The real issue is do you or do you not believe radical Islam is a real, growing threat. I do and I suspect some of you do not and that may account for some rather pointed disagreements in this forum.

I don't think you will find anyone on this forum (or any reasonable person in this country) that doesn't believe that RADICAL Islam is a real growing threat.  

I do not equate this with the early days of Vietnam where our policies doomed the war. North Vietnam was never a threat to America or its neighbors. ISIS is different. 

Anyone who equates the Middle East to Vietnam is over simplifying the issue and really doesn't know the issues at hand. 

ISIS is different. I believe it needs to be destroyed.

Also I think you will find this same sentiment from every person in this forum and in this country.  It is just how we go about doing it.  

If we go down the road of attacking families of ISIS and incurring civilian casualties we will do nothing more than embolden another generation that wants to destroy us.  We need to have surgical strikes against the leaders of ISIS and other terrorists, be it special forces or targeted bombing.  But most importantly we need to work with the legitimate leaders of the Islamic Faith to end and stop the radical elements within that faith.  Stop the radicalization at the beginning.  It won't be easy, it won't be quick, but it is the only way it will work.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go down the road of attacking families of ISIS and incurring civilian casualties we will do nothing more than embolden another generation that wants to destroy us.  We need to have surgical strikes against the leaders of ISIS and other terrorists, be it special forces or targeted bombing.  But most importantly we need to work with the legitimate leaders of the Islamic Faith to end and stop the radical elements within that faith.  Stop the radicalization at the beginning.  It won't be easy, it won't be quick, but it is the only way it will work.  

Is there a difference between:

US kills ISIS combatant, little Abdul watches as his father dies.

and

US kills innocent Syrian civilian, little Abdul watches as his father dies.

The US made a life-long enemy of little Abdul either way, no?

Seems like we should either: stop killing altogether, thereby not creating any new enemies bent on revenge, OR kill everyone, thereby eliminating all potential new threats. 

and

Seems like we should either: stop killing altogether, thereby not creating any new enemies bent on revenge, OR kill everyone, thereby eliminating all potential new threats. 

i would think there are a lot less ISIS combatants than innocent civilians.

it's been interesting to watch the evolution of Taliban > Al Qaeda > ISIS, though.

Yeah, there is the ticket, absolutes always work.  You aren't running for the GOP nomination are you?

and

Your thesis is correct, we are potentially radicalizing people with any action we do.  However the rhetoric by the GOP candidates would drastically increase the number of little Abdul's out there.  Civilian casualties will happen, I am not blind to that.  It will be up to the next Administration to really determine how many civilian casualties will occur and at what cost.  

It may not always be authentic, but there's an interest in discussing substantive policy making. Unfortunately after flirting with becoming a little more moderate and trying to attract the non-white vote the establishment GOP started getting its ass kicked by a buffoon. Now they're all selling fear and bigotry.

The Democrats are certainly disingenuous at times, but at least they aspire to appear balanced, intelligent and pragmatic.

I'm going to vote for Sanders in the primary, but it disturbed me how he talked about the US toppling dictators such as Mosaddegh, Allende, Hussein, and Gadaffi.  Mosaddegh and Allende were democratically elected - they weren't dictators. 

And then Clinton and Sanders saying that we've got to take out the dictator Assad who kills his own people -- as if it isn't at all unseemly for politicians in the USA to be calling for the forced removal and assassination of another country's leader.

pretty sure it means 'bomb the living shit out of them.'

until the next Tal-Qae-Sis forms.

Yep.

Anyone spend their Saturday evening watching the democratic debate?

Edit: oops Hahahaha never mind

I'm a wild man.  I was drinking whiskey, watching the debate, and doing a crossword puzzle at the same time.

I watched an hour of it. Sanders needs to get better if he wants a chance against Clinton ---- I don't think he has it in him. Obama was able to go after Clinton --- in a somewhat nice way -- and make it stick. Sanders is almost too nice. There is a big difference between the two (Sanders and Clinton)- but as of now, each has their kid gloves on. Clinton of course will pounce at a moments notice - I am not sure if Sanders has it in him ---- like Obama did.

Of course I think they are both waiting for the Republican's to thin the herd ---- then they will go after each other. Sanders needs to start gaining before the Republicans start thinning. 

Clinton's communications director was on the George Stephanopoulos show yesterday and made a complete fool of herself.  She couldn't string together a single sentence.  I thought Clinton gave a really strong debate performance, but watching the way the communication director stammered through the interview, one would think Clinton was about to exit the race in disgrace.

If Trump was so disgusted by Clinton's bathroom break during the Dem debate, I wonder what actually goes on when he visits the the little Trump's room. Maybe he is not the picture of health that his doctor says he is.

If Trump was so disgusted by Clinton's bathroom break during the Dem debate, I wonder what actually goes on when he visits the the little Trump's room. Maybe he is not the picture of health that his doctor says he is.

Does Hillary have stage fright? Apparently the ladies' room had multiple stalls, but she waited until no one was in there.