Great show. I caught the next night in New Haven. Kreutzman was on drums for this tour and Bobby & the Midnites opened. Weir came out for the double encore, too. Smoking shows on that summer '82 JGB tour.....

I need to find some of these. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a recent addition to the archive:

This playlist lists all of the Grateful Dead's original songs (and some from their pre-Grateful Dead days) from 1966, to 1995; when they first debuted the songs in a live setting. From the first notes of "Caution" to the first performance of "Sugar Magnolia", and then all the way to the final live debut, "Unbroken Chain" in 1995, this gives the listener a glimpse into the early debut performances of some of the Grateful Dead's most well-known and beloved songs. Lyrical changes, differing tempos, and dynamics - it's all here, in it's raw glory.

https://archive.org/details/AllGratefulDeadOriginalSongDebuts66-95

That bust out of Seastones in'74 must've been epic!

Very cool. Just re-listened to that first "Foolish Heart" from Alpine '88. I remember at the time thinking it was a slowed down "Tangled Up in Blue" until the lyrics came in.....

Absolutely! I remember thinking the same thing.

Listening to this today -- Don't think I ever heard it before -- great set list for the 1st set and pretty well played through out.

I really like the early West LA's -- the early Touch of Grey's always seemed rushed.

Grateful Dead Live at Madison Square Garden on 1982-09-21 - Grateful Dead
Playin' In The Band-> Crazy Fingers-> Me & My Uncle-> Big River, West L.A. Fadeaway, Beat It On Down The Line-> Loser, Looks Like Rain, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider
2nd Set: Touch Of Gray-> Samson & Delilah, High Time, Estimated Prophet-> He's Gone-> Drums-> Throwing Stones-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> Good Lovin', E: U.S. Blues

Listening to this today -- Don't think I ever heard it before -- great set list for the 1st set and pretty well played through out.

I really like the early West LA's -- the early Touch of Grey's always seemed rushed.

Damn, that first set looks like a killer second set!

Throwin' went through lots of change too.  Interesting to hear that one tighten up through the years.  I think they captured it well on album.

BTW, when did Bob start doing that goofy verse during Other One?  We always called it Bob-Star.  '85?

Scorsese's doc on GD

http://www.jambase.com/article/preview-of-martin-scorsese-produced-grateful-dead-documentary-announced

Apr 8-10 at The Asbury Park Music In Film Festival

Though no footage from the documentary will be shown, the preview
will include a panel discussion on the upcoming film as per the
Asbury Park Press. Producers Eric Eisner and Justin Kreutzmann are
expected to take part in the discussion

BTW, when did Bob start doing that goofy verse during Other One?  We always called it Bob-Star.  '85?

Bob Star/Little Star was done a few times only in '83, iirc.I know one was done at Merriweather in '83,,,,

Bob Star/Little Star was done a few times only in '83, iirc.I know one was done at Merriweather in '83,,,,

Thanks for the info. Bob definitely kept things interesting. This and the rewriting of Black Throated are curious.

Outstanding set list. Agree on early Touch. And don't think I've heard a version better than the studio cut. Not many other Dead tracks that can be said regarding.

I think the early "Touch"'s being rushed was kind of an anomaly specific to that fall in '82 when it emerged. It slowed down quite a bit and quite quickly. Listen to, say, Lake Placid the following fall and the song has a really nice, mellow, almost "swing" rhythm to it.....

I must be the only one who likes the early versions of Touch better. I saw them do it at my first show, and it seemed right that way. I never liked the studio version, especially Brent's treacly keyboard part, which I felt ruined the song.

Yes...I've said this before...but 17 September 1982 comprises one of the best second sets ever...including a very fast paced Touch > Women...the Women includes an obviously "coked" out Weir screamfest...

I'll have to give that one a listen. Looks nice. Although Women is a Weir tune I typically skip. Not sure why they needed Women and Iko?

Fillmore West 06/06/1970

I was reading through that Archives page about the various jams and landed on the show above.

I don't think I've ever heard this before - Alligator? Sign me up!

For some odd reason SBDs from the 2nd half of '70 are a bit harder to find.

Hey fanatics: which shows or releases (Dick's Picks, etc.) do you consider absolute must-haves? Like, "If it disappeared from my hard drive and I couldn't ever find a replacement, I'd be devastated."

The reason I ask is because I recently had to completely replace my operating system, and am now tasked with going in and manually adding all my stuff back into iTunes. I just can't sort through all of it, especially since I have so many artists. I don't have the time to pull everything I can fit that's archived on my external hard drive.

With the Dead, I put in a few essential studio albums, Europe '72, and a few random shows like 3/1/69, 7/18/72, etc. Problem with adding back shows is that some require labeling songs, and so on, and it's just a bitch.

Whaddya think?

I don't think I've ever heard this before - Alligator? Sign me up!

For some odd reason SBDs from the 2nd half of '70 are a bit harder to find.

Isn't that due to Owsley being in prison - and no one running a tapedeck while he was gone?

Fillmore West 06/06/1970

I was reading through that Archives page about the various jams and landed on the show above.

Yeah, that's a doozy. The Jam contains teases of Bid You Goodnight, and Darkness, Darkness by the Younglboods. Right now I'm hearing a tease of a familiar lick that shows up in many Dark Stars. Probably lots of other stuff in there too, band is going off. Also, great early version of Attics, among many other heady nugs in this show. 

Isn't that due to Owsley being in prison - and no one running a tapedeck while he was gone?

Not sure. I think Bob Matthews (and Betty) was still running tape. Certainly from the beginning of '71 SBDs are easy to find. Owsley was still in the slam until early '72.

That's a good question.