Got about 25 places I would love to travel to that I haven't yet. Wanted to see if anyone has been and if you give a glowing recommendation to travel there.

in no particular order

Iceland

Antartica

South Africa/Namibia

China (Xi'an)

Maldives

Tibet/Mongolia

Bhutan

Romania/Bulgaria

Morocco

Siciliy

Portugal

Greenland

Kauai (Hawaii)

Croatia

Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam

Turkey (Cappadocia)

Galapagos Islands

Easter Island

Iguazu Falls

St Petersburg Russia

Cartagena Colombia

Tikal Guatemala

Prince Edwards Island/New Brunswick Canada

Western Australia

French Polynesia

Got about 25 places I would love to travel to that I haven't yet. Wanted to see if anyone has been and if you give a glowing recommendation to travel there.

in no particular order

Iceland

Greenland

I spent 2 weeks in Iceland with a brief side trip to Greenland. Iceland was beautiful: waterfalls and natural hot springs everywhere, glaciers, volcanoes, friendly people... We drove around the country and fell in love with the place. Another thing I enjoyed was the wide open spaces with nobody around for miles: we were the only people at a few sites we visited. It was also nice being able to sightsee very late in the evening due to the seemingly neverending light during the summer days. I would definitely go back if I had a chance.

What I saw of Greenland was very cool too. We did a dog sled ride over frozen water which was really fun. The scenery was breathtaking too: icebergs floating near the coast line, beautiful snowcapped mountains... would love to see more of the place.

I love New Brunswick. Fundy National Park is amazing, definitely spend a few days there. PEI is nice too, but more laid back - not much "to do" but very beautiful, enjoyable countryside.

Sicily was awesome. I visited Palermo, Catania, Siracusa, and Taormina. You could easily spend a whole week or more just on that little island. They even have concerts in the anicent amphitheater at Taormina, Mark Knopfler seems to stop there often nowadays.

Haven't been to your other destinations. Easter Island and my ancestral hometown in Slovakia are my bucket list places.

The only one on that list that I've made it too is the Galapagos and they're so worth it. I share a lot of your dream destinations.

I'm actually decompressing after a day of stomping around Amsterdam right now, which was one on my list. It's pretty neat, but I'm glad we had more time in Berlin on this trip.

Portugal

Went for a month after high school graduation (girlfriend was from there). Beaches were great, people very friendly, great food and wine. I got ripped off on a ball of hash but there was a lot of it around, too (gf told me not to buy it off the street as they set Americans up for busts and get the money and hash back from the police, but I did anyway. Hello 18!). Lots of cool old buildings. Went up to Fatima for a day, too. 

I'd go back.

Wow, those destinations are exotic. With two little dudes (0.5, and 2.5), I'm just looking forward to future camping trips.

Though it looks like next summer we'll be parking the guys with my folks for a wedding trip to France!

I got a 3 month old and a 3 year old. Wouldn't bring them along for most destinations on the list. Hoping however for Iceland or Canada with the kids though. Two weeks a year my in-laws watch the kids and I hope to knock off a place or two when I can! Keep the stories coming I love hearing and daydreaming of my next trip!

Went for a month after high school graduation (girlfriend was from there). Beaches were great, people very friendly, great food and wine. I got ripped off on a ball of hash but there was a lot of it around, too (gf told me not to buy it off the street as they set Americans up for busts and get the money and hash back from the police, but I did anyway. Hello 18!). Lots of cool old buildings. Went up to Fatima for a day, too.

I'd go back.

Ha to be young! Disclaimer I have been to Portugal before but only the Azores which was incredible!!!

I was in Croatia for 9 days a few weeks ago. I definitely give a glowing recommendation. Mainly the Dalmatian Coast but Istrian peninsula and Lake Plitivice National Park. It's a must. We started in Slovenia for 5 days and ended with 3 in Bosnia. Amazing trip.

Was in New Brunswick a few years back, Enjoyed it but not nearly as much as Nova Scotia or Newfoundland, which I think you have been.

I was in Croatia for 9 days a few weeks ago. I definitely give a glowing recommendation. Mainly the Dalmatian Coast but Istrian peninsula and Lake Plitivice National Park. It's a must. We started in Slovenia for 5 days and ended with 3 in Bosnia. Amazing trip.

Was in New Brunswick a few years back, Enjoyed it but not nearly as much as Nova Scotia or Newfoundland, which I think you have been.

Ah yes..just got back form Newfoundland a few weeks ago..had a great time. Nova Scotia I was in and would also go back too!

I spent two summers in Thailand when I was much younger -- about 25 years ago! It changed my life -- at 20 I had no concept that much of the rest of the world lives in relative poverty (compared to Americans) and yet the Thai people are among the happiest. If you can get there, it is amazing (frequent political unrest notwithstanding). I will never forget seeing a mass of shorn-headed Buddhist monks in saffron robes, serenely walking in the rain, all holding black umbrellas. The temple ruins, floating market, resort islands, and hill country are all must-sees.

