Love of Music Declining With Age?

I appreciate the responses. It's an ongoing thing. I have to admit that the digital revolution has made it a bit easier to listen and less clutter in the house as other responsibilities take over (kids!). A specific example of all of this is that I've tried for years to get into springsteen and dylan. With the advent of iTunes I've been able to just cherry pick. That's a bitter sweet thing though. Am I missing out on really giving an 'album' a chance. Maybe, but in the CD age I'd have never bought either a Dylan or a Springsteen CD. I would've saved my money for the next Grateful Dead live release or filling out my Neil Young collection. So, maybe I should just stick to buying the 'old' stuff I've always loved and use the streaming services for ancillary interests.

All in all, getting older along with the digital revolution in music has been fascinating. i will say there's a lot of shit to wade through in finding something new worth listening to. Good or bad…?

Don't forget your local public library...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote such a long personal response, I forgot to include one point regarding the issue of buying Dylan or Springsteen CDs. I can't recommend Dylan's Blood on the Tracks strongly enough. Not only is it a top ten Dylan album (probably top 3 for me), it's also probably his most cohesive statement as an artist: thematically and musically, it hangs together more as a work of art than any other of his classic records, in my opinion. There are plenty of classic Dylan albums, and they have plenty of incredible songs, but there's nothing like Blood on the Tracks.

I wrote such a long personal response, I forgot to include one point regarding the issue of buying Dylan or Springsteen CDs. I can't recommend Dylan's Blood on the Tracks strongly enough. Not only is it a top ten Dylan album (probably top 3 for me), it's also probably his most cohesive statement as an artist: thematically and musically, it hangs together more as a work of art than any other of his classic records, in my opinion. There are plenty of classic Dylan albums, and they have plenty of incredible songs, but there's nothing like Blood on the Tracks.

That's why I consider it his best album - though I also have to say there isn't one Dylan album that is better than the others. There's like five (at least) that are all tied for me.

BOTT is also awesome because the "alternate" versions of the songs that Dylan didn't pick for the final version are still stellar. Some of those songs he never really finished, like Simple Twist of Fate.

The outtakes from BOTT should be due for the Bootleg series.  Some of the alternate versions are stunning.  But only Dylan knows if that is the next thing out of the vaults.  When you realize he cleared the Basement Tapes with all the crap attached to it (bad sound, half finished songs, insanely bad covers, et. al.) then there should be room for not only BOTT, but also the outtakes from Infidels as well. Those are also quite good.

LouieB

As if on cue, I was reading these comments and the alternate version of Tangled Up in Blue from Blood on the Tapes came up on my iTunes shuffle at work. Weird.

So he drifted down to L.A.

Where he reckoned he’d try his luck

Working for a while in an airplane plant

Loading cargo onto a truck

:thumbup

and there's always new and old Wilco shows to listen to . It's like oxygen for me.

I know it's obnoxious to quote myself, but just as I was wondering what I was going to listen to today and feeling the need for something new, the recent Wilco show from St. Louis becomes available for download. So I'm set for a few days.

My continuing love of listening to music gets constantly re-charged not just from listening to new artists (about which there's been a lot of focus in this discussion) but new music from older artists I already follow, such as the recent Lucinda, the upcoming Jason Isbell and Richard Thompson, and discovering bands who have been around for a while who I happened to miss out on, such as Drive By Truckers.  I may love finding an existing band I've missed even more than finding a new artist, because then I have an entire catalog to catch up on.

The outtakes from BOTT should be due for the Bootleg series.  Some of the alternate versions are stunning.  But only Dylan knows if that is the next thing out of the vaults.  When you realize he cleared the Basement Tapes with all the crap attached to it (bad sound, half finished songs, insanely bad covers, et. al.) then there should be room for not only BOTT, but also the outtakes from Infidels as well. Those are also quite good.

LouieB

Word on the street (the Dylan fan site internet street) is that BOTT outtakes are the next edition of the Bootleg series. I'd love to get Infidels outtakes too, that's my favorite Dylan '80s record, and there's some stuff from those sessions I have been DYING to hear.

I don't find that my love of music is waning, just the amount of time I have to devote to it. But discovering new artists and hearing new music is still as enriching and entertaining as it has always been.

Glad to hear BOTT is finally getting out as Bootleg Series.  A friend gave me a couple CDs which I ripped into my computer from the 80s and that stuff is amazing too.  I am sure it will also come out within the next couple years. Now that they have cleared the vaults of the Basement Tapes I am sure they will clear the other sessions as well.  Who knew this would actually happen?  There is still plenty of stuff to release so maybe it will all get out in Bob's lifetime.

LouieB

I did experience a lull in searching out new music in my early 30s, after the kids were born. No time, no energy, no money, etc. There was about a 10 year gap. At age 40, things picked up again. I think it was easy access to a well supplied library that kicked it into gear. There is still the time issue but I manage. One thing I can not due is work on the computer and listen to music. Music becomes so distant to me that I don't even bother. Music still does remain a passion for me that I try to pass on to my kids. I couldn't imagine my need for and love of music ever falling by the wayside completely.

Yeah - I waited to my early 40's to start a family - and they suck up a lot of money and time --- I don't blow money on music nearly as often as I use to -- one is a the money thing, but another is finding the time to listen to the purchases.

Music is still played constantly though out the house, at least in one room or another -- my kids are liking the Beatles a little more than I would like - but there are worst things, like their requests for kidz bop - but I not going to be the one who tells them what they should listen to.

Music has become a background thing now as oppose sitting down with a beer and just listening to it, which I still do from time to time when everyone is asleep.

The library has been my go to source of music since moving out of the city and streaming, either from the Archive or Spotify - both are great.

Since moving to suburbia - attending shows are what I missed the most --- but in due time it will all come back around.

