• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the conversation continues as if it was an eternal Dark Star Jam!

Incidentally, I've been listening to that Other Ones live disc Only The Strange Remain.  I like Hornsby's songs on there.  Fun setlist too.  Wish they'd curate some sets from all the incarnations.  I'd definitely buy them.  Much easier than sloughing through a ton of shows looking for gems.

Thanks A-Man.

Heading up to the Saturday Alpine Dead & Company show this summer. Going with my wife and another couple - the other couple happens to be the sister and brother-in-law of a great friend of ours who was killed in a motorcycle wreck about 13 years ago -- never met them prior to his passing, but we became great friends with them after they had to come up to the Chicago to claim his body - it's kinda neat that we are heading up there with them, just like my wife and I use to head up there with our friend all those times --- all that time ago. Looking forward to it. 

The last time I was at Alpine was when my buddy and I went up there when the all the Dead got back together in 2002.

Yeah - that was was pretty harsh not inviting him. Yesterday would have been his birthday.

I remember hearing an interview with the band prior to the reunion shows and Mickey Hart being kind of flippant about it saying something like Vinnie playing with them 'wasn't in the cards' or something like that.

Yeah - that was was pretty harsh not inviting him. Yesterday would have been his birthday.

I remember hearing an interview with the band prior to the reunion shows and Mickey Hart being kind of flippant about it saying something like Vinnie playing with them 'wasn't in the cards' or something like that.

The suicide attempt on the Ratdog bus didn't help, nor the frequent calls to GD management to get the band back together. Still, it was a shitty thing to do to him. He was a fragile and somewhat broken man, by then....

I think it was officially billed as the below - so they could get around inviting Vince --- which is still shitty - but I guess that's music business...

Almost seven years to the day after the Grateful Dead's last show ever, all surviving members of the original band -- Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir -- will reunite as The Other Ones for Terrapin Station, A Grateful Dead Family Reunion.

I think I saw one of Vince's last performances, if not his last. Sitting in with Dead cover band Cubensis for a few songs in San Diego. It was pretty sad.

Cool. I was supposed to see him with Missing Man Formation at a bar in town, oddly enough, named partially after his tune "True Blue," (called Quixote's True Blue). I went down town for the show and the bar had been turned into a vigil/memorial with candles and shit. He'd died that morning (or perhaps the morning before, I forget), but it was news to me.

I met him and got to hang with him a few times as he used to hang out for hours before his shows at the bar and drink and smoke and dance with the gals. A quiet, humble guy.

Didn't Vince play at some camp ground at the Terrapin thing on 2002? I remember that show was the first time I live streamed something. During the Playin' I really thought the Dead were back. Herring was a good fit.

I liked Vince when he started, but I really can't listen to those shows much. The band obviously didn't give a shit. It was a sinking ship...still some good shows though:)

Didn't Vince play at some camp ground at the Terrapin thing on 2002? I remember that show was the first time I live streamed something. During the Playin' I really thought the Dead were back. Herring was a good fit.

I liked Vince when he started, but I really can't listen to those shows much. The band obviously didn't give a shit. It was a sinking ship...still some good shows though:)

He played at a (local?) Thai restaurant the night before (supposedly) and in the Alpine campground area the day of, clinging to hopes of a last minute invite, I suppose. 

And yeah, slim pickins for shows to re-visit in the Vince years, though there are a few that are worthy that come to mind....

I think it was reprehensible the way they treated him, not inviting him to play at Alpine, etc.

All I can say is this - the Grateful Dead's music is the soundtrack to my entire adult life, but they are quite a bunch of dysfunctional motherfuckers. 

I'm about 2/3 of the way through David Browne's book ("So Many Roads"), and it's a VERY interesting, excellent piece of scholarship. It's also the most unflattering portrayal you're likely to read. They really weren't very nice people much of the time. 

I'm about 2/3 of the way through David Browne's book ("So Many Roads"), and it's a VERY interesting, excellent piece of scholarship. It's also the most unflattering portrayal you're likely to read. They really weren't very nice people much of the time. 

Bought this a couple months ago but haven't gotten to it yet. Still meed to send the Cutler book your way....

I think it was reprehensible the way they treated him, not inviting him to play at Alpine, etc.

All I can say is this - the Grateful Dead's music is the soundtrack to my entire adult life, but they are quite a bunch of dysfunctional motherfuckers. 

It is amazing how a lot of great rock musicians can be brilliant, talented, and even have some spiritual depth. But emotionally they are stuck in adolescence, as no one has pushed them to grow up. Neil Young, Dylan,etc., geniuses, but treat people around them like shit.

Bought this a couple months ago but haven't gotten to it yet. Still meed to send the Cutler book your way....

Really fascinating insights on areas we don't usually hear too much about - where the band members' heads were at during the '75 'hiatus', stuff on the aborted '84 recording sessions, etc.

edit: Phil comes across as an arrogant, bitchy fucker quite a bit, but in hindsight he was right about 90% of the time. And still is, imo.

Knocked out the first chapter last night, looks like it'll be an engaging read. One thing that popped out was how broke they (Garcia/MG were referenced) were in 1970, still (on WIC, eating PB&J and buying big bags of rice, etc.) and then the images of the Festival Express from same time period....

Really fascinating insights on areas we don't usually hear too much about - where the band members' heads were at during the '75 'hiatus', stuff on the aborted '84 recording sessions, etc.

edit: Phil comes across as an arrogant, bitchy fucker quite a bit, but in hindsight he was right about 90% of the time. And still is, imo.

Phil was the only one who said "no" when Dylan asked to join the band. Given Dylan's condition at the time, he was right. Would've been cool though.

Phil was the only one who said "no" when Dylan asked to join the band. Given Dylan's condition at the time, he was right. Would've been cool though.

Was not a huge fan of the collaboration. Dylan mauled some of his own tunes (imo), particularly back in '86. Subsequent years had him seemingly barking lyrics out (always thought he looked like a big, barking chipmunk on the Jumbotrons), and I never thought the band and he melded too well. I like Dylan's take on his tunes but I also love how the GD covered him, too. Often, the 2 sides doing the same tune together at the same time turned into an almost futile and struggling effort (I'm thinking of "Baby Blue" '86 RFK, "Desolation Row" anywhere, etc. where tempos and expression of lyrics were  often waaay apart....).