Sometimes Life Stops Sucking!

So our dark green Honda Accord was parked in the driveway last night, fully alarmed as usual. This morning the driveway was empty when my husband went out to get the newspaper & feed the cats.

What a sickening feeling to have it just be....gone.

Any & all vibes, prayers, or what-have-you much appreciated. This day is not off to a great start.  :ohwell

I've been there.*  I know that sinking feeling.  Things will work out, but in the meantime, positive vibes to you.

*Some guys stole a bike and put it into my car (82 Buick Regal...those things were begging to be stolen in the '90s) and took off.  The owner of the bike saw them do it and got my tag number.   He reported his bike stolen before I knew my car was gone, so the cops were looking for me before I even knew anything had happened.  It was difficult to make the cops understand what the situation was.  They ended up finding the car a week or two later, gutted to the bare metal, with a few cassette cases and other useless remnants of my personal belonings strewn about.  They dumped the useless shell at an impound lot, which I had to pay daily storage for until a scrapper finally decided to claim it.

Oh, that must just be an awful feeling.  Hope you get it back.  Sending good vibes your way.

I have horrible car karma in general, but the worst incident happened to my dark green Honda Civic.  It was parked on the street and I got a call one Sunday morning from the police asking me to come down and "talk to the officer standing next to your vehicle".  When I got out there, there were police cars and fire trucks all around, and I quickly realized that the fire engine next to my car was actually smashed into the side of my honda.  Turns out the engine slipped on a patch of ice and slid into 3 parked cars, and mine got the worst of it.  Fire truck vs. civic is not pretty.  The officer said, "The city will pay" to which I responded, "Yes, they will."  They did, and I upgraded my car and all was well in the end.

This kind of thing is exactly why you pay all that money for insurance.  Best of luck!

I hates me some thieves.

How's this for the suckitude of life:

Last week our VP of operations called to tell me that the company would not be needing my services anymore, after 13 years of service. But at least he wished me a happy birthday at the beginning of the call.  :angry 

Oh, crap, Hixter! Did they lower the boom on your actual birthday? :blink Either way, that is even suckier than having a car stolen!

I think perhaps better things are in store for us both. Maybe a newer car is coming our way, and a fresh job for you where you are more appreciated. Can I get an Amen? Or several?

Thanks everyone for the support and vibeage. Some of your stories have chilled me as well as made me laugh out loud - and made me realize it could be worse! Baby steps, baby steps. This too shall pass.  :twitchsmile

Oh, crap, Hixter! Did they lower the boom on your actual birthday?

Yep. Monday we learned that our customer was canceling the contract immediately due to budget reasons (our performance was described as 'excellent.')

Tuesday I flew to Denver to see the Nels Cline Singers and when I got back Thursday they called to tell me that they wouldn't offer to transfer me to another office. That shocked me, since our (former) CEO had promised that I would always have a job if the contract died. But apparently the new CEO, CFO and VP (seven years with the company between them) don't value 13 years of loyal service and decided that they'd cut me and my co-worker in order to save a few dollars. So I have 3 months to sell my house and find a new job or I'll be 51, unemployed and uninsured. 

And the company wonders why employee morale has taken a nosedive over the last few years.  :headbonk

So our dark green Honda Accord was parked in the driveway last night, fully alarmed as usual. This morning the driveway was empty when my husband went out to get the newspaper & feed the cats.

What a sickening feeling to have it just be....gone.

Any & all vibes, prayers, or what-have-you much appreciated. This day is not off to a great start. :ohwell

That sucks. Best wishes & good luck with the insurance company.

I hates me some thieves.

How's this for the suckitude of life:

Last week our VP of operations called to tell me that the company would not be needing my services anymore, after 13 years of service. But at least he wished me a happy birthday at the beginning of the call. :angry

Very sorry to hear that, man. I hope everything works out for you.

Yep. Monday we learned that our customer was canceling the contract immediately due to budget reasons (our performance was described as 'excellent.')

Tuesday I flew to Denver to see the Nels Cline Singers and when I got back Thursday they called to tell me that they wouldn't offer to transfer me to another office. That shocked me, since our (former) CEO had promised that I would always have a job if the contract died. But apparently the new CEO, CFO and VP (seven years with the company between them) don't value 13 years of loyal service and decided that they'd cut me and my co-worker in order to save a few dollars. So I have 3 months to sell my house and find a new job or I'll be 51, unemployed and uninsured. 

And the company wonders why employee morale has taken a nosedive over the last few years.  :headbonk

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's happened to me--more than once, unfortunately--and it can really do a number on your sense of self worth;. I think back fondly on the 18 years I spent with one company, which I really didn't appreciate as much as I should have. I left that job voluntarily, for what seemed like a great opportunity, but in retrospect it was the biggest career mistake I've ever made. There's a lot to be said for boring stability and decent benefits. Just a cautionary note as you look for your next job. (I'm great at dispensing the good advice--not so good at following it myself.) But seriously, I feel for you.

Update: no news on our car, but we've learned that our neighbor's car was also broken into last night, and ransacked for anything valuable. At least he got to keep his car. Ours was a year newer with a fresh paint job, so maybe that's why they took ours.  :hmm  :brow

Our insurance company (Liberty Mutual) has always treated us very well, so at least there's that.

Diane, good advice. Hixter, may the force be with you as you job-search! And remember, 51 is the new 31. You are just a babe yet. :yes

Hixter, it is every man for himself out there. I really feel for you. There's no loyalty to be had from companies these days.  Have seen it happen to so many people though, that I observe that most everyone lands on their feet, sometimes in a better position than the one they left.  Much luck with your job search.

That would be funnier if I didn't think it was pretty damned accurate. My husband noticed a scrap-metal type truck the day before yesterday (day of the theft) that drove very slooowly down our street, then u-turned just past our house, and drove back down. He thought it seemed like a suspicious thing at the time, and remembered it after the car went missing that night. Tried to mention it in his report to the police, and they totally brushed it off as "not relevant". Sigh.

No news. 

Sorry about your coffee maker, Carrie! Where does this madness end???!

Best of luck and good outcomes to both of you, Donna and Hixter!

Also tragic, my coffee maker broke this morning. Red light turns on but no action at all. Talk about a PANIC!! :)

Buy an Aeropress!! Best $25 I've spent in a while.

Buy an Aeropress!! Best $25 I've spent in a while.

Oh, if only I'd read this before I ran to Target and bought a cheapie $17 drip coffee maker.  But I do need to replace my French press (use it primarily for camping) and I'll definitely be giving the Aeropress a try!  Thanks for the tip!

That sucks. Vibes, for sure. I had my apartment robbed. Such a terrible feeling of violation. I still shudder. I also woke up one morning to have my car gone (my apartment complex did not see my parking sticker and had it towed). A terribly surreal feeling to see your car just gone.

( the Lebowski clip is too good - leads?)

Geez, Louie! I hope that 5th theft proves to be your last! And all of you out there in internetland, try saying "fifth theft" 3 times fast. Right out loud, go ahead....now, is your spouse asking how much you've had to drink today? :stunned

We picked up a rental car today, a sweet little Jetta. So nice to have transportation again! Still nada on our car.