Wilco — 7 September 2016, San Francisco, CA (The Fillmore) [Night 2 of 5]

Well, what can I really say about this one? Apparently I keep track at home, go to a lot of shows, love Hummingbird and sing along, among other things... :ninja :ninja :ninja

My own "role" notwithstanding, and hopefully it was good for a chuckle or three, Night 2 at the Fillmore was a relatively loose affair. Once again built around songs from the soon-to-be released Wilco Schmilco, the set also featured a number of different older songs than Night 1. Surely the set will be deemed not different enough by some out there in the peanut gallery (or God forbid, not having enough "bust outs") but I thought it was once again a solid mix of past and present with perhaps the lone flaw being that the mood established was a bit too sombre — as our British friends say.

Then again, that was probably exactly what Jeff intended. He did check in with the audience pretty early on to see whether its members were having a good time despite the show being "really sad so far. It won't always be this sad, but most of it will." When someone subsequently yelled at Jeff to "cheer up," he replied in part, "Making you sad makes me happy. It's my life's work." :lol

Banter Corner was busy tonight, some of which I must leave to others to recap (or not...there's no real need). But in addition to Jeff's periodic audience check-ins, he did have a bit of fun with someone who yelled out "Stairway To Heaven" in reaction to the appearance of the gaudy, white double-necked guitar that Nels uses on Dawned On Me. "I give you a few points for not saying 'Freebird,'" Jeff said with a wry smile. "But you're still an asshole." :pirate

Overall, the show got progressively looser as it went along. There was the Spinal Tap-esque moment during The Late Greats when Nels raised his guitar over his head only to have its neck briefly get stuck in the wire skeleton supporting some of the painted canvas "faux-liage" in the new stage design. Fortunately Nels managed to untangle it and then shot Jeff one of his trademark "I dodged a bullet" looks. Jeff, meanwhile, shot the rest of the band a similar look during War On War when he nearly forgot to hit one of his vocal cues before recovering just in time.

And Glenn seemed to be feeling particularly mischievous behind his scaled-down drum set, waving a guitar-strumming Jeff over during Nope so that Jeff was playing almost in his face. Later, Glenn interrupted Jeff's exchange with an audience member who had yelled "I love you" — Jeff was busy telling the fellow how he didn't personally know him so he couldn't love him back but maybe if he got to know him a little better... — by impatiently starting to count off the next song with a few taps of his drumsticks. :innocent

Musically, I will point to the Locator>Laminated Cat combo as probably my favorite moment of the show. As we know, Jeff loves his segues and I would advocate for this one becoming a regular occurrence for a while because it just works really well IMHO. Another soon-to-be-classic two-fer, Cold Slope>King Of You, gave the set a welcome jolt of energy about halfway through, following a beautiful version of The Lonely 1. And I will personally never complain about a set that includes Pick Up The Change (complete with a nice banjitar solo by Pat).

So now we'll get a short break with the "off day" looming, even if Jeff didn't quite know what day it was — he said "See you Thursday" when it will actually be Friday when the SF residency resumes — and here's hoping for some more good times (and sad songs) ahead. As for me, I'll be using the day to try and regain some measure of anonymity... ;)

Here was the complete setlist, as played, for Night 2 at the Fillmore (there were no changes or omissions from the printed setlist):

Normal American Kids^
If I Ever Was A Child
Cry All Day
Wishful Thinking
Bull Black Nova (acoustic arrangement)
Far, Far Away
Someone To Lose
Cold Slope>
King Of You
The Lonely 1
Impossible Germany
Pick Up The Change
Nope
Hesitating Beauty
Cars Can't Escape
Locator>
Laminated Cat (aka Not For The Season)
Dawned On Me
We Aren't The World (Safety Girl)
Hummingbird
The Late Greats
---------------------------------
Spiders (Kidsmoke) (electric arrangement)
---------------------------------
New Madrid*
War On War*
Passenger Side*
Misunderstood*

^ — Jeff Tweedy and Nels Cline only
* — performed hootenanny style with band on (mostly) acoustic instruments

still missing some detail there .... :devil

You must be referring to the bit of banter I forgot to mention in the above recap when a woman in the audience asked Jeff what his T-shirt (which he was wearing underneath a jacket) said. Jeff pulled open the jacket to reveal his frequently worn (of late) Ghost shirt and quipped, "Don't check them out; they're terrible. ... You wouldn't like them." B)

Oh, and I also forgot to mention that the performance of Bull Black Nova (with a sort of hybrid acoustic arrangement — it was basically the electric arrangement but with Jeff on acoustic, as opposed to the way Jeff plays it solo acoustic) was very cool in the way they integrated the lighting and stage design. Ditto for Laminated Cat when the band was mostly in the dark backlit with the leaves and trees behind them, as if they were playing in a darkened forest or something.

