• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its time for a new thread on the Dead.

Anyone get the new Dave's Picks? Vol 5?

How do you like the Playin > UJB > AM Dew > UJB > Playin ? Good stuff.

There is a nice second set opener of Playin > UJB > AM Dew > UJB > Playin from 11/10/73 Winterland.

Its worth seeking for.

There is a nice second set opener of Playin > UJB > AM Dew > UJB > Playin from 11/10/73 Winterland.

Its worth seeking for.

Isn't that 11/10/73 Winterland sequence in the Winterland '73 box they put out? I would check myself, but we just lost power in the storm. That box set is fantastic for those who may not have it.

Its worth seeking for.

I wasn't aware that it had been released yet. Better check it out - I was thinking that was gonna be next year.

Another excellent Steel Cut Oats collection and great write up from Hidden Track, this edition being Capitol Theater Portchester 1970

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/steel-cut-oats-10-back-to-the-cap-port-chester-70/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HiddenTrack+%28Hidden+Track%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

http://archive.org/details/gd1984-07-15.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.96152.sbeok.flac16

This Bird Song is intense! Surprisingly so as the second song in the first set, too, coming out of a fine Dancin' In The Streets.

That Steel Cut Oats comp from Port Chester was rad, thanks for posting the link. I generally have a "no Audience recording" policy because I just don't like the faraway sound, but these are some amazingly good AUD recordings, especially for the times. That venue must sound really sweet and good mic placement up there on the rail of the balcony. That Easy Wind is ripping good!

http://archive.org/d...52.sbeok.flac16

This Bird Song is intense! Surprisingly so as the second song in the first set, too, coming out of a fine Dancin' In The Streets.

'84 is admittedly a very spotty year, with a fair number of shows on autopilot from Garcia. But when he's feelin' it watch out! I think my favorite show I ever saw was 6/30/84 - Garcia is ON damn near the whole night, and the pre-drums is worthy of official release consideration.

That Steel Cut Oats comp from Port Chester was rad, thanks for posting the link. I generally have a "no Audience recording" policy because I just don't like the faraway sound, but these are some amazingly good AUD recordings, especially for the times. That venue must sound really sweet and good mic placement up there on the rail of the balcony. That Easy Wind is ripping good!

That Intro>NFA>Easy Wind opener just rips, right out of the box. Think Weir calls that the best NFA ever. And I always love a 1970 Dancin, and this one's a keeper.

That Intro>NFA>Easy Wind opener just rips, right out of the box. Think Weir calls that the best NFA ever. And I always love a 1970 Dancin, and this one's a keeper.

Yeah, you are right, I listened again and was impressed with the seamless transition from NFA>Easy Wind, just exactly perfect! Didn't know Weir had singled out this NFA as special, but I can believe it, its very very good. Think if they had played it at that level on intensity all the time, no one would've ever complained about Throwing Stone>NFA in the 80s and 90s!

And re: the '84, nothing like finding the gems of good nights in the spotty years, they seem all the more special for it, don't they? I will check out 6-30-84, thanks! 84 was a good year for Shakedown.

That's a great article. I am always curious about David, and it is nice to hear about Betty.

Indeed, that article is great.

Enjoyable read, thanks for the link.

I've been less than impressed with the choices of shows for release with Lemieux in charge.

Maybe this explains it.

"Lemieux... says that he doesn’t smoke pot: “I find that it clouds my judgment about the music.”

That article is dated November 26, 2012 (hasn't even approached yet).

Duh, they're into time travel, you know that. Kids these days....

I don't see how that is possible. They have put out something for just about everyone since he has been around.

Are you talking about my statement about not being all that pleased with Dave's picks? It shouldn't be that surprising, given everyone's different tastes and we are talking about picky Deadheads here. for example, the two 1983 shows Dick put out are nowhere near as good as many other shows from that year. Dave's Cornell 1980 release is just pretty mediocre to my ears. I just don't think they are putting out the very best shows in the vault. The cynic in me wonders if its not a business decision.

I was just joking about the weed. Dick didn't do that great a job of picking shows, either and he was stoned 24/7 it seems.

I just get tired of reading in the press releases how hot the playing is on each and every release and then being disappointed. I know people have different tastes and there is a whole host of reasons both technical and aesthetic why many great shows don't come out, but I look at what they put out compared to what I know exists in fine SBD quality on archive and I'm baffled by how weak many of the shows are that they put out.

Are you talking about my statement about not being all that pleased with Dave's picks? It shouldn't be that surprising, given everyone's different tastes and we are talking about picky Deadheads here. for example, the two 1983 shows Dick put out are nowhere near as good as many other shows from that year.

While I think the Scarlet-Fire Hartford '83 show is decent enough, the big news was the St. Stephen show the following night. One of my favorites to attend and have a great quality of the show but the decision to go with the previous night always baffled me.....

Both Dick and Dave at varying times, have said they have avoided putting out the shows that would be most popular or commonly expected in favor of lesser known stuff. I know Dick was a zealot for exposing people to stuff that he felt was killer but didn't get enough recognition. I think this philosophy, while it has some merit, sometimes blinded them to what are some of the best performances in Dead history. Or it could be they just like different stuff from me. Regardless, I don't really get too excited about what they release unless its something I already know is great, like when they finally put out 9-19 and 9-20-90.