vocals are very different, but there seems to be some common ground musically and lyrically.

"Debbie Downer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgWDPEEuHx4

"Friendly Ghost"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0WE963XV-k

• 1 month later...

If you don't have her excellent album, you can download it at Amazon for a fin.

She seems to channel everything I love about the original Modern Lovers LP, while being a distinct personality with an undeniably Australian delivery.  I think I've listened to "Depreston" a couple dozen times these last couple weeks.

Bought the new one a couple of days ago, and I saw the double EP for cheap yesterday, so I bought that one too.

I liked it, but just didn't get the hype at first.

And, maybe it's cognitive dissonance speaking, but I'm starting to get it now.

• 3 weeks later...

It makes me a bigger fan that she likes my favorite Wilco record so much.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/06/23/415766114/guest-dj-courtney-barnett?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20150623#playlist

Wilco

• Handshake Drugs

"I remember when I first heard Wilco, and that was a year or so after I released my first EP. I heard a bunch of songs on someone's shuffle. That band stood out as something different, and again, it was a bit of a life-changing musical moment for me.

"'Handshake Drugs' would be the one that stood out. I've never been good at putting it into words. For one thing, that line, 'Exactly what do you want me to be?', that punches you right in the heart. I love it. But just the general groove and the three chords, it's this transfixing ... It goes for how long? Six, seven minutes? It's kind of dreamy ... you disappear into it. And then it all falls apart in the guitar at the end. It's incredible. ... [it's about] the contrast or something, the beauty in the contrast.

"I feel like I'd written my first EP songs, and then I discovered this band. From then on ... Everything that comes into your life changes it in some way. It feels like a lot of those songs that I'd done on the first EP were kind of like, they knew what was coming, if that makes sense. I was trying to write really simple, repetitive, one-chord, two-chord songs and find those contrasting moments. I think apart from the songwriting and the general writing, the dynamics in the playing has been a pretty big thing for me. From then on, [i've been] going into studios and making more music and just being really aware of how powerful that actually is, on top the song itself and the lyrics and the music ... starting super quiet and [with] beautiful piano and whatever, and crunching into something huge and ugly, but beautiful."