• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This book has been blowing my mind. Humboldt's life brings you on a journey that collides with Goethe, the Enlightenment, colonial South America, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, Thomas Jefferson, the birth of environmentalism, Darwin and I'm not even done yet. Best non-fiction I've read in some time.

51ukjAV259L.jpg

This book has been blowing my mind. Humboldt's life brings you on a journey that collides with Goethe, the Enlightenment, colonial South America, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, Thomas Jefferson, the birth of environmentalism, Darwin and I'm not even done yet. Best non-fiction I've read in some time.

51ukjAV259L.jpg

This sounds like exactly the sort of biography I love!

I've been reading Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch."

I really enjoyed this book. Kind of epic in scope. The movie got horrible reviews. They may have bitten off more than they could chew. It may have been more effective as a miniseries.

Yes! That book covers so much ground that I can't see a single movie managing to encompass the entire story. Great book!

• 4 months later...

Just finished Liz Phair's book, "Horror Stories."  If you're a fan (and I am a huge fan of her first three albums), I recommend not reading this book.  It may change your opinion of Liz as a person -- and not for the better.

Just finished Liz Phair's book, "Horror Stories."  If you're a fan (and I am a huge fan of her first three albums), I recommend not reading this book.  It may change your opinion of Liz as a person -- and not for the better.

Interesting.  I've read some sections while browsing in the bookstore and it didn't want to make me buy it.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very well-researched. I have become so pessimistic regarding race the last 3-5 years. This book doesn't give me much hope except that scholarship like this can work its way further into our K-12 history curriculum. I am a history major and middle school social studies teacher for the last 27 years and there is still so much for me to learn. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25898216-stamped-from-the-beginning