Rock Hall class of 2020

The following should all get in.

Kraftwerk 
MC5 
Motörhead 
Todd Rundgren 
T.Rex 

I don't see why Whitney Houston would get in ever, but she'll get in this year.  100%.

Dave Matthews shouldn't get in yet, but will eventually.  I agree Phish should get in first, but this is still basically Rolling Stone Magazine presents the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame more than it is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

..by the way how the f is Dave Matthews nominated and not Phish... I’m mean really?!

IMHO Dave is an infinitely better songwriter. I've seen both bands live and I have to say that even the worst of the DMB shows I've seen was better than the Phish show I saw last summer... and I say this as a person who generally prefers Phish. Phish will likely get a nom -- their impact on music festivals and their touring record can't be overstated.  

IMHO Dave is an infinitely better songwriter. I've seen both bands live and I have to say that even the worst of the DMB shows I've seen was better than the Phish show I saw last summer... and I say this as a person who generally prefers Phish. Phish will likely get a nom -- their impact on music festivals and their touring record can't be overstated.

I used to like Dave Matthews but became bored with them in 1998 it was the same thing over and over and his live shows to me were a turnoff. I’m not saying they’re not deserving but phish impact on live music blows dmb away. Only thing dmb has on phish was a hit album and a few singles. I have seen about 25 phish shows and I have seen one or two clunker shows over 23 years but they’re very consistent otherwise.

Kraftwerk's continuing omission is a grave sin against music.

Yes for sure

The following should all get in.

Kraftwerk

MC5

Motörhead

Todd Rundgren

T.Rex

I don't see why Whitney Houston would get in ever, but she'll get in this year. 100%.

Dave Matthews shouldn't get in yet, but will eventually. I agree Phish should get in first, but this is still basically Rolling Stone Magazine presents the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame more than it is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Yes also.. agree with almost everything you said but I think Soundgarden will get in too

Yes also.. agree with almost everything you said but I think Soundgarden will get in too

I think I intended to put them on my list, but cut them off somehow.   They should be in, for sure.   

I would assume that the amount of money generated by any music act would be a substantial factor into getting into the R&RHOF. 

I just don't see a connection between what she does and what rock and roll is, even in the widest definition.   

EDIT:  To be fair to her, I have not listened to all of her music. Maybe she's done some rock music I'm unaware of.

I just don't see a connection between what she does and what rock and roll is, even in the widest definition.   

EDIT:  To be fair to her, I have not listened to all of her music. Maybe she's done some rock music I'm unaware of.

She's a pop star. 

Billie Holiday is in. Brenda Lee is in. Donna Summer is in. Dusty Springfield is in. Etta James, Aretha Franklin, Janet Jackson, Nina Simone...

I would think that all of those performers have set enough of a precedent of the types of musical acts that get in that Whitney Houston wouldn't seem unusual. 

Recently heard the president of the RRHOF discuss the nomination process.  Given that they only induct a maximum 5 artists per year, there will always be a huge list of artists who "deserve" to be in there, especially when you consider how wide of a net they cast to define "rock & roll".  It was obvious that a huge part of their marketing/advertising plan for the museum is to have debates like this arise every time the nominee list goes out.

She's a pop star. 

Billie Holiday is in. Brenda Lee is in. Donna Summer is in. Dusty Springfield is in. Etta James, Aretha Franklin, Janet Jackson, Nina Simone...

I would think that all of those performers have set enough of a precedent of the types of musical acts that get in that Whitney Houston wouldn't seem unusual. 

I don't remember what Brenda Lee or Janet Jackson's music is like, but I could draw a straight line from most of those artists to something important that happened in rock and roll. 

Billy Holiday and Nina Simone:  protest and civil rights music

Donna Summer:  disco/electronic music is still a major element of rock and roll

Aretha and Etta James:  R&B, gospel, and doo-wop are some of styles rock descends from

Dusty Springfield is maybe the closest parallel to Whitney out of that bunch.  I like some of their music (Wishin' and Hopin' and Son of a Preacher Man are among my favorite music performances in any genre), but I don't know what connects any of it to rock and roll.  

Beyond finding reasons to belittle it, I don't understand why anyone that counts music as an integral part of their life has any interest in the rock and roll hall of fame. It is incredibly subjective and has no rhyme or reason to membership. I don't think there is an objective way to determine membership. Statistics are a worthwhile metric in sports, but not in art. The RRHOF exists to make money. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't expect it to make any sense nomination/membership-wise.

There are multiple examples of why The RRHOF is laughable, but one is Josh Klinghoffer. 

If I had a ballot, I would vote for T.Rex and Thin Lizzy.  DMB is on my rock & roll Axis of Evil (with Mumford and all his sons and Kings of Leon -- though Youth and Young Manhood is excellent).

You know what would be the coolest? If Kim Thayil inducted MC5 and then Wayne did the same for Soundgarden. 

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised they had the sense to induct T. Rex.  I figured they'd snub them, since Bolan and most of the key band members are dead and they won't be able to sell them tickets to the event.