Under the ‘Macroscope’ with Nels Cline (Wilco, MMW, Grateful Dead)

The Wilco guitarist and veteran free-improviser on his new Singers record and connecting with his classic rock roots.

Singers and Supporters

Macroscope is the first Nels Cline Singers record with bassist Trevor Dunn, although he’s been playing with the band for over two years. We did most of the recording at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, Calif. [Drummer] Scott Amendola works in Berkeley and the people at Fantasy are so sweet and kind to me. We didn’t really have much of a plan going into it other than there would be guests on the record. Josh Jones, an Oakland-based percussionist and drummer, plays on a few songs. Zeena Parkins came by and played some electric harp, but we ended up just using one short jam with her. My wife, Yuka C. Honda, played some electric piano and Cyro Baptista (John Zorn, Trey Anastasio) added some percussion. I wrote “Red Before Orange” in the studio—it’s kind of a fusion lounge-jazz number that’s amusing to me—to entertain my wife, just thinking she’d get a kick out of the chords in the bridge. And I wanted her to play Rhodes on it. But instead of staying in the lounge zone, it kind of goes psychedelic and I do some sort of a Hendrix tribute. The name Singers came from my attempt to come up with a new generic term for a group such as combo, band, ensemble or unit. So I just thought Singers was funny but also kind of poetic.

Planet MMW

I met Medeski Martin & Wood once when Wilco was at a festival in Jackson Hole, Wyo., but the first time I played with them was when we did a show together at the Blue Note in New York last year. Playing with them is kind of like landing on a planet that I understand. I recently recorded an album with them at a studio up in Woodstock, N.Y., in front of 40 or 50 people. We played two improvised sets and then, John Medeski engineered, edited and mixed it. We are touring Europe together this spring and I went to Europe with BB&C [also featuring Jim Black and Tim Berne]. So I’ll have two all-improvised trips to Europe.

Weird Baggage

I was a huge, huge Allman Brothers fan from the time the first record was released. I heard “Don’t Want You No More” and “It’s Not My Cross to Bear” on KPPC’s Underground Radio before the album was released, and I just basically called the record store until it came out. I saw them when I was in high school about a month before Duane Allman was killed but after Duane, it was too sad for me to listen to their music for decades. I had a phase during the last five years where I’d drive around LA listening to the first two records—it’s hard for me to listen to their At Fillmore East record because I used to listen to it literally every day when I’d come home from school, so there’s a lot of weird baggage there. I was kind of driving around in my car listening to those records a lot for a while, not feeling sad but getting excited. And then, I met the director of the Allman Brothers museum and he offered Wilco the opportunity of playing Duane’s ‘57 Goldtop Les Paul at a gig in Atlanta. I was completely freaked out. Now, I’ve played that guitar many times and I’ve also become friends with Duane Allman’s daughter Galadrielle. I ended up sitting in with the Allman Brothers at the Beacon a couple of times, too.

Grateful Dead DNA

My twin brother, Alex, bought the first Grateful Dead record when it came out because we were both very focused on San Francisco rock bands when we were 13, and he bought Live/ Dead, Aoxomoxoa and Anthem of the Sun. When they stopped being psychedelic and put out Workingman’s Dead, he totally lost interest and I became really excited. I saw them around ‘71 and after that, I got into prog-rock and jazz-rock and free-improvised music and I didn’t follow them into Terrapin Station and beyond. But when Wilco did the AmericanaramA tour with Bob

Dylan, My Morning Jacket and Bob Weir, I was amazed when Jeff Tweedy said Bob Weir wanted to sit in with us. The idea of the tour was that we were all gonna cross-pollinate, which isn’t what happened. I never even met [bob Dylan] and it seemed like his band—who are all amazing and really sweet guys—were forbidden to play with anybody before Bob’s set. So Jeff and the guys in MMJ took it upon themselves to mix it up. Jeff asked Bob [Weir] right away because we had just played “Ripple” during a covers set at Solid Sound. It really impressed everyone in the band that he was just good to go.

Dark California Stars

Jeff just kept tossing more songs at Bob for possibilities but the song Bob really wanted to do was “St. Stephen,” which the Dead rarely did in their later years. The thing on the list that Jeff immediately wanted to do was “Dark Star.” I kept reminding him that it’s a jam song but he was so open— he just really wanted to play it. And then, he heard me sing it on the bus—I was sort of imitating Jerry’s voice—and Jeff said, “You have to sing on this.” Jeff asked Bob if it would be OK and decided to mix it with our song “California Stars”—just change the second chord to a minor chord so that they would connect tonally. The only times I’ve ever sang with Wilco were the two times we did “Dark Star.”

Dark California Stars

Jeff just kept tossing more songs at Bob for possibilities but the song Bob really wanted to do was “St. Stephen,” which the Dead rarely did in their later years. The thing on the list that Jeff immediately wanted to do was “Dark Star.” I kept reminding him that it’s a jam song but he was so open— he just really wanted to play it. And then, he heard me sing it on the bus—I was sort of imitating Jerry’s voice—and Jeff said, “You have to sing on this.” Jeff asked Bob if it would be OK and decided to mix it with our song “California Stars”—just change the second chord to a minor chord so that they would connect tonally. The only times I’ve ever sang with Wilco were the two times we did “Dark Star.”

This is so freaking cool. I have mentioned before that I was at one of those "Dark California Stars" shows, and it was a high point of my Wilco concert-going experience. Sublime.

Very cool stuff to read, thanks for sharing.

