Jeff Announces Starship Casual

4 hours ago, jff said:

If I were Jeff, and I noticed that Wilco fans are running out to Ikea in droves and buying the same curtains he has in his house, I would smell dollar signs.  If it’s crass for Jeff to cash in (and I’m not saying it is), maybe it’s because the fans are a little too eager to buy anything that has the slightest whiff of Wilco or Tweedy.

The curtain design is discontinued.

39 minutes ago, Magnetized said:

The curtain design is discontinued.

Lots of people bought it before it was discontinued and made masks out of it.  There are pictures all over the FB page of this.

Nothing wrong with that.  It’s a cute way to show fandom. But it demonstrates to Jeff that people will pay him for just about anything. So if some feel this latest venture is a cash in, or isn’t worth the money, don’t blame Jeff.  He’s just following the lead of his fans.

3 minutes ago, jff said:

Lots of people bought it before it was discontinued and made masks out of it.  There are pictures all over the FB page of this.

Nothing wrong with that.  It’s a cute way to show fandom. But it demonstrates to Jeff that people will pay him for just about anything. So if some feel this latest venture is a cash in, or isn’t worth the money, don’t blame Jeff.  He’s just following the lead of his fans.

Not trying to argue about your basic premise here, but the facts are wrong. The masks were made by a fan who lives in the LA area. He copied the design of the curtains and made the masks available for sale through the Tweedys, with all proceeds going to a Chicago-based charity. 

Jesus...why are so many people opposed to a band or musician trying to sell stuff, but especially about them putting a price on their music? The Wilco online store has everything from bobblehead toys to pencils, socks and even wine bottle cozies. The merch tables at shows are full of stuff for sale. It's what musicians do to try to make money these days, seeing as physical music sales are really down, Spotify pays virtually nothing, touring has been off limits for almost 2 years (and probably will be again soon), and to paraphrase someone here, people expect music online to be free (?!). Everyone is welcome to do whatever they want with their money, but if you like a band or singer, at the very least you shouldn't be opposed to paying for the music. It's what everyone had to do when the only way to release music was via major labels on vinyl or CD. I also get that most people would like to have a physical copy of the music. I prefer CDs to other formats myself (I own a more or less permanent durable copy of the music which I can play at home on many devices, but I can also easily transfer the tracks onto portable devices for listening in the car or while doing things outside or at the gym). But like it or not, selling music digitally is a legitimate thing now (has been for quite a while at this point) and a way for musicians to release work and make money when they can't necessarily afford to have records or CDs pressed. Personally, I'm all about the music. I have plenty of T-shirts and other bits of merch and memorabilia from bands I like, but I really want the songs. If they're available on CD, perfect; vinyl, okay; digital, fine by me--whatever it takes for me to be able to get a copy of the song, and I have no problem paying. If every band I'm into started $50-60 yearly subscription services where I would receive 7 or 8 rarities/demos/previously unheard tracks from each of them a month, I'd consider that a good thing! As I'm not going out to restaurants or concerts or movie theaters these days, I can afford to spend a little more on music right now--and that would be so much new music! Again, that's just my situation. I know it's different for everyone. 

I'm sorry if it reads like I'm ranting, but I work in a field that has also seen sales/income decline due to rising physical production costs and digital piracy, and self-employed creators trying to come up with new ways to make money when the old ways aren't cutting it (and then being criticized for trying to make money) is something that hits very close to home for me. 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Magnetized said:

Not trying to argue about your basic premise here, but the facts are wrong. The masks were made by a fan who lives in the LA area. He copied the design of the curtains and made the masks available for sale through the Tweedys, with all proceeds going to a Chicago-based charity. 

Thanks for the clarification.  My premise remains unchanged: Wilco fans want to spend more money on Wilco related items.  There’s nothing wrong with that,  Jeff is smart to offer more stuff to fulfill that desire. There’s also nothing wrong with that.

Money matters.  Everyone needs it, and more is usually better than less. It’d be stupid to let it slip through your fingers.