I spent 2 weeks in Iceland with a brief side trip to Greenland. Iceland was beautiful: waterfalls and natural hot springs everywhere, glaciers, volcanoes, friendly people... We drove around the country and fell in love with the place. Another thing I enjoyed was the wide open spaces with nobody around for miles: we were the only people at a few sites we visited. It was also nice being able to sightsee very late in the evening due to the seemingly neverending light during the summer days. I would definitely go back if I had a chance.

Going to Iceland in mid- September. Sounds so amazing-- cannot wait!

Going to Iceland in mid- September. Sounds so amazing-- cannot wait!

That is fantastic. You're going late enough that you'll probably be able to do the Iceland interior. That was the one thing we missed out on going in June, our excursion got cancelled due to road conditions. It turned out okay as we ended up doing a trip to the Westman Islands instead, which was quite interesting (it was the site of a massive volcano eruption in the early '70s, you can still see homes half buried by molten lava there.)

How long are you going for? Are you getting a car there?

If you're driving around the country, get readly for some beautiful and harrowing drives, especially in the Northwest fjords. Okay, that may sound misleading, the majority of the drive is relatively tame, especially on the ring road, but there's definitely a few spots where it's white knuckle city.

Portland/Seattle/Vancouver

New Zealand

Australia -- Melbourne

British Isles

Scandinavia

Prague/Eastern Europe, in general--that is where my family is from.

Porgugal

Spain

Japan -- Oaska (not Tokyo. I don't need to see another giant metropolis)

New York City (well, I probably should see at least this one at least one time)

Portland/Seattle/Vancouver

New Zealand

Australia -- Melbourne

British Isles

Scandinavia

Prague/Eastern Europe, in general--that is where my family is from.

Porgugal

Spain

Japan -- Oaska (not Tokyo. I don't need to see another giant metropolis)

New York City (well, I probably should see at least this one at least one time)

I was in love with Tokyo it is not a typical large city!..I have also been to Osaka and it reminded me of LA. Kyoto on the other hand is probably my favorite travel destination of all time! Hey also if you ever make it to NYC I can give you the untouristy tour !

That is fantastic. You're going late enough that you'll probably be able to do the Iceland interior. That was the one thing we missed out on going in June, our excursion got cancelled due to road conditions. It turned out okay as we ended up doing a trip to the Westman Islands instead, which was quite interesting (it was the site of a massive volcano eruption in the early '70s, you can still see homes half buried by molten lava there.)

How long are you going for? Are you getting a car there?

If you're driving around the country, get readly for some beautiful and harrowing drives, especially in the Northwest fjords. Okay, that may sound misleading, the majority of the drive is relatively tame, especially on the ring road, but there's definitely a few spots where it's white knuckle city.

My trip is only six days. Not sure about renting a car. Planning to spend the first couple days in Reykjavik and then do some exploring. Honestly, I'm a little overwhelmed by all the possibilities and decisions! We could keep Reykjavik as a home base and do day trips to see nearby things, or rent a car and strike out on our own for a few days, staying in the southwest part of the country. Would welcome any suggestions! PM me if it seems like this conversation will derail the thread.

My trip is only six days. Not sure about renting a car. Planning to spend the first couple days in Reykjavik and then do some exploring. Honestly, I'm a little overwhelmed by all the possibilities and decisions! We could keep Reykjavik as a home base and do day trips to see nearby things, or rent a car and strike out on our own for a few days, staying in the southwest part of the country. Would welcome any suggestions! PM me if it seems like this conversation will derail the thread.

Reykjavik is a good homebase, lots to do and see around the southern portion of the country. There's a few good day trips you can do relatively nearby:

Blue Lagoon (Pretty much a must visit. This is quite close to the Keflavík airport. We went to these hot springs shorly after arriving. Perfect way to relax after a long flight.)

Gullfoss & Geysir Hot Springs (Iceland's Niagara Falls & Old Faithful. They're fairly close together, definitely a must see.)

Skogafoss / Reynisfjara (Another worthy sidetrip to see more of Iceland's natural beauty.)

And of course Reykjavik has enough stuff to do and see that you can stay busy for days. Lots of great stores, restaurants, a cool looking church that you can't miss. It was great spending a few days there just soaking it all in. Reykjavik is big enough that you feel like you're in a typical European city with all the amenities that go along with that (they even have a 24-7 superstore that has a bit of everything.) it's pretty much the only city there that feels that way.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need more suggestions.

From the places on the OPs list, I've been to Morocco and Croatia.

Morocco: Flew into Agadir, as most of the resort package deals from these sorts do. Nothing special, get out as fast as you can because there are so many other places much more worth seeing. Drove through the High Atlas to Marrakech, stopping overnight along the way. Never have I seen a starrier sky than that night. Marrakech was like walking back in time (if you can dig a bit deeper than the tourist market). Then to Essaoiura (sp?). A beautiful city by the see with gnawa music on the streets. I'd go back to Morocco in a heartbeat.

