Happy Exhaustion...Stories from Solid Sound Six!

This thread is just an excuse to hear all your stories, however random, connected to attending Solid Sound 2019! Tell us all about it!

I had an amazing time and I'm still processing all of it. I was lucky enough to start the weekend off early on Wednesday at Tourists...just that single night, before moving to a glorious house in Adams for the rest of the weekend. And you know what? Tourists is a blazing success in every way. Just every detail done right. The suspension bridge is gorgeous, with postcard-worthy views in every direction. The pathways behind Tourists are a part of the Appalachian Trail and it has been very satisfying to tell people that I've hiked the Appalachian Trail. You get, like, mad respect with that one! We followed our hike with the best burger I've ever eaten in the cocoon of the cozy lobby as a downpour right up there with Sunday's turned the large picture windows into sheets of water and flashes of lightning. We decided not to use the saltwater pool just then, after all, but managed to squeeze in a sun-sparkled swim in the morning, under perfect blue skies.

And that was just the first day. Every day after had as much to recommend it! 

Share some slices of your visits!

PH6A2774_zpstysgbnyp.jpg

Just a fantastic weekend. A few short things:

Friday was unforgettable. All of the Wilco Karaoke winners were wonderful people and we were very supportive of one another. The band seemed to be enjoying themselves and were thanking us. We were saying, "No, no, no, thank you!" I cannot thank Wilco and the Wilco crew enough.

On Saturday, I was walking out of the museum when I get tapped on my shoulder. It was Glenn, who told me I had killed it the night before and how much fun it was. Then he told me he'd see me around Chicago. I also met Daveed Diggs, the original Broadway LaFayette/Jefferson in Hamilton.

To be told that I am a part of the Wilco family now is something 12 year old me back in 2000 would not believe.

Tourists Welcome..  Best ever.  Fully operational for a year and still looking brand new. In fact not all features may not have been online at the Opening?  Tourists is absolutely 100%  gorgeous. And all the the land features including vast acreage of hiking trails and highlighted with a state of the art pedestrian suspension bridge highlight the initial hike.  We booked at the regular Wednesday before the the festival pricing so that saved $.  We opted to check out this landscape a day early, it was otherwise sold-out.  Loved it!

Outside of Wilco concerts, I've only ever met a very small handful of people who even know who Wilco is. As soon as we parked outside our AirBnb and got our bags, an older woman across the street asked "Oh are you here for Wilco?". You know you're in a special place when a random person sitting on a porch in the evening with her dog is asking you about Wilco. 

When we were exploring MassMoCA on Friday afternoon a Solid Sound volunteer stopped us and asked us if we wanted to experience something that I think she described as "an immersive experience". I was about to say "uh, no thanks" but she said "trust me, you want to do this". You can pretty much convince me to do anything if you say "trust me, you want to do this". We were lead into a waiting room, not really still understanding exactly what was going on. We put little booties over our shoes. A woman told us to watch out for a 6 foot drop... uhhh, ok. And then we went into this all white room, with the waiting room still visible behind us. The room started changing colours, though interestingly the colours from our room reflected in the waiting room were different. Every few minutes the colours changed and twice there was strobe lights which were very real. It was surreal!

Anyways, I posted about this on Facebook but everyone I met at SSF was really nice. I met our admin kidsmoke, I met Magnitized, and dagwave. Probably some others of you without even realizing it!

Originally I was thinking this might be our only Solid Sound since it's a bit of an ordeal (and expensive) to get from Winnipeg to North Adams but now I have to go back.

There are two dining options. There's the Airport Rooms building and the great room attracted to the main lobby. Two different menus.  We opted for the great room that serviced by the outdoor deck kitchen. The cheeseburgers were top shelf delicious. Being that Wilco had the night off, it was really cool that John took the time to stop by our table and ask everything was good. It was really cool of him to take the time..

Outside of Wilco concerts, I've only ever met a very small handful of people who even know who Wilco is. As soon as we parked outside our AirBnb and got our bags, an older woman across the street asked "Oh are you here for Wilco?". You know you're in a special place when a random person sitting on a porch in the evening with her dog is asking you about Wilco. 

