Glorious Very Specific Song Moments

GOLDEN SLUMBERS (Beatles): Around 0:42 - 0:46, the way McCartney belts out “smiles” and “awakes”.

NEW YEAR’S Day (U2): Around 4:10 - 4:15, Bono’s howl with the Edge’s alternating electric guitar chords.

FLOWERS OF GUATEMALA (R.E.M.): Around 2:10, the high-pitched guitar squeal that kicks off Peter Buck’s guitar solo

"Middle of the Road" by The Pretenders: Chrissie's "Brrrrr NEYOW!!!!" that leads into the harmonica solo at 3:18 into the song.

"Moanin'" by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers: those first couple of bent notes that kick off Lee Morgan's trumpet solo at 0:59

"For No One" by The Beatles: where the horn comes in from out of nowhere at 0:49, and again at 1:29.

"Rocks Off" by The Rolling Stones: that single snare hit right during the intro of the song -- at 0:02!

Malford Milligan's background vox which seem to come out of nowhere at  :52 and raise the song to an entirely different level. (That and the lead guitar coming in at :17).  A rocker in the middle of a record of sad reflection.

AE is my favorite in the pantheon of American originals of the third generation along with Bruce Springsteen.

The snare fills from 2:03 to 2:25.

Nothing special about it...but everything's special about it.

It might be passe, but I remember how shocking  it was the first time I heard the distorted guitar explosion at :58. The song went for a THE AIR THAT I BREATHE ripoff to being something ENTIRELY different.

The first chorus at 1:13 where the song goes from being a small town lament to a full blown epic.

Jimi Hendrix doing Driving South on Radio One - BBC Sessions. I've always considered it Jimi's best playing.

There's a moment of pure magic at about the 33 second mark where he bends a note at the beginning of a lick, then feedback screams back to the first note and he comes right back in playing. It floors me every time.

http://youtu.be/MUMLlQByiRM

Like the Captain Jack moment as well. And the Beatles' For No One is a good one.

I aways loved Tweedy's guitar solo on the studio At Least That's What You Said. So liquid sounding and spine-tingling. I've never heard it done better live. 

Also like Michael Stipe's sloppy guitar playing at the end of Why Not Smile. Or around the 2:45 - 2:55 moment of Benny And The Jets, where the piano jam ends and a very high-pitched Elton sings "oh Candy and Ronnie have you seen them yet…".

The Unfaithful Servant - The Band. Probably my favourite Band song.

2:08 - "Goodbye to that country home, so long to the lady I have known.

Farewell to my other side, I guess I'll just take it in stride."

3:39 - Robbie takes an audible breath during his guitar solo.

3:49 - The horns come in to take us home.

The Dead - Playin' In The Band from 12/2/73. When the song drifts into Space, what Phil Lesh does on the bass must be heard to be believed. It's one of the most brain-frying moments ever from a band who had a career full of them. 

Jimi Hendrix doing Driving South on Radio One - BBC Sessions. I've always considered it Jimi's best playing.

There's a moment of pure magic at about the 33 second mark where he bends a note at the beginning of a lick, then feedback screams back to the first note and he comes right back in playing. It floors me every time.

http://youtu.be/MUMLlQByiRM

great one.

there are at least four in Mogwai's "Xmas Steps"....

when the drums kick in at 4:18

when the overdriven guitar kicks in at 4:52

the emotional high point of the song shortly after

and the slowing ebb of dying embers that starts at 

it's really just a powerfully perfect song. and i'm pissed that they haven't played it the nine times I've seen them since 2003.