RIP Scott Weiland

I just took a moment to think about what it must be like to be the friend, family member or bandmate of someone with a 20-year heroin habit. Every time they don't answer the door/phone or show up for band practice terrible thoughts must run through their minds. 

Poisoning is the leading cause of injury deaths in the United States and the majority of them are opiate deaths. They outnumber automobile deaths and quadruple the number of gun homicides every year, but there isn't much said about them. We really need to get a handle on the problem -- especially with prescription painkillers. 

I had seen some less than stellar performance video of a recent show. Really sad that we all are not surprised. Nobody was able to get through to him.

He was always really on or really off. Saw STP three times and him solo once. Solo show was sht. Fortunately I saw two out of three great STP show

Non-guilty pleasure for me. Always liked their (STP's) sound/vibe. A sad deal that he died at a young age, and although it hasn't been reported that it was drug-related (source I read said he "died in his sleep"), that's one tough drug to leave behind.

Non-guilty here too.   Purple is a fantastic album.  Musically they had some complex and unique chords and chord progressions and he had a great voice.  We play Plush once in awhile and the crowd always loves it.  I have to assume drugs were involved, otherwise I have to live with the possibility that someone my age can just die in their sleep.

If you guys haven't read this yet, you should. It's excellent.  A letter from his ex-wife to Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207

Such a sad story.

And then I made the mistake of diving into the comments. It's depressing that such an article would inspire people to take the time to take the author down.

I never listened to this band, aside from their radio hits. Wasn't really my thing. In the '90s, I tagged along with my friend's band, who were playing the "Locals Stage" on the concourse of an STP amphitheater show.  Meat Puppets and Jawbox were on the bill, too, so despite my being a non-fan of STP, it was a good lineup overall.  Well, damned if STP didn't put on a hell of a show.  I still don't listen to them, but I gained a lot of respect for them after that. It's a shame that Weiland wasn't able to survive his demons.

I understand the ex wife letter and it's good. But part of me thinks she signed up for it. I don't know the situation but guessing the issues were there before they were married? Did she think he would suddenly get clean and turn his life around once the kids showed up?

I understand the ex wife letter and it's good. But part of me thinks she signed up for it. I don't know the situation but guessing the issues were there before they were married? Did she think he would suddenly get clean and turn his life around once the kids showed up?

Probably. Maybe not suddenly, but I'm sure she had hopes he'd phase it out. Also, he obviously  wasn't as far gone 15 or so years ago when STP was formed/came into the mainstream. Drug abuse tends to get progressively worse....

I'm sure he did get clean, several times, during their relationship. That's what love is all about - hoping for the best for our loved one, and hating the bad decisions that they make. 

The one story in that article that really crushed me was his refusal to see his kids' Christmas plays because he was atheist. Really dude? That's the hill you're going to die on? Pick your battles...

As someone with 2,404 days sober, I would just throw in the ideas that addiction is a progressive disease and addicts are brilliant liars and manipulators by necessity. I don't think it's fair to second guess a person's motive for entering a marriage and/or what that person knew or should have known about the horrendous potential of her future spouse's spiritual and mental illness(es).

As someone with 2,404 days sober, I would just throw in the ideas that addiction is a progressive disease and addicts are brilliant liars and manipulators by necessity. I don't think it's fair to second guess a person's motive for entering a marriage and/or what that person knew or should have known about the horrendous potential of her future spouse's spiritual and mental illness(es).

Fair enough, I'm sympathetic. Certainly for the kids. I know nothing about the situation. My armchair based on nothing thought is that she was willing to overlook his obvious train wreck tendencies because he was a rich rock star. She married him in 2000, clearly well into his issues. But maybe he was in a clean phase. To then complain about the train wreck life seems a bit naive but it's sad for all of them.

Congrats on the 2400+ days! I'm starting to worry a bit about the amount I'm drinking lately...

Well said, Atticus.  As someone who was the recipient of years and years of brilliant lies, not-so-brilliant-lies, and insane amounts of manipulation from an alcoholic spouse, I can fully appreciate the disappointment and bitterness Weiland's ex-wife feels.  I didn't see the signs when I entered the relationship, but once they began to surface, I initially dismissed them.  When it finally registered that it was a problem that could no longer be ignored, I naively thought I could help fix the problem.  Boy, was I wrong.  What a incredibly vicious cycle of sobriety and relapse.  I've recently divorced and my ex-wife is supposedly "sober" for 8+ months, but I gotta be honest, she remains a manipulative liar and hasn't taken a shred of responsibility for the damage and destruction her behavior/addiction did to our family.  She is not a rock star and I won't be writing a letter to Rolling Stone magazine if she tragically dies at some point soon.  However, if she was and I was in a position to write such a letter, I imagine it would be fairly similar to what Weiland's ex penned.