• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm prone to skipping Bob tunes here and there.  Wang Dang Doodle and Same Thing come to mind.  I do like drums, particularly the end of drums into space with all that spacey shit Mickey did on the beam.

With 91-the end I'm prone to skipping songs.  Never skip Playin' or Eyes or most any other 2nd set tunes.  

Here's what I've been skipping for the last many years: drums>space, Tennessee, Roses, Row Jimmy, all the Brent original tunes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Row Jimmy 89-90 was awesome! Did not care for the Jerry slide versions in the early 70s though. Never skip Roses! :)

Row Jimmy 89-90 was awesome! Did not car for the Jerry slide versions in the early 70s though. Never skip Roses! :)

I remember hearing a Row Jimmy (which wasn't really a favorite song of mine) 12/30/91 Oakland,  and I heard Phil do this awesome melodic bass part that seemed like it was something brand new that he usually didn't play, it really opened my ears to that song.

https://archive.org/details/gd1991-12-30.sbd.miller.32574.sbeok.flac16

For several weeks I've been wanting to find some time to listen to some '71 Dead.  Got my chance today, pulled out the Houseboat Tapes, Dick's Pick 35.  Had a great time listening to most of disc 4, excerpts from teh 8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium show.  Something about this era of the 5 piece band just crackles with energy, each member shines.  And having Pig singing of course adds that great element.  Note the Weather Report intro lick played by Bobby during the return to The Other One. I'll be sure to be listening to the 3 other discs over the weekend.

I'm no audiophile, but 8/6/71 is a good example of the audience tapes being superior to the released sbd. The crowd really adds to the energy, it's palpable.

As for Row Jimmy, it's all about the space between the notes. Sometimes too much, other times not enough, but when it's right it's gravy. 

My 1971 throwback weekend continues with a spin through Three From the Vault, Portchester 2-19-71. I think it was Garcia who called this band the "shoot em up cowboy bar band", or something like that. Hits the mark. This was a couple of years before I caught on, but this was a good deal of the GD music we listened to at the time. The band really swings.

JGB, 6-16-82. I may have posted this before but wow, what a great show. Jerry is on fire and the band is swinging. My recording may be a matrix (honestly, I cant tell) but if it isnt, its the best AUD recording I know of. Perfect mix of crowd noise and high clarity music.

JGB, 6-16-82. I may have posted this before but wow, what a great show. Jerry is on fire and the band is swinging. My recording may be a matrix (honestly, I cant tell) but if it isnt, its the best AUD recording I know of. Perfect mix of crowd noise and high clarity music.

Great show. I caught the next night in New Haven. Kreutzman was on drums for this tour and Bobby & the Midnites opened. Weir came out for the double encore, too. Smoking shows on that summer '82 JGB tour.....

This is a recent addition to the archive:

This playlist lists all of the Grateful Dead's original songs (and some from their pre-Grateful Dead days) from 1966, to 1995; when they first debuted the songs in a live setting. From the first notes of "Caution" to the first performance of "Sugar Magnolia", and then all the way to the final live debut, "Unbroken Chain" in 1995, this gives the listener a glimpse into the early debut performances of some of the Grateful Dead's most well-known and beloved songs. Lyrical changes, differing tempos, and dynamics - it's all here, in it's raw glory.

https://archive.org/details/AllGratefulDeadOriginalSongDebuts66-95

This is a recent addition to the archive:

This playlist lists all of the Grateful Dead's original songs (and some from their pre-Grateful Dead days) from 1966, to 1995; when they first debuted the songs in a live setting. From the first notes of "Caution" to the first performance of "Sugar Magnolia", and then all the way to the final live debut, "Unbroken Chain" in 1995, this gives the listener a glimpse into the early debut performances of some of the Grateful Dead's most well-known and beloved songs. Lyrical changes, differing tempos, and dynamics - it's all here, in it's raw glory.

https://archive.org/details/AllGratefulDeadOriginalSongDebuts66-95

Very cool. Just re-listened to that first "Foolish Heart" from Alpine '88. I remember at the time thinking it was a slowed down "Tangled Up in Blue" until the lyrics came in.....

Yeah these Archive files have been fun to listen to -- first the Cover versions and now this one - both uploaded by the same person. What a great, amazing resource.

My 1971 throwback weekend continues with a spin through Three From the Vault, Portchester 2-19-71. I think it was Garcia who called this band the "shoot em up cowboy bar band", or something like that. Hits the mark. This was a couple of years before I caught on, but this was a good deal of the GD music we listened to at the time. The band really swings.

I think we spoke of it a few months back, but if you are in a 1971 frame of mind, don't forget the two strong shows in Berkeley on 8/14/71 and 8/15/71.  Ferocious guitar tones from Jerry!  https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-15.sbd.ladner.21780.sbeok.shnf

I don't have Dicks Picks 35 or Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 3 but they covered August 1971 pretty well, but I still dig those two Berkeley shows.

Gaelic Park Bronx 8-26-71 another show with the 5 piece Pigpen lineup and one of only two versions of Empty Pages.  Pig's vocals are a bit rough but if you like a Pigpen soul power ballad, its worth a listen.

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-26.sbd.dopey.1559.sbeok.shnf

Speaking of '71, although I didn't dig it out this weekend, one of my favorites is Fillmore East 4-28-71.  I've been listening to that Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA segment with TC since about '75, and it stills sends chills down my spine how good it is.  

Speaking of '71, although I didn't dig it out this weekend, one of my favorites is Fillmore East 4-28-71.  I've been listening to that Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA segment with TC since about '75, and it stills sends chills down my spine how good it is.  

Yep. One of my first tapes and same deal (except replace '75 with about '81) with the St.Stephen to the end.

The first West LA Fadeaway was pretty great  -- lyrics were a bit different. They debuted Day Job on  the same night (8-28-82) - a nice peppy version of Day Job.