Well, if I've already been obsessed with CB and her music over the last couple of months, her stock has now risen even higher in my book. This entire broadcast rings true to me, starting with the cross-generational appeal of her music.  I started taking my kids to shows when they were 9 and 7.  In a "what goes around comes around" way, a few months ago, my now 25 year old son emailed me the he had gotten a drop of the new CB album and he strongly recommended I check it out. He also sent me a link to the Steven Hyden piece on her on Grantland.  I was sold.  Quickly got the double EP and Sometimes I Sit and Think as soon as it came out.  I saw her at the Sinclair in Cambridge a couple months ago.  My son caught the 2 shows at the 9:30 Club this past weekend that Boilen refers to in this broadcast.  With all that as background, to hear her talk about Wilco/Handshake Drugs and Talking Heads/Once In A Lifetime confirms all my instincts about her and her musical and lyrics sensibilities.    

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Courtney Barnett will be on CBS Saturday Morning today in their Saturday Sessions segment. The show is on from 9am-11am, but the music segment is usually during the second hour. There'll be an interview and performance. It'll probably get archived somewhere later, but if anyone is reading this in real time, turn on your TVs.

Courtney Barnett will be on CBS Saturday Morning today in their Saturday Sessions segment. The show is on from 9am-11am, but the music segment is usually during the second hour. There'll be an interview and performance. It'll probably get archived somewhere later, but if anyone is reading this in real time, turn on your TVs.

Thanks for the tip, I will check this out:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/126845/DVR-Rewind-Courtney-Barnett-On-CBS-Saturday-Sessions

I think it's repetitive, too.  I enjoyed her Tiny Desk Concert, so I'll keep listening and hope that it clicks.  Her voice is by far the dominant sound in the mix, as it should be, I suppose.  Unfortunately, her singing is completely devoid of range.  Somehow, that gets amplified in a rock band context.