Those one hit wonder bands/artist you enjoy

i know 99.99% of VCers don't know this band, but they have some good songs ("Expecting To Fly," "Ghost Of Some Cold Street"). Chris also did some nice vocals for This Kind Of Punishment, and released a rather startling good solo record a few years back:

http://www.discogs.com/Chris-Matthews-Robot-Monkey-Orchestra-The-Map-Of-Love/release/1528678

i've got that album... 2nd hand shop, up in sydney. i'm surprised i found it!. $3 well-spent!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thunderclap Newman -- "Something in the Air" (Pete Townshend plays bass and produced it).  Saw Wilco cover it at the Vic several years ago. 

Are people in this thread saying that they like other music by the artist in question, or just that they like the "hit?" If the former, some recommendations would make the whole thread even better.

I'll start. Although he's not really a one-hit wonder, I listed Bruce Cockburn because he only had one hit crack the Top 40 here in the U.S.A. ("Wondering Where the Lions Are"), and "Rocket Launcher" barely cracked the Top 50. But he is a legend, and very popular in Europe, not to mention his native Canada, where he has won multiple Juno awards (similar to a Grammy here). I highly recommend everything he's done up through about 2002 or 2003, especially his classic period from about 1974-1984. Good starter albums are Stealing Fire, Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws, Humans and In the Falling Dark.

Missing Persons originally featured nothing but Zappa alumni, and they were great live. If you like that early 80s new wave sound, these guys could really play. The first EP and the Spring Session M are really all I would recommend, although the 2nd full-length disc is not bad either.

If you like Jay Ferguson, I suggest seeking out a bootleg show of his from My Father's Place or some such place in the 1970s. It's out there on the interwebs somewhere. He covers "Medicated Goo" and "I Got A Line on You," and does versions of his own songs and some Jo Jo Gunne material. Good stuff!

Are people in this thread saying that they like other music by the artist in question, or just that they like the "hit?" If the former, some recommendations would make the whole thread even better.

I intended it to mean you like those artist other albums and songs also

- Ass Ponys ("Little Bastard" #26 Billboard Modern Rock)

- The Del Fuegos ("Don't Run Wild")

- Sir Douglas Quintet ("She's About A Mover")

- Edgar Winter ("Free Ride")

- Elvin Bishop ("Fooled Around and Fell In Love")

- Fastball ("The Way")

- Ronnie Lane ("How Come" and "The Poacher", UK hits)

- Gang of Four ("I Love A Man In a Uniform")

As it almost always the case, the "hits" don't crack my lists of favorite songs by these bands! And I realize some of these aren't technically "Hits", or are lower chart entries, but I like the thread and am always on the lookout for a band I missed or should give another try.

The greatest of all one hit wonders - The Left Banke

LouieB

I'm pretty sure Pretty Ballerina was a top 20 hit too, but yeah, Walk Away Renee is the one everyone remembers.

The greatest of all one hit wonders - The Left Banke

LouieB

I'm pretty sure Pretty Ballerina was a top 20 hit too, but yeah, Walk Away Renee is the one everyone remembers.

Hellz. to the YES!

"One hit wonders" is a term that irritates the hell out of me.

It diminishes bands to an extent that the never recover.

After all, when all is said and done, does radio airplay really validate an artist or band? If you want to get technical, Led Zeppelin was a one hit wonder until their last studio record, as were the Grateful Dead.

Anyone ever hear Jimmy LaFave's version of Walk Away Renee? Totally different vibe.

It's one of the rare covers that exceeds the original.

I'd count it..what other hits have they had? Somebody to Shove? Black Gold? Misery? Did those chart well?

black gold and misery both made the top 20 in australia in the mid 90s. but runaway train was the biggest hit here. i actually prefer black gold!

• 2 weeks later...