• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pack your bags I guess.  I can't see how she can lose.

Edit - On the way to work today I was wondering just when the Illinois primary is so I can finally cast my vote for Bernie Sanders and he can then get out of Hillary's way to becoming president.  It's wonderful that everyone has gotten so excited about the guy, but at this point his poll numbers are beginning to fade.  Bernie peaked a bit early I think,

LouieB

Scared of Muslims?  I guess we have some right to be, but just as I expressed my lack of fear of going into the inner city and not feeling I need a firearm, I feel the same way about being scared of Muslims too.  I live in proximity to not just Muslims from the middle east (multiple countries), but from at least three or four different parts of the world and I don't freak out and run for the hills.  Heck a Nigerian named Mohammed picked me up from Uber yesterday and he didn't look ready to behead me at all.  My neighborhood has Muslims from the middle east, Pakistan and Bosnia as well as other places and I am not the least bit freaked out. 

Just as the US constitution sanctioned slavery*, disenfranchisement of women, and any number of other issues, someday the second amendment will also become a thing of the past.  I have no problem with guns to kill bunnies and deer, if that's your thing, but sanctioning firearms to kill people; someday after we are long gone from this planet our ancestors I hope look back and think "that the fuck was that about?" There isn't anything logical about my feelings about any of this, because logic doesn't apply to hating people unconditionally and believing you have a right to possess something that can take out dozens of people. 

Oh and as for being pissed off at religious zealots - that's easy and includes about everyone who is.

LouieB

*we never talk about the second amendment tie in with slavery but some people do believe there is one.

*we never talk about the second amendment tie in with slavery but some people do believe there is one.

Some of the earliest (and not so early) gun control laws were designed to keep firearms out of the hands of black Americans.

Some of the earliest (and not so early) gun control laws were designed to keep firearms out of the hands of black Americans.

Jesus you guys.  You can't just say shit like that with nothing to back it up.  

Scared of Muslims?  I guess we have some right to be, but just as I expressed my lack of fear of going into the inner city and not feeling I need a firearm, I feel the same way about being scared of Muslims too.  I live in proximity to not just Muslims from the middle east (multiple countries), but from at least three or four different parts of the world and I don't freak out and run for the hills.  Heck a Nigerian named Mohammed picked me up from Uber yesterday and he didn't look ready to behead me at all.  My neighborhood has Muslims from the middle east, Pakistan and Bosnia as well as other places and I am not the least bit freaked out. 

I think it's important for isolated Americans to get more exposure to the varieties of people that could be part of one group.

My all-time favorite liquor store guy has a store by where my band practices in East Denver.  He's a Muslim North African and easily the nicest person I interact with on a given week.  I also had a Muslim student in my class for two years, her family came here from Bosnia.  It's trivial, but perhaps necessary to note, that her mom was a 6'3" tall woman with fair skin, hazel eyes and could probably be a model.  The point is, Muslims come in many different shapes, sizes, and characters just like Christians. 

A Mark Twain quote has been coming up in my facebook feed that is also relevant:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

My friend posted it along with his memories of impressive hospitality from Muslim families he met as he traveled Morocco on a shoe-string budget with his sons.

Jesus you guys.  You can't just say shit like that with nothing to back it up.  

It's pretty simple to Google something like gun+control+blacks and you'll find almost 300 years of history, but for starters you can look at the Mulford Act of 1967. Armed Black Panthers were patrolling the streets of California in full compliance with existing open carry laws and there was nothing the cops could charge them with, so Governor Reagan changed the law to prohibit carrying firearms.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

It doesn't seem to be working for some Muslims who emigrate to Europe, the United States and elsewhere. ;)

It doesn't seem to be working for some Muslims who emigrate to Europe, the United States and elsewhere. ;)

WTF man?   How is that a Muslim issue?  It doesn't seem to be working with some insecure red necks in the south, or some judgemental WASPS in Long Island.  It hasn't really worked for some militant Israelis, or a tiny minority of face-smackingly stupid German white supremacists.  We've got Hutus killing Tutsis, Tamal Tigers, or the South Thailand insurgency.

What do most examples of terrorism have in common, just like the nut job who shot up Planned Parenthood an hour away from my neighborhood?  Disenfranchised, poor people, who've been fluffed up with bad information, in a group where the dude with the loosest grip on sanity will load up first.

You sound like you need to travel.  *end rant* 

On second thought, I've got to post script this.  All of the crappyness that I listed to go with your "some Muslims" comment is the nature of whackos raised in environments that allow them to become extreme and dangerous.  The sentiment you're sharing about "some dangerous Muslims emigrating to our western countries" is the one that is being used to propose legislation.  We have to hold our law makers and figureheads to higher standards then some racist extremists who want to kill people.

WTF man?   How is that a Muslim issue?

It's not exclusively a Muslim issue, but it cannot be denied that many/most of the perpetrators of terror attacks in the west have traveled a bit. Traveling to a far away country is always an educational experience, but to some people the exposure to a foreign culture is not a positive experience. Sometimes it fosters or increases a sense of hatred for the foreigners and their culture.

You sound like you need to travel.

I've done my share.

I know that if I get shot down by a whacko, there's a better chance he'll be a white guy.... possibly an NRA member.

Highly unlikely. There are about 5 million NRA members, so only 1 in 60 Americans are members. Nobody keeps murder stats for NRA members, but Texas does keep stats of a similar demographic: Concealed Handgun License holders. Every year about 3 of them out of a million are convicted of murder (not necessarily with a firearm). That's less than 1/13 of the murder rate for the nation as a whole. 

Still. Probably some white Christian dude.

I saw someone on Facebook who posted a link to this ACLU guy's suggestion that Trump voters should be shot before the election. Just the usual political crap that abounds on Facebook, right?

WoEWfO1.png

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/10/colorado-aclu-board-member-shoot-trump-voters-before-election-day/

I went to check out the guy's FB page to see if he'd actually written that post (skeptic 'til I die) but what really surprised me was this post. Small world!

fezOajT.jpg

The New York Times linked to a fake news site in their latest anti-gun editorial:

States and cities have passed laws restricting or banning certain types of weaponsmagazines and ammunition, and prohibiting certain classes of people, like those convicted of stalking or multiple instances of drunken driving, from possessing guns. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/opinion/an-opening-for-states-to-restrict-guns.html?

The "ammunition" link points here: http://nationalreport.net/california-implements-statewide-ban-45-acp-ammunition/