Sukierae review thread.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I splurged on the vinyl and am really glad I did. As others here have said, the pacing and order of the songs works perfectly. With four discrete sides to choose from, I can really hone in on what fits my mood. And since the material is at times heavy and melancholy, five songs is sometimes enough. Although I did listen frequently to the songs from the summer's live recordings and as they trickled out over the last few months, it's in the context of the other songs that makes each one shine.

I splurged on the vinyl and am really glad I did. As others here have said, the pacing and order of the songs works perfectly. With four discrete sides to choose from, I can really hone in on what fits my mood. And since the material is at times heavy and melancholy, five songs is sometimes enough. Although I did listen frequently to the songs from the summer's live recordings and as they trickled out over the last few months, it's in the context of the other songs that makes each one shine.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing even though I've already bought the CD. But I've just bought a new stylus for my turntable so...

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/reviews/music/40762/Tweedy--Sukierae

8/10

Also, the album is no. 174 in the Amazon UK chart, and no. 1 in their folk rock category.

Out of interest, looked at the Amazon.com site:-

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #49 in Music

#1 in Music > Alternative Rock > Indie & Lo-Fi > Indie Rock

#1 in Music > Indie Music > Rock > General

#21 in Music > Rock

So after giving this album a pretty good listen there seem to be three MOs for the songs.  

1. Solo Jeff guitar songs

2. Semi homages to ELO and other groups.

3. Full on Califone.

Summer Noon sure is a catchy song, a real ear worm.

LouieB

I'm willing to entertain negative criticism of art that I like.  The problem with that guy's criticism is that it's not very good.  At first I wondered if he was going to mention any songs, and then I realized there was a link to the actual review in that post (blog, whatever that was?).  He mentioned about 3 of 20 songs in the review, and spent most of it projecting what he thinks Tweedy thinks and why Tweedy is wrong.  He also spent time on what he thinks Tweedy's fans think, and why they're wrong.

Oh internet.

I'm willing to entertain negative criticism of art that I like.  The problem with that guy's criticism is that it's not very good.  At first I wondered if he was going to mention any songs, and then I realized there was a link to the actual review in that post (blog, whatever that was?).  He mentioned about 3 of 20 songs in the review, and spent most of it projecting what he thinks Tweedy thinks and why Tweedy is wrong.  He also spent time on what he thinks Tweedy's fans think, and why they're wrong.

Oh internet.

Ugh. Was that even a review? Apparently, he said this would be a bad album and then wrote a review saying it was a bad album. See! He called it! How does someone like this even get a voice? There is certainly room for criticism, but that's not what this is.

That's why I posted it. The douchebaggery of predicting it would be lame, and then doing a victory lap because he now has "confirmation" of his own opinion, etc. etc.

Personally, I find the album has really exceeded any expectations I might have had for a Jeff solo project. Even the tracks that some people consider lesser are better than Millionaire or Woodgrain. :D

Haha, tell us how you really feel! Guess Tweedy won't be booking that In Zed tour anytime soon, then?

Simon Sweetman is known as a deliberately provocative contrarian in NZ and this is typical of his style of review.  He seems to enjoy antagonizing fans and artists alike with his glib and dismissive reviews which usually include multiple references to himself (its all about him you see).  Most folks in NZ have learned to ignore him - although I still do occasionally read his blog  - but mainly for the entertaining readers responses below.

That's why I posted it. The douchebaggery of predicting it would be lame, and then doing a victory lap because he now has "confirmation" of his own opinion, etc. etc.

Personally, I find the album has really exceeded any expectations I might have had for a Jeff solo project. Even the tracks that some people consider lesser are better than Millionaire or Woodgrain. :D

Yeah if that's his picture at the top of the page, he looks like a craigslist rapist or something...  

Meanwhile, a voice of reason from Blighty

http://www.forfolkssake.com/reviews/30450/album-tweedy-sukierae

I appreciate the thoughts, and emotions of the review.  The prose gets a little clunky here:

Either way, it’s one of America’s finest modern songwriters. He’s still at, with plenty still to say, and it’s a lengthy set that thoroughly deserves to be heard.

• 4 weeks later...