Politics 2016 (election edition)

Bill Maher is a smug prick. He may be factually correct more often than Limbaugh, but he's almost as pointlessly crude and disrespectful towards people.

I'm a Maher fan. Nothing wrong with being a smug prick when you are correctly calling out smug lying scumbag pricks. We should always call a spade a spade.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it seem that the only amendment conservatives care about is the 2nd?

That's the biggie, but only the second half but they care about others.

People I know, who ironically are against govt overreach, think that the 4th and 5th are technicalities that give criminals too much wiggle room.

They love the 10th and want it expanded.

Not fans of 14 and think 15 is unnecessary in today's world.

16th is in constitutional.

Want to repeal 17

19 and 26 should be struck down

And think the first gives the press too much leeway and churches not enough.

Do they all feel this way? Of course not, but ive heard one or more of these sentiments from many people.

Do they all feel this way? Of course not, but ive heard one or more of these sentiments from many people.

You have the nominee of the GOP, pretty much put out proposals going against the first amendment and you have the Supreme Court further erode our 4th and nary an eye is batted. You have a suggestion of gun control and you would think we are goose stepping to a dictatorship by the way they complain.

The left is strong in Television? Last I checked Fox News pretty much lead the ratings:

For some reason when I read your post it occurred to me I have no idea who the evening anchors are for ABC, CBS or NBC. It's amazing how irrelevant they've become. When I was a little kid they were a big fucking deal.

Democrats Stage Sit-In On House Floor Over Gun Bill :yes

Republicans shut off C-SPAN cameras

I am not sure why everyone is so up in arms about this, it is not the House actually does anything anymore.

I am not sure why everyone is so up in arms about this, it is not the House actually does anything anymore.

This info was posted with pride for the Democrats who won't take no for an answer

This info was posted with pride for the Democrats who won't take no for an answer

I meant the people on the Right and the current leadership of the House.  Ryan wants this to end to so they can get back to the normal business of the House.  I am not sure what that is.  The Democrats could sit there until January and about the same amount would get done is it was normal business.  

Just remember, to Conservatives the only good amendment is the the Second Amendment.  

The dems want a vote that they know they will most likely lose. The republicans don't want that vote probably, mainly because this is an election year and they don't want to be in the record on this hot button topic that is in the fore front of the public consciousness. They would prefer to vote on corporate tax breaks, cutting food stamps, defunding planned parenthood, Reoealing obamacare, anything but this.

http://www.jambase.com/article/members-music-community-pen-open-letter-congress-regarding-gun-violence

The editors of Billboard magazine have posted an open letter to the U.S. Congress requesting they take action in response to gun violence including the recent mass shooting in an Orlando nightclub that left 49 people dead. Several prominent musicians and other members of the music community are among those who signed the letter which demands a background check for every gun sale and the blockage of suspected terrorists from buying guns.

Among the signatures are those of Grateful Dead members Bill Kreutzmann, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and their Dead & Company mate Jeff Chimenti, The Beatles’ Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, as well as Yoko Ono, the members of My Morning Jacket and Pearl Jam, Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, Pat Sansone, Glenn Kotcheand Mikael Jorgensen, Radiohead’s Thom Yorke, The Beastie Boys’ Mike D, The Roots’ Questlove, The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne, plus Beck, Billy Joel, Bonnie Raitt, Carole King, Elvis Costello, Iggy Pop, Jackson Browne, John Mellencamp, Michael Stipe, Sting, Matisyahu, Andrew Bird and several others.

Executives such as Tom Windish of the Windish Agency, Scott Borchetta of Big Machine Label Group, Michael Rapino of Live Nation, Irving Azoff of Azoff Madison Square Entertainment and Daniel Ek of Spotify were also among those who signed the open letter. A portion of the letter is below, head here to read it in full.

As leading artists and executives in the music industry, we are adding our voices to the chorus of Americans demanding change.

Music always has been celebrated communally, on dancefloors and at concert halls. But this life-affirming ritual, like so many other daily experiences—going to school or church or work—now is threatened, because of gun violence in this country.