• Like 1

I love three of the demo (or 1st draft, as he labels them) songs quite a bit: In A Sad Kinda Way, Ambulance (both heard live on the Tweedy Show) and especially Stray Cats In Spain. Pittsburgh, a more finished track with Jeff and Spencer, is also very good and the solo acoustic version of Pieholden Suite sounds like an outtake from Together At Last--enjoyed both of those, too. As a huge Teenage Fanclub fan, the cover of Everything Flows posted today was also pretty darn cool! All in all, I'm into this material because it's great to hear new material by an artist I like and I love raw demos and home recordings for their directness and urgency. Listening to all the songs in one sitting reminds me of the Guided By Voices Suitcase box sets or even Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand by GBV as far as sound quality and intimacy goes: a bit lofi, but fascinating and diverse. Hope that all of that makes sense.

• Like 2

^ Makes total sense and sounds awesome.

I might be a cheapskate, but I imagine waiting for a few more gems, joining for a month and grabbing as many tunes as possible and then sitting out again for a bit. I'm down to pay the dude for his awesome stuff, but I don't spend $60 a year on downloads. That's a chunk of my vinyl budget, and I hope to buy some new Wilco vinyl in early 2022 with some luck.

Slightly disappointed to find out that there's an editor involved with the writings. Maybe to be expected but would have liked to think they were 'straight from the horse's mouth'. JT doesn't use an editor for his songwriting so why not let us see the real raw work there too? 

5 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Slightly disappointed to find out that there's an editor involved with the writings. Maybe to be expected but would have liked to think they were 'straight from the horse's mouth'. JT doesn't use an editor for his songwriting so why not let us see the real raw work there too? 

Huh, weird. Where'd you catch that?

5 hours ago, lost highway said:

Huh, weird. Where'd you catch that?

https://thenewsstation.com/with-new-newsletter-jeff-tweedy-has-discovered-an-ideal-way-of-connecting-with-fans/?fbclid=IwAR2GuM97d7vtvjXnsoZHE_dt5VJ2-yX146rQQ7djZBcvXlxefCBZDfvW14M

I'd imagine it's still JT's words but it's probably helpful to have someone proof read it, make sure it all makes sense, spelled correctly, everything in it is accurate, etc. A second set of eyes is helpful especially when there's the pressure of paying clients!

• Like 2
On 9/10/2021 at 1:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

The editor in question is Jeff’s book editor, who clearly knows him well and is simpatico with his sensibilities and way of expressing himself. Jeff always has complex, original thoughts in interviews, etc., but he doesn’t always express them in the moment in a sound bite-ready way. A skilled editor can help a writer’s complex thoughts come across more clearly and concisely, while still retaining the unique “voice” of the writer.  

14 hours ago, Magnetized said:

The editor in question is Jeff’s book editor, who clearly knows him well and is simpatico with his sensibilities and way of expressing himself. Jeff always has complex, original thoughts in interviews, etc., but he doesn’t always express them in the moment in a sound bite-ready way. A skilled editor can help a writer’s complex thoughts come across more clearly and concisely, while still retaining the unique “voice” of the writer.  

Генеральная линия партии

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Passenger Sid said:

I only get the freebie stuff. Anyone hear Jeff's new acoustic version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now"?

Such a GREAT song. This fairly recent performance by Judy Collins is a stunner.

I was awestruck by Jeff's cover of this!

• 8 months later...

Today I received my official Jeff Tweedy Starship Casual Captain's Club membership card. I'm pretty sure that waving this at any doorman at any exclusive club anywhere in the civilized world will get you immediate red carpet entry. No need ever again to make silly reservations at 4 Michelin starred snooty restaurants! Just wave the card. Free upgrades to first class when you fly, too, if I'm to believe the things my imagination comes up with!

Thanks Jeffy! I feel loved. I plan to show my card in all sorts of ridiculous situations where it may be helpful, like trying to get out of a speeding ticket..."Here's my license and registration, officer, and you might want to take a look at this card too."

20230130_210033.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2