Aerosmith breaking up

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

One, my contract doesn't allow them to do that. 

Two, my position isn't unionized, nor am I striking, so there's no scabs involved.

Let's not play semantic games.  I will give you the benefit of the doubt and believe/hope you know what I meant by scab.

So I'll ask a different way:

You don't think the clause is that bad.  Would you agree to that clause at a job you've been loyal to for decades, if your contract is ever renegotiated?

If I were being paid Aerosmith money and I'm 69 years old? Sure. 

At my current salary? No.

But - for Kramer and the band, what would more fair for all band members? Have it come off the top, before band shares are calculated? Why should the other band members have their shares reduced because the drummer couldn't make the gig?

I was under the impression he doesn’t show he doesn’t get paid so maybe that was my misunderstanding. However what’s a few thousand dollars between multi millionaires ‍♂

I would really love to see what they get paid for the Vegas gig. From the sounds of it - Steven Tyler made WAY more money at his American Idol stint than he ever did with Aerosmith. 

My only source is this Rolling Stone article:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/aerosmith-drummer-joey-kramer-lawsuit-grammys-940780/

In an attempt to “defuse the situation,” the suit says, Kramer eventually relented and let his replacement, John Douglas, play the rest of the Deuces Are Wild shows for 2019. (Kramer was responsible for paying Douglas; per the band’s contract, all members are entitled to their full share of live performance income even if they’re sidelined, although the replacement’s pay comes out of the absent member’s cut.)

If that's what he and his boss agreed to in his contract, then yes. 

It's sad that these guys, not just Aerosmith, all of these over the hill classic rockers, still need money. Either they blew it all, or they are fucking greedy as hell. "We'll pay you $$$$$$ for a Vegas residency". "Yes, we'll do it, no matter the personal cost or how pathetic we look. Pay me my money down!" Graceless motherfuckers.

are you really David Lee Roth?  :ike

But - for Kramer and the band, what would more fair for all band members? Have it come off the top, before band shares are calculated? Why should the other band members have their shares reduced because the drummer couldn't make the gig?

Hey, if he willingly signed that shitty deal then he's fucked and can pound sand.  But in my opinion, nobody's shares should be reduced in any scenario that has so far been presented.  Their shares should be determined and known by all, set in stone, and insured well before the tour even starts, so nobody's pay is reduced if one or more members misses a show or even the entire tour.  There should be a plan in place in the event replacement members have to be brought in, whether it be insurance, a contingency fund, or any other financial scheme they can dream up.  But saying "it comes out of your pay" flies in the face of the "band of brothers" image they try to portray.  

The payments for his replacement are not really in dispute by Kramer so I don't know why we are making a big deal out of that.

Can we talk about how Aerosmith is opening their residency shows with a Joe Perry Project cover instead?

There is some video out there of Joey trying to get in the rehearsal space - he is stopped by security. 

Must be something about drummers - this sort of thing went down with Bill Ward and Bun E. Carlos (although different circumstances).

The payments for his replacement are not really in dispute by Kramer so I don't know why we are making a big deal out of that.

Can we talk about how Aerosmith is opening their residency shows with a Joe Perry Project cover instead?

We can probably do both.

If they're dipping into Joe Perry's solo catalog, that seems like an admission they're sick of their own songs and they think their audience is, too.  Or that Joe Perry is throwing his weight around, which is sure to piss off Steve Tyler.

I see them imploding in the near future.

We can probably do both.

If they're dipping into Joe Perry's solo catalog, that seems like an admission they're sick of their own songs and they think their audience is, too.  Or that Joe Perry is throwing his weight around, which is sure to piss off Steve Tyler.

we all would have been better off had they pulled a Skynyrd in 1978 or so.

UGH, I just looked at the set lists from the last few months. 15 songs.  Thant's less than 90 mins.

I went to the first show on 4/6/2019 because I was in Las Vegas at the the time for work and because they were my first rock concert in 1986.  I also thought they couldn't hold it together long enough to get to a final state by state tour.  I enjoyed the show.  The theatrics and sound were great, but it was short at just over 90 minutes.  It seems Steven and Joe (at a minimum) have a great amount of animosity among each other.  I'm sure it's in the contact Joe gets to sign a song, after all why would they play a Fleetwood Mac song w/ Joe singing, Stop Messin Around when they have such a vast catalog.  

On my way to lunch today, I heard Lord of the Thigh's this morning on the radio --- good tune. Don't think I ever heard it before. It took me to a to the vocals, to realize it was Aerosmith. 

Looking into info on the tune - I found the below timely:

from wiki:

Drummer Joey Kramer has said it is his favorite song to perform live. Kramer and singer Steven Tyler have each said that he alone was the subject of the song's title.[1] The song has remained a live staple since its release.

I just hope I get to go on the Aerosmith rollercoaster later this year when I go to Disney World.   Stupid thing was out of service last time I was there. 

I had forgot all about that.  I rode it in the early 2000's.  We had a good time.  Enjoy.

did you see the total trainwreck that was his Vegas show, from two weeks ago? good god that was brutal. 

this?

It's awful, but it matches up pretty closely to what I would expect, including not wanting to see a 65 year old guy in leather pants. 

The best comment is "This sounds a lot better with the volume off."

Regarding that Roth video, if I knew I had less than a year to live, I would seriously consider rushing the stage and bludgeoning him. 

Regarding your apologies to Aerosmith enthusiasts, I don't want to meet one. I was into them in high school, but post Draw the Line (it had a few good tracks) and "Chip Away the Stone" (I thought it was a great version of a song they didn't write), why anyone would care, other than nostalgia for the old tunes, is beyond me. 

I couldn’t resist I posted this on a Aerosmith discussion lol

Geez Aerosmith needs to get a grip! It’s amazing what they’re doing to Kramer. I hope he will be f.i.n.e but the other side is not helping and saddening him with a monkey on his back. They’re between a rock and a hard place and are treating Kramer like a rag doll. If they get rid of Kramer they should take a permanent vacation. This quarrel must have him Living on the edge for sure! They decided to draw the line which is regrettable. I’m sure Kramer has been saying he don’t want to miss a thing! But they can dream on if they think it’s right to do this to Joey! I hope he gets back in the saddle soon! I just hope they don’t keep up with the same old song and dance in terms of excuses!