When we were exploring MassMoCA on Friday afternoon a Solid Sound volunteer stopped us and asked us if we wanted to experience something that I think she described as "an immersive experience". I was about to say "uh, no thanks" but she said "trust me, you want to do this". You can pretty much convince me to do anything if you say "trust me, you want to do this". We were lead into a waiting room, not really still understanding exactly what was going on. We put little booties over our shoes. A woman told us to watch out for a 6 foot drop... uhhh, ok. And then we went into this all white room, with the waiting room still visible behind us. The room started changing colours, though interestingly the colours from our room reflected in the waiting room were different. Every few minutes the colours changed and twice there was strobe lights which were very real. It was surreal!

Anyways, I posted about this on Facebook but everyone I met at SSF was really nice. I met our admin kidsmoke, I met Magnitized, and dagwave. Probably some others of you without even realizing it!

Originally I was thinking this might be our only Solid Sound since it's a bit of an ordeal (and expensive) to get from Winnipeg to North Adams but now I have to go back.

Realizing that you have to go back is the first step. See ya next time, Kevin!

As long as I chimed in here: I want to give two shouts out.

Tim Bugbee.  Really nice to meet you as you passed thru Courtyard C post lunch with your son.

John Losaviao.. A long overdue thank you for being so cordial at the Fillmore. Your group made room for Sue Osbourne and myself  in your upper level cubby. It had been a long, beautiful walk from Hardly Strictly Bluesgrass / Golden Gate Park.  Haha, Jeff read the riot act to a Trumpster that night. ..  Joe Campbell

Just a fantastic weekend. A few short things:

Friday was unforgettable. All of the Wilco Karaoke winners were wonderful people and we were very supportive of one another. The band seemed to be enjoying themselves and were thanking us. We were saying, "No, no, no, thank you!" I cannot thank Wilco and the Wilco crew enough.

On Saturday, I was walking out of the museum when I get tapped on my shoulder. It was Glenn, who told me I had killed it the night before and how much fun it was. Then he told me he'd see me around Chicago. I also met Daveed Diggs, the original Broadway LaFayette/Jefferson in Hamilton.

To be told that I am a part of the Wilco family now is something 12 year old me back in 2000 would not believe.

Awesome photo and story!   Congrats. 

It was my first, but it won't be my last. I don't know what I was expecting, but I think I had sensory load (in a good way). I spent most of the time awestruck, especially after meeting Courtney Barnett and Pat Sansone and being on the rail for the Minus 5. The house, the people in the house, the music, the food, and the scenery were all incredible. My only regrets are not having more time to explore Mass MoCA and the Berkshires and not getting to know my housemates better and see old friends from prior shared Wilco experiences. I'm ready for 2021!

Was a wonderful experience except for one thing, staying in MCLA dorms. I expected basic accomodation, but not that basic. Anybody else stay there? Am thinking of sending a complaint. For what it cost, it was basically a rip off. Ok at $50-60 a night, but not more than double that.

Reflecting back on the week (we were in the Berkshires from Wednesday-Sunday), it was all I had hoped for. Thirteen of us rented a house in Pittsfield, some 35 minutes away from North Adams. Four more in our group stayed elsewhere, but joined us on the field for Friday and Saturday night. A lovely group.

The rains came Wednesday, which interrupted the North Adams Steeplecats baseball game we were watching. Better that than, say Saturday night's Wilco set. We got our fill of summer collegiate baseball on Thursday night anyway, at a Pittsfield Suns game. Hot dogs and burgers at Jack's for Friday lunch, where we took up every seat at the counter for 20 minutes (sorry, other patrons).

I turned from Karaoke skeptic to convert on Friday night, as did most of our party. Best decision we made Saturday was to watch The Minus 5 from the comfort of the shade off to the side - a good 15 degrees cooler than the sunny section of Courtyard D. Stayed up until 3:15 AM on Saturday night, back at the house, yet did not feel any effects on Sunday (ok, I was a little tired). Sunday's Autumn Defense show was a treat, and I was intrigued by Wand earlier in the day. I got to hear the new track on Sunday in the surround-sound room, as well as a remix of Art of Almost, which was pretty cool. It was also a great way to wait out the rain.

All of our group is ready to re-up in 2021. Onward!