I said it at the time and I still believe it: if I were at a Wilco show and they went into a Dark Star, I would have fallen out of my chair. No doubt. I'm going to Lockn', really hoping for some Wilco and Weir collaborations. Or Wilco and Phil. Then again, Wilco and Winwood would be awesomely sweet.

Heard Dark Star performed tonight in Boston's Symphony Hall. Warren Haynes and the Pops doing a night of Jerry music. Hearing 2 hours of GD music in Symphony Hall was fantastic.

This is so freaking cool. I have mentioned before that I was at one of those "Dark California Stars" shows, and it was a high point of my Wilco concert-going experience. Sublime.

Indeed. That would top almost anything I've seen them do (for me). The possibilities of that song in the hands of such a locked-in band like Wilco could REALLY go places.

I guess it's not as much of a stretch as it might seem. I think Nels and Glenn, in particular, are capable of almost anything, and you give two keyboard players who have been together nearly 10 years a green light to do whatever the hell they want... What Jeff does would be key. 

If nothing else, that tune could be used to 'blow out the cobwebs' during soundchecks or in the studio, and there's nothing bad that can come from a fresh breeze of inspiration, no?

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/121730/Nels-Cline-To-Guest-With-Phil-Lesh-and-Friends-At-Capitol-Theatre

Last year we suggested that Phil Lesh add Wilco guitarist Nels Cline as one of his band members for one of the many multi-night runs he had in store for 2014. Our wish has been granted, kinda, since Cline will sit in with Phil Lesh & Friends at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY on May 29 and 30.  

Phil's band for the run includes keyboardist John Medeski, drummer Joe Russo and guitarists John Scofield and John Kadlecik. Medeski has performed with Cline a number of times over the past year as part of MMW+C. Nels took over Wilco's lead guitar spot in 2004. Last summer Bob Weir sat in with Wilco at a handful of AmericanaramA festival stops.

Tickets are available for both shows via the venue's website. There's also a Nugs.TV webcast available.

Have you seen any of Phil's webcasts?

How do they sound/visually - technical-wise)?

Can't say I've seen any, but I suspect it will be more dependent on the particular venue. Given the extent of technical upgrades invested in the Cap, I suspect these will be quite good.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Just got my Macroscope LP in the mail yesterday.  It's so good.  It only has seven songs, though, so buyer beware.  I guess I should have known they'd have to cut some songs since none of the Singers releases to date could fit on a single record.

From the archives (mid December 2011)- The guitarist from TWEEDY, Jim Elkington, interviews the guitarist from Wilco, Nels Cline.
"Artist on Artist: Nels Cline of Wilco . The avant-garde guitarist tells Jim Elkington of the Horse’s Ha and Eleventh Dream Day, 'It was like being jolted with electricity. I never really recovered.’."

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/interview-with-nels-cline-of-wilco-and-jim-elkington-of-the-horses-ha/Content?oid=5187924

Interesting how & when their paths would cross again, via Jeff Tweedy.
Also interesting that Jim Elkington's job right before this TWEEDY tour was playing guitar on a tour with Jon Langford (of The Mekons) & Skull Orchard.

Also interesting that Jim Elkington's job right before this TWEEDY tour was playing guitar on a tour with Jon Langford (of The Mekons) & Skull Orchard.

Yea, I mentioned that in another thread and was also informed that I was wrong that he HAD played with EDD. He does a great job with Langford and people should catch the tour if you can and if they are still on the road. And again, I highly recommend the Horses Ha CD. And the new Langford. Elkington has been a staple in Chicago musical circles for many years and can be seen regularly playing with a variety of groups.

LouieB

California Dark Stars was a highlight of my life. Then St. Stephen. Unreal.

Love the details of Jeff, Bob, et. al, planning these covers out.

I did one of Phil's webcasts last week. I'll be honest the quality sucked. I don't have a "premium" internet speed, but I normally have no problem streaming HD off the web on to my TV or just on my computer (audio or video). At the set break I switched over to try a few other high data streams and they worked just fine, so something on Phil's end is amiss, IMO.

I did one of Phil's webcasts last week. I'll be honest the quality sucked. I don't have a "premium" internet speed, but I normally have no problem streaming HD off the web on to my TV or just on my computer (audio or video). At the set break I switched over to try a few other high data streams and they worked just fine, so something on Phil's end is amiss, IMO.

Thanks on the info.

Was that webcast via Nugs or some other streaming service? Nugs is doing the shows the next 2 nights, so hopefully the quality will be improved regardless. Shouldn't be too hard to stream a show.

Looks like Nels will be joining Phil and Friends at the Capitol Theater.

"At 74-years-old there's still no stopping Phil Lesh. Hot off a four-night stand of Phil Lesh & Friends shows at Terrapin Crossroads that just wrapped a few nights ago, Lesh brought a version of the project to Central Park's SummerStage last night for the first show of yet another four-night run. Phil and John Scofield, Warren Haynes, John Medeski and Joe Russo played the outdoor NYC venue on Wednesday night and will repeat the feat on Saturday. Tonight and tomorrow, Lesh brings the same lineup, with John Kadlecik subbing in for Haynes, and Wilco guitarist Nels Cline along as a special guest, to The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY. That's quite a busy four nights for even a young musician, let alone a legend in his golden years."

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/121785/Cover-Alert-Phil-and-Friends-Cover-Sweet-Jane-In-The-Park 

Nels isn't in the lineup to start the show. I'll be seriously disappointed if he only plays a few songs with them and we paid for two nights of webcasts.

My feeling exactly!