The one thing that connects the recent tragedies in Orlando is that it is far too easy for dangerous people to get their hands on guns.

http://www.jambase.com/article/members-music-community-pen-open-letter-congress-regarding-gun-violence

The editors of Billboard magazine have posted an open letter to the U.S. Congress requesting they take action in response to gun violence including the recent mass shooting in an Orlando nightclub that left 49 people dead. Several prominent musicians and other members of the music community are among those who signed the letter which demands a background check for every gun sale and the blockage of suspected terrorists from buying guns.

Among the signatures are those of Grateful Dead members Bill Kreutzmann, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and their Dead & Company mate Jeff Chimenti, The Beatles’ Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, as well as Yoko Ono, the members of My Morning Jacket and Pearl Jam, Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, Pat Sansone, Glenn Kotcheand Mikael Jorgensen, Radiohead’s Thom Yorke, The Beastie Boys’ Mike D, The Roots’ Questlove, The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne, plus Beck, Billy Joel, Bonnie Raitt, Carole King, Elvis Costello, Iggy Pop, Jackson Browne, John Mellencamp, Michael Stipe, Sting, Matisyahu, Andrew Bird and several others.

Executives such as Tom Windish of the Windish Agency, Scott Borchetta of Big Machine Label Group, Michael Rapino of Live Nation, Irving Azoff of Azoff Madison Square Entertainment and Daniel Ek of Spotify were also among those who signed the open letter. A portion of the letter is below, head here to read it in full.

As leading artists and executives in the music industry, we are adding our voices to the chorus of Americans demanding change.

Music always has been celebrated communally, on dancefloors and at concert halls. But this life-affirming ritual, like so many other daily experiences—going to school or church or work—now is threatened, because of gun violence in this country.

The one thing that connects the recent tragedies in Orlando is that it is far too easy for dangerous people to get their hands on guns.

I applaud Billboard and these musicians for standing up for what they believe in.  However, I am fearful that this is all for nothing again.  I would bet next week (barring another mass shooting) we will be on to the next thing that will outrage the populace.  Unless there is constant badgering of the leadership, it is extremely unlikely that anything will change.  The best shot for any type of firearm legislation probably will not come until January.  It is looking increasingly likely that the Senate will go back to the Democrats along with the presidency.  The House, although very unlikely, could flip as well.  Until the Democrats control both houses and presidency there will be no legislation on guns. 

But if this is truly an important issue to people a constant reminder is needed.  Every artist listed needs to remind every visitor to their site and at every single concert the perform at about this issue.  Billboard needs to put full page ads in their magazine explaining the importance.  They need to make it important.  But unfortunately, they won't.  This will not be talked about in a couple of weeks , until someone goes into a restaurant and kills 20 more.   Then it will be a problem.  

Remember when Scalia died and the Senate failed to do their constitutionally mandated duty?  Hey their failure to act on that really isn't going to have any lasting consequence.

The GOP is failure of a political party.     

The GOP is failure of a political party.     

I have been a registered independent since I started voting in 1986. I have voted for candidates from both parties in the past 30 years, though more Democrats than Republicans overall. I like to think that I vote the best candidate for our country (state, town, etc.). Susan Collins, Republican Senator from my state - got my vote. She was a much better choice than her opponents the past elections. She leads, she compromises when necessary, she listens, she values her role as a legislator. Senator Angus King, an Independent, got my vote - he was clearly the best choice. Paul LePage, our batshit crazy Republican governor, did not get my vote.

Unfortunately for all of us, the Republican Party's failures to govern, lead, legislate, compromise, and carry out their duties has led me to wholeheartedly agree with the above statement (and the current decision to not consider Garland's nomination to the Supreme Court is a big piece of evidence for me). I seriously wonder if Susan Collins is questioning her allegiance to her party.

^^^ It makes me more worried about my 401(k).   David Cameron deserves worse than resignation for thinking that having a "referendum" on something important is a good idea.

Well an insane populist idea ruled by fear and lies just won in the UK. This is not a good thing. It makes me worried about our election.

If this goes the way experts have predicted, I wonder how long it will be before they try to get back in.

As an American of Scotch/English descent, a consumer of BBC news and something of an anglophile it is often far too easy to unthinkingly trust that the UK will tend towards being dependably reasonable all the time. This ignores the fact that their society has the same proportionate cross section of lunatics and dimwits that ours does. Ya ken?

I heard some notion that the Scottish independence movement may try to exit the UK and reenter the EU.