Does anyone even  know who Ross James is?  How about Jordan Levine, he plays percussion and played with Phil last night (as did Ross), there is a percussion set up there so I'm guessing it's just a mater of time.

I thought Nels fit in really well. I especially liked the energy between him and John Scofield. I'll admit I would much rather hear him play noisy jazz than Dead-style jams, but I think he definitely impressed some folks last night. I know there was a lot of complaining when Wilco was announced as part of the Lock'n lineup, but hopefully this helps to silence the complainers a bit.

It's been cool to see all the different things Nels has been doing during the Wilco break. As much as I'm starting to miss Wilco, I'd be curious to see what else he could pack into a few more months of time off.

I thought Nels fit in really well. I especially liked the energy between him and John Scofield. I'll admit I would much rather hear him play noisy jazz than Dead-style jams, but I think he definitely impressed some folks last night.

I loved last night however I actually have some mixed feelings, I love Nels and I'm a big Deadhead who loves just about everything Phil Lesh, so maybe I had higher expectations, who knows.  There were times that it appeared Nels was a little too aggressive, perhaps not really knowing the songs and transitions, he just seemed to go full tilt instead of easing his way into the jams, not so much of a "long strange trip thing" as much as a "and here we are" kind of thing.  He certainly got some "what the f--- are you doing looks from John K", however there were times John K seemed to enjoy it too.  Phil clearly loves Nels, no doubt about that.  I thought the interplay between Medeski and Nels was amazing, however it appeared to me at times that John S. was laying back, I was kind of hoping for more interplay between the two, maybe they both occupy the same spacey space so they had to make more room for each other.

I have no idea what Phil was trying to do with the second verse of Dark Star, to me that was cringe worthy.

Truth be told, I also wanted to be more into it than I actually was. I went through a very passionate Dead phase in my early twenties, and Nels is my favorite musician, so I thought I'd love it. I was at my boyfriend's house and didn't even stay for the whole thing. I may opt to watch some of the Primavera Sound webcast tonight instead. I'm glad I got to see it, but it was more of a novelty than something I was really into. 

Last night was awesome!!!  The Viola Lee was one of my all time favorites!  I think Nels fit in so much better last night then he did on the first night, I'm hoping he plays more with Phil because it has some serious potential.  That line up is by far the best Phil has had since the Q.

Last night was awesome!!! The Viola Lee was one of my all time favorites! I think Nels fit in so much better last night then he did on the first night, I'm hoping he plays more with Phil because it has some serious potential. That line up is by far the best Phil has had since the Q.

Hoping for some Nels and Phil interplay at Lockn'

My boyfriend has a multi-cam recording of most of the recent NC Singers' show in Baltimore up on YouTube. I think there's one more piece he'll be putting up later today. He also has a few songs from the next night in DC. The quality isn't as good on those, but it's still a lot better than most of what's on YouTube. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOPXmNtsewJkg88SyMco7-w

Strange, we thought he was going to be here:

Jun 4: Nels Cline performs with Go: Organic Guitar Orchestra Shape Shifter Lab Brooklyn, NY

maybe he pulled double duty?

Very well could have - he only played on the two song encore -- must have been pushing 12:30am by the time he hit Ratdog stage.

Really enjoyed the Viola Lee Blues from the second show Nels did with Phil. Some of the most interesting post-Dead music I've heard in a long time. Things start to get weird around the 6 minute mark. Each verse is sung at a different tempo with a variation on the melody. Around the 11 minute mark, they almost enter into Spiders territory, but not quite. Then a seamless transition into Eyes of the World. Real nice. Both Nels and Scofield play much differently than the melodic style of Garcia and everyone who has tried to fill his shoes. Enjoyed this inventive and fresh approach.

Strange, we thought he was going to be here:

Jun 4: Nels Cline performs with Go: Organic Guitar Orchestra Shape Shifter Lab Brooklyn, NY

maybe he pulled double duty?

In addition to the above and sitting in with Ratdog, latter in the night (or I guess technically first thing at 12:30am the next morning) ---- he also had a studio session with Anthony Braxton in the afternoon. (info from the Tales from the Golden Road - a Dead XM radio show).

Hopefully, the Braxton session is released, someday.

• 2 weeks later...