Wow, great setlist last night. I've been to a handful of Wilco shows, and that had a great mix. Also, the sound at the Fillmore last night was just excellent, the best I've heard in that building in a while. If it was really balanced.

Jeff, and the rest of the band seems like in good spirits, also I don't know who BOB is, but I hear he goes to a lot of Wilco shows. ;) And it must be awesome when the crowd starts chanting your name!!!

That backlit effect was definitely one of my favorite folliage effect >>

https://postimg.org/image/5twdltavv/

bbop has given so much to this board and the VC community. It's time I help him out by filling in some of the details he may have omitted from last evening's recap. 

Before the third to last song of the main set Jeff introduced the song by stating that he had been incorrectly introducing the song as We Aren't the World and gave us the full title We Aren't The World (Safety Girl) "for those keeping score...Paul!" He then went on to say that Paul went to a lot of shows and that the band grew concerned if he wasn't in the audience. Jeff started recounting supposed band conversation that went along the lines of "I don't know, maybe we should hang up some trees and paint a bunch of fucking leaves so he'll come back." He had the audience all say hi to Paul, which we did enthusiastically. Later in the hootenanny portion of the show after the first song, Jeff reminded us that we should all sing along if we were so inclined unless we wanted to stay quiet and just have Paul sing along. The audience then shouted Paul's name in unison at which point Jeff let Paul know that he wasn't being booed, but that people were shouting his name. While Jeff was clearly taking the piss out of Paul -- as our British friends say -- it was all done with the greatest affection and appreciation. No recappers were harmed in the making of this show.  

What do you think bbop? Was that helpful? Did I leave anything out? Will you be pushing me in front of the 38 Geary on Friday?

What do you think bbop? Was that helpful? Did I leave anything out? Will you be pushing me in front of the 38 Geary on Friday?

I prefer BOB. :wave

(Thanks for the kind words, Sandy! I guess eventually someone was gonna spill the beans, so I'm glad it was you. ;) )

bbop has given so much to this board and the VC community. It's time I help him out by filling in some of the details he may have omitted from last evening's recap. 

Before the third to last song of the main set Jeff introduced the song by stating that he had been incorrectly introducing the song as We Aren't the World and gave us the full title We Aren't The World (Safety Girl) "for those keeping score...Paul!" He then went on to say that Paul went to a lot of shows and that the band grew concerned if he wasn't in the audience. Jeff started recounting supposed band conversation that went along the lines of "I don't know, maybe we should hang up some trees and paint a bunch of fucking leaves so he'll come back." He had the audience all say hi to Paul, which we did enthusiastically. Later in the hootenanny portion of the show after the first song, Jeff reminded us that we should all sing along if we were so inclined unless we wanted to stay quiet and just have Paul sing along. The audience then shouted Paul's name in unison at which point Jeff let Paul know that he wasn't being booed, but that people were shouting his name. While Jeff was clearly taking the piss out of Paul -- as our British friends say -- it was all done with the greatest affection and appreciation. No recappers were harmed in the making of this show.  

Paul is my favorite member of the Wilcos. 

Thanks, Sandy! Loved it. What a great addition to what's already been a great Wilco week! That's one of my favorite things ever posted here. Both my wife and I were rolling. (She was concerned, too, when we didn't see Paul at our last Wilco show.)

Paul, next time time I'm getting your autograph.

Hey all, if anyone here is going to any of the next 3 shows, would someone be willing to buy me one of the $50 5-Night Residency Wilco posters? I can PayPal/Venmo you the $50 beforehand, and pick it up before or after the end of the show outside the venue. :worship

I tried to buy one last time after the end of the show and it sold out. Apparently, they only release 50 residency posters total per night, so you have to buy them before the show instead of at the end. (The merchandise booth provides a plastic slip cover bag and rubber bands so you can just set it on the ground.) I called The Fillmore to see if I could enter just to buy a poster and then leave, or give a Fillmore staff member money to buy it for me while I wait outside, and they said no. If not, I guess I'll see you all at the Sound Summit on Mt Tam!  :thumbup 

I'm showing tonight and can try and snag one. Reach out at my handle name at gmail.

Hey all, if anyone here is going to any of the next 3 shows, would someone be willing to buy me one of the $50 5-Night Residency Wilco posters? I can PayPal/Venmo you the $50 beforehand, and pick it up before or after the end of the show outside the venue. :worship

I tried to buy one last time after the end of the show and it sold out. Apparently, they only release 50 residency posters total per night, so you have to buy them before the show instead of at the end. (The merchandise booth provides a plastic slip cover bag and rubber bands so you can just set it on the ground.) I called The Fillmore to see if I could enter just to buy a poster and then leave, or give a Fillmore staff member money to buy it for me while I wait outside, and they said no. If not, I guess I'll see you all at the Sound Summit on Mt Tam!  :thumbup