So, I guess no - my love of music has never waned.

I've enjoyed reading the responses to the question posed in this thread.  I'm 56 years old (how the heck did that happen?!) and I can honestly say that my love of music is as strong as ever. A lot of my contemporaries bitch about music "not being as good as it used to be" and I disagree strongly with that sentiment. There's so much great new music being made today -- it just takes a bit more effort to find it.  What I mean is that there is so much more music available now than when I was growing up, that much of the "good stuff" is drowned out by mainstream media/radio. Investing in XM radio about 10 years ago was a great decision and helps to keep me current (and commercial free).

One of the reasons I've been able to keep my passion for music alive is pretty pedestrian -- I have more money to spend on music than I had when I was growing up (i.e. I HAVE A JOB!).  I remember agonizing over the bins of LP's at Record Service in Champaign, IL wondering if I should spend the $5.99 for the new Talking Heads or R.E.M. album or spend that money on doing my laundry instead.  Spending $12.99 on a new CD doesn't seem like such a colossal decision anymore. I also have 4 kids who are in their early and mid-twenties.  All of them share my passion for music (I raised them right!) and they are a great source for what's new and interesting.   

And, as others have posted, there is nothing like live music to fuel my passion.  Seeing bands/artists like Wilco, Drive By Truckers, Yo La Tengo, Richard Thompson and the Mountain Goats keep me (and my ears) buzzing for days.     

Love reading peoples thoughts on this. I have to say my love of music has not really changed.

I buy more now than I ever did (because i can) and I still get incredibly excited when I find something I love. I look forward to putting the headphones on and listening to something in bed with the lights off as I drift off. What has changed is my emotional connection. I can still be very moved but nothing like when I was Sixteen and I have to assume that is normal. I just don't have the hormones coursing through me like I did then. But as I get older (47) I do find I have a capacity for a deeper kind of feeling in some ways. Maybe it's more cerebral, maybe I'm more in touch and in control of emotions, whatever it is, music is just as gratifying.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Amazon.com and get The Bee Gees "The Studio Albums 1967-1968" and "Odessa - 3 CD Deluxe Edition". That will straighten you out.

Listening to Odessa now for the first time (via Spotify) -- never heard any of the early Bee Gees' stuff before - pretty good stuff.

Nearly 43 and there is still so much stuff I never heard before - that's another thing that keeps my love of music from declining. 

It's one of those epic albums that gets overlooked - like Forever Changes.

The 3 cd Andrew Sandoval/Rhino version is great. The three albums before that one are also great. That guy really knows his stuff.

It's one of those epic albums that gets overlooked - like Forever Changes.

The 3 cd Andrew Sandoval/Rhino version is great. The three albums before that one are also great. That guy really knows his stuff.

Oh man, when I first heard Forever Changes in HS I was SHOCKED that I had never heard of it before. Now i know it's a pretty highly regarded album, but it should be really be more popular than it is.

Yeah, grab this one while I"m still seeding(GMT daytime only) the best Forever Changes around .

Dime a Dozen

Torrent #483002 Love with Arthur Lee - 2003-06-28 - Glastonbury Festival - PAL DVD

I wouldn't say that my love of music is declining at ALL.

However, as I get older, the ability of music to actually change my life is certainly down near nil. I'm too old for that.

But the love is still there. I listen for near 7 hours a day, maybe more.

I wouldn't say that my love of music is declining at ALL.

However, as I get older, the ability of music to actually change my life is certainly down near nil. I'm too old for that.

But the love is still there. I listen for near 7 hours a day, maybe more.

That's my point.  I'm still into it.  I'm just more intentional about it.  I'm slowly, but surely going digital because, as I age, I just don't feel as connected to physical objects anymore.  At the same time, I'm sick over the death of CDs and record stores.  I know they are still out there and I could just do that, but it's so easy going digital when I have so many other work and family obligations.  I'm am sad my kids won't really understand music outside of the digital realm.  I guess that's progress for you.  One advantage is that with iTunes, I can buy individual songs and not have to buy the whole CD and have it suck.  The disadvantage, I don't give albums as much time to sink in.  

As you said, music can't blow us away anymore.  Ah, that first time I heard Black Dog!

That's my point.  I'm still into it.  I'm just more intentional about it.  I'm slowly, but surely going digital because, as I age, I just don't feel as connected to physical objects anymore.  At the same time, I'm sick over the death of CDs and record stores.  I know they are still out there and I could just do that, but it's so easy going digital when I have so many other work and family obligations. 

This. Exactly.

As those of you in your 30s, 40s and 50s are listening to records I listened to in my teens and 20s (because they were newish), I am now constantly going back to music from before I was born and getting into that.  There is 50 to 60 years of music from before I was born to get into and some of it is really great. (Not always 100% in key....)  And since the recording industry exploded even during the 50s and 60s (when I was alive) there is still plenty to learn about.

We used to listen to Love and the Bee Gees and I am pretty much done with them forever.  There are piles of jazz, blues, soul, and other types of music I have never listened to.  That's my agenda for the rest of my life.

Additionally just trying to keep up (and failing) with new material from artists I follow and a few that I just find out about (contemporary and otherwise) is plenty. (Yep that's right, I never need to hear another Beach Boys album ever again.)

LouieB

As those of you in your 30s, 40s and 50s are listening to records I listened to in my teens and 20s (because they were newish), I am now constantly going back to music from before I was born and getting into that.  There is 50 to 60 years of music from before I was born to get into and some of it is really great. (Not always 100% in key....)  And since the recording industry exploded even during the 50s and 60s (when I was alive) there is still plenty to learn about.

well, i've been listening to a lot of Mississippi John Hurt lately (or re-discovering him). i'm only 37 and my parents werent even born when he first started his 1928 recordings.... and they still the test of time!