Wilco Greatest Bootlegs

New to the forum, I've been a more casual Wilco fan for about 10 years and really just recently got bit by the bug and can't get enough of their entire discography. I've bought a number of their Roadcase shows as well that pretty much covers the Whole Love era, but I'm really curious to hear a bit from every era of this band. I discovered owlandbear.com, but it's pretty overwhelming to know where to start there.

As such, I was wondering if there had been developed any consensus list of the best shows/bootlegs from Wilco's history? Kind of landmark shows from each album era that really stand out as the band's best?  I'm planning on getting the Chicago residencies in 2008 and 2011, but what about earlier dates? What are those "must-have" shows? Ideally, I'd like to identify a handful of shows from each album era/year they have toured. I saw that thread documenting 20 years of Chicago shows and was going to start there, figuring hometown shows were likely among their best each years, but thought I'd start this thread first to see what else stands out as notable.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but one site you might want to look at is sooutoftune.org, which has available for streaming most of the shows that are also available to download on Owl and Bear as well as other download sites. So if you want to sample some shows before deciding whether they are worth downloading, check there. And welcome to the community!

Here's a quick rundown of my personal favorites. These are shows from previous iterations of the band (read: not the current lineup). My top three are in bold. I spent several years during a hardcore Wilco binge working my way through a lot of the stuff on Owl & Bear to find the best sounding recordings. Many, if not most of these, are available to stream at the website Wilco Me mentioned.

5-25-95

10-25-95

5-10-97

9-4-97

10-30-97

9-4-98

10-4-99

7-30-00

7-31-00

7-4-01

10-5-01

3-16-02

10-29-02

6-28-03

9-4-03

If you wish to dig deeper, there are many, many threads on this same topic. Links to several are below. Pretty sure I cited a lot of the aforementioned shows in a few of these threads, too. 

Best sounding recent show? (April 2010)
Best bootleg/live concert (December 2009)
Best Wilco Shows of all time? (March 2008)
Top Downloadable Show (June 2009)
Favorites? (June 2009)
Favorite live shows (August 2009) 

I'll chime in -

personal favorites - from days of old

4/29/95 St Louis

11/12/96 The Troubadour

1/31/97 Mississippi Nights

11/7/97 Liberty Lunch, Austin TX

4/21/99 Irving Plaza

5/29/99 Angels Camp (Ripple w/Phil Lesh)

11/5/99 Bogart's

9/19/00 Irving Plaza

11/28/01 Seattle

10/30/02 Memphis

1/12/03 San Fransisco (goth Heavy Metal Drummer)

9/4/03 Eugene OR (great CA Stars sing along.....not!)

11/13/04 San Jose

6/11/05 Berkeley Greek

to mention a few.

seek and enjoy!

Here's a quick rundown of my personal favorites. These are shows from previous iterations of the band (read: not the current lineup). My top three are in bold. I spent several years during a hardcore Wilco binge working my way through a lot of the stuff on Owl & Bear to find the best sounding recordings. Many, if not most of these, are available to stream at the website Wilco Me mentioned.

5-25-95

10-25-95

5-10-97

9-4-97

10-30-97

9-4-98

10-4-99

7-30-00

7-31-00

7-4-01

10-5-01

3-16-02

10-29-02

6-28-03

9-4-03

If you wish to dig deeper, there are many, many threads on this same topic. Links to several are below. Pretty sure I cited a lot of the aforementioned shows in a few of these threads, too. 

Best sounding recent show? (April 2010)

Best bootleg/live concert (December 2009)

Best Wilco Shows of all time? (March 2008)

Top Downloadable Show (June 2009)

Favorites? (June 2009)

Favorite live shows (August 2009) 

I'll second the three in bold above (the entire list, really). I'd also add:

11/12/96

3/16/02

3/19/02

Some good lists here, and I see a lot of dates I would include if I were motivated enough to compile a list. I would add 8/31/99, not only because it was my first Wilco show but also because there's a nice soundboard of it floating around out there. Also, 11/2/02, another nice board. Short show, but has an excellent How to Fight Loneliness > Laminated Cat as its centerpiece. Jeff's guitar work at its wildest, and of course, well recorded. Both of these shows also feature Misunderstood when the # of nothings hadn't gotten up to the thirties or forties. :lol

I was just going to say, you'd think from looking at these lists that the band hasn't done anything worthwhile in the last 10 years. I actually love lots of recent Wilco, but there is a natural nostalgia for earlier versions of the band as well. Assuming the Roadcase recordings for the recent Chicago residency turn out well, those shows should be fantastic. I was at all of them and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite night. There was such a great energy to those shows.

Well, the reason I addressed mainly older shows is because the original poster said he/she had already downloaded some Roadcase shows (officially released live Wilco recordings), and asked for "bootlegs," typically unreleased/unofficial recordings, from previous eras of the band. 

New to the forum, I've been a more casual Wilco fan for about 10 years and really just recently got bit by the bug and can't get enough of their entire discography. I've bought a number of their Roadcase shows as well that pretty much covers the Whole Love era, but I'm really curious to hear a bit from every era of this band. I discovered owlandbear.com, but it's pretty overwhelming to know where to start there.

As such, I was wondering if there had been developed any consensus list of the best shows/bootlegs from Wilco's history? Kind of landmark shows from each album era that really stand out as the band's best?  I'm planning on getting the Chicago residencies in 2008 and 2011, but what about earlier dates? What are those "must-have" shows? Ideally, I'd like to identify a handful of shows from each album era/year they have toured. I saw that thread documenting 20 years of Chicago shows and was going to start there, figuring hometown shows were likely among their best each years, but thought I'd start this thread first to see what else stands out as notable.

Well, the reason I addressed mainly older shows is because the original poster said he/she had already downloaded some Roadcase shows (officially released live Wilco recordings), and asked for "bootlegs," typically unreleased/unofficial recordings, from previous eras of the band.

Right you are. I didn't read too carefully, did I?

I really miss the days of free trade in collecting bootlegs. For those of you I used to trade with - I'd like to re-fresh a warm thank you. Thank you.

I'd also like to add 10/30/97.

and a side note: the show from Seattle 11/28/01 I believe has 68 wailing "nothings".

I also miss the JP set (encores/closing songs) ending the shows.

Couple of Roadcases?

The Winterlude Roadcases are up!

Were you able to download? I went over to Kung Fu and, while it looks like the shows are ready for download, all I get when I click on the DL arrow is a screen showing the name of the show. Has anyone else been able to actually download the shows?

Any of the Evening With.... shows, from March 22 to April 11, 2010, are worth a listen for pre-Whole Love shows. If my memory serves me right, anything from Scranton (March 31st) to the end of the run in Pittsburg on April 11 are excellent. I love 1997 as well, many dates cited already up above.

Were you able to download? I went over to Kung Fu and, while it looks like the shows are ready for download, all I get when I click on the DL arrow is a screen showing the name of the show. Has anyone else been able to actually download the shows?

Yes, night 6 worked fine for me.

Yeah, it worked for me. Sounds great, too.

Downloading the Winterlude shows now... all six working fine...long way to go with the downloading process itself...but nice way to end the year & get this surprise at the end of Yule!!