Croatia: Zagreb is ok, but not really unlike many other cities from the former Austro-Hungarian empire. Worth a day or two if you fly in, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit. The Dalmatian coast is the true gem, and Istria is great too. For cities, swim around the walls of Dubrovnik (south on the Dalmatian coast) or wander the streets of Rovinj (Istria).  Don't limit yourself, there are literally hundreds of islands in between those two places, and lots of ferries and bridges to connect them. Definitely beautiful. Croatian people aren't unfriendly but can be a bit tiresome, the men in particular (All the bravado and machismo of the Italians but lacking in most of the charm).

... my ancestral hometown in Slovakia are my bucket list places.

Out of curiosity, what town in Slovakia? I'm not far away and have been through several times...

I lived in Turkey for a year in the mid 80s (exchange student at age 17) and have travelled all over the entire country twice again in the 90s.

Its a wonderful country and a perfect one, IMO, for getting a taste of Middle Eastern Islamic culture without danger or too much extreme fundamentalism (but that has been on the rise even in Turkey in the past 20 years, like lots of places, including the US, IMO).  People are very friendly, hospitality to strangers is a virtue and most people are tolerant and respectful of different religious traditions.  You will very likely experience plenty of 3rd world/2nd world challenges/frustrations/laughable situations, but that is part of travel, right? For example, Turks typically want to help strangers so much that if you ask them something they don't know, like directions, they might tell you incorrect information in an attempt to help rather than tell you they don't know.

Cappadoccia is a must see with its desert chimney spires and sandstone rock formations and primitive churches from the first few centuries AD.

There are lots of awesome places in Turkey, though.  The Aegean and Mediterranean coasts are beautiful and rugged with pine trees, rocky shorelines, protected bays, azure water and sandy beaches.  Lots of cool little towns, some of them the most liberal and European-like in the country.  They even have some topless beaches there, if you can believe that in an Islamic country.  Its a great place to do a chartered yacht trip, if you can afford it.  Land travel in the area is longer and less comfortable due to the windy roads.

I would not miss several days or even a week in Istanbul to see the main tourists sites and just check out the old part of the city and head up the Bosphorus to the affluent former fishing villages.  Its an incredible city, huge, with so much ancient history all over the place.  Coming into the city by water at sunset or sunrise with all the minarets silhouetted against the skyline and the call of the muezzins ringing out across the city is an overwhelming and exotic experience for Westerners, just awesome.  Probably not as crazy as, say, Cairo, but its got all that chaos, crowdedness, hustle and bustle, exotic sights and smells, but at a more manageable level of intensity.

Going to Eastern Turkey is for the more adventurous, but you could check out Gaziantep and Urfa and Diyarbakir in the Southeast if you want to experience Kurdish culture and the most Middle Eastern climate and culture in the country. You could go to bleak and mountainous Northeastern Turkey if you want to meet tribal nomadic people and mountain climb/trek.

Regions of Turkey are all very different from one another in climate, geography, food and local culture.  The Black Sea coast where tea is grown, is rainy lush and green with lots of sea food.

One of the best things about Turkey is the incredible cuisine. Basically a Mediterranean Middle Eastern/Greek blend. (Don't attribute Turkish culture to Greeks in front of Turks, though.  They are extremely prideful).  So much fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, cheese, breads, etc etc. I love to eat and eat there, I have so many favorites and its all in the simple cafes, casual eateries and even the street food.

If you want more tips, PM me.  Happy to share.

I am in the process of planning a trip to Istanbul for next summer. Heading to France for the Euro's but have a week (or more) between games. We are planning on heading to Istanbul and Jordan for a couple of days each. Any recommendations are welcome. 

I spent a miserable 24 hours in Iceland about a year and half ago. Our flight got delayed for a day and in December on our way to France for our honeymoon. Long story short - if you haven't packed for Iceland in December, don't go to Iceland in December. 

Dry Tortugas National Park

Adak, Alaska

Barrow, Alaska

I hope to hit all 50 states one day, 31 down with Idaho and Montana being checked off in about a month.

Nice..good luck on your goals..I hit my 50th state a little over 5 years ago it was an overwhelming expierence for me! Now I got to revist the ones I didn't spend too much time in lol!

Nice..good luck on your goals..I hit my 50th state a little over 5 years ago it was an overwhelming expierence for me! Now I got to revist the ones I didn't spend too much time in lol!

Yeah there's a couple I've barely set foot in like Wisconsin, Indiana, Connecticut and Massachusetts that I need to spend more time in. A couple of years ago I had to drive from Atlanta to northern Maine to pick up my brother. Maine really left an impression on me in the day I spent up there. Absolutely gorgeous forests.

Yeah there's a couple I've barely set foot in like Wisconsin, Indiana, Connecticut and Massachusetts that I need to spend more time in. A couple of years ago I had to drive from Atlanta to northern Maine to pick up my brother. Maine really left an impression on me in the day I spent up there. Absolutely gorgeous forests.

Maine is wonderful...so is Massachussets. Definatley come back! I had to do the drive from NJ to Atlanta about 4 times in the last few years lol we probably passed eachother