Good news for U2 fans..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

One of my fav bands. I would agree with War -> Unforgettable Fire -> Joshua Tree as their best run, but I wouldn't say they have a bad album. I also thought HTDAAB was better than AYCLB; the production might have been too clean and the lyrics a big buffonish at times, but I thought the songs themselves were consistantly well written. And the ensuing tour gave me some memories I'll never forget.

Well, even Larry says Pop was rushed and unfinished or some such thing. I see what your saying though. Maybe it's just one of those deals - like REM - when a band moves away from the sound/lyrics you love, some people get upset. I am one of those people most likely.

Right. They said that up and down for years--that the mixes were rushed. Then they redid them for the 1990-2000 Greatest Hits B-side and the remixes were just terrible. So I kind of think they're full of crap on that.

I agree w/ Jorge, that the remixes of those songs did nothing but water them down...I thought POP was some of their most adventerous music from an instrumental POV, definitely some of Edge's best guitar work.

Also agree w/ Sir S, that Rattle & Hum has aged VERY well.

i have to disagree with you 50% there. i liked all that you can't leave behind, but i do think that how to dismantle is trash.

All That You Can't Leave Behind could have been a killer EP by just taking the first 6 songs off the album. The second half of that album is absolute garbage. And as soon as I heard "Vertigo," I knew I would never have a reason to listen to this band again.

That said, I am completely hit-and-miss with U2. My intros to the band were Joshua, Achtung, and All That You Can't Leave Behind. I do not like any of those 3 albums all the way through; I find myself skipping tracks frequently. Therefore, I've never felt a desire to check out the rest of their catalogue.

This news about them working with great producers and such does not excite me. As I've said before: "you can dress up shit any way you like, but it's still shit." If the songs aren't there, it doesn't matter what the producer does.

• 7 months later...
U2's 3D Concert Film Debuts At Sundance

January 21, 2008, 8:40 AM ET

After a career playing to sold-out stadiums, U2 did what their fans have done for years -- stood in line to see U2 perform. That concert was "U2 3D," a film of the band's 2005-06 Vertigo tour, shot at several shows in South America with new 3-D technology.

"I was really hoping we weren't crap after all these years. Luckily we weren't," guitarist The Edge told The Associated Press before the band donned plastic glasses to watch the movie's premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on Saturday night.

The Edge, joined by singer Bono, drummer Larry Mullen and bassist Adam Clayton, joked about the absurdity of seeing themselves perform after playing together for more than 30 years.

"It's kind of horrific," to see himself on stage in 3-D, said Bono. "It's bad enough on a small screen. Now you get to see the lard arse 40-foot tall."

The Edge said the 3-D technology allowed "the songs to shine through," though he was surprised to see the chemistry of the band in the details on screen, and how far apart his bandmates were on stage.

"Are you saying you felt lonely up there?" said Bono, smiling. "No, I felt lonely for Larry," The Edge replied. "He likes being on his own," said Bono. "Didn't you bring him back a bottle of water?"

Bono said he loved playing to the enthusiastic audiences of Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Rio de Janeiro.

"Irish people are essentially Latin people who don't know how to dance," he said. "When people are screaming and roaring and shouting, the humbling thing is to realize it's not really for the band or artist on the stage. It's for their connection with the songs. A song just can own you ... . I think that's why concerts are so powerful. If that song is such a part of your life, and you hear it, it's too much almost."

Bono also expressed hope that the film would allow more people to experience their music, especially teenagers and college students who might not be able to afford the pricey tickets to their sold-out shows.

The band is working with longtime producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno on a new album that will merge Lanois' respect for traditional music and Eno's futuristic sound.

"Music like the band had formed on Venus, and somewhere between that is our next album," Bono said. "Where they join, where something feels always existing but you never heard it before, that seems to be what the two of them bring out in us."

It's become my favorite in just the past few years - for a long time I thought it was over-inflated wannabe stuff. It's aged remarkably well.

i watched it on vh1 classic last week for the first time since i saw it in the theater. amazed at how enjoyable it was.

Bad remains my favorite U2 song.

and the u2 3D is playing at the local imax :dancing

There's a theater capable of showing U2 3D about an hour away from me in Syracuse, and I'm really disappointed that so far they're not scheduled to show it. I've been looking forward to seeing it since the time it was recorded. There was such a magic and an energy to those South American shows, probably in part because U2 had skipped South America on the Elevation Tour and in part just because of how well the band was playing together by that point in the tour. I've got probably at least half of the recordings from the tour, and there aren't many that can match the energy of those shows. I really wish they would've waited until later in the tour to record a show for DVD release, because I don't think the Chicago DVD really represents as good as the tour got. Hopefully if the movie does well in the first few weeks it will be released more widely.

I'm planning on see that U2 3D film next weekend. It's playing at the Indiana State Museum IMAX. I drove by on Friday and they have a huge (2 story +) banner advertising the film. What's the likelihood I can get that in my car.................

I didn't get to see any of the dates on the Vertigo tour so I'm really looking forward to this!

I saw this movie last night - it was massive in every sense. The 3D aspect was surreal - the 'Vertigo' opener made me think (not that I could actually formulate a thought at the time) that this is what entertainment will be like in the future. Bono reaching his stubby fingers into my face almost made up for my never having seen the band live in concert (every tour for 20 years now I've said 'this is the one!' but - oh well, not yet). The sound was light years beyond any concert/club/home stereo experience I've ever had. Loud, thudding, piercing, overwhelming, but without a even a hint of ringing in my ears afterward. It was perfect sound. And once the 3D gimmick wore off to become normal, the passion of the music and the crowd took over. The only thing I wanted more of was crowd shots - this IMAX/3Dtechnology is for watching people, not whales! - I truly almost felt like I was there. Can't recommend this enough, if you get a chance.

I saw this movie last night - it was massive in every sense. The 3D aspect was surreal - the 'Vertigo' opener made me think (not that I could actually formulate a thought at the time) that this is what entertainment will be like in the future. Bono reaching his stubby fingers into my face almost made up for my never having seen the band live in concert (every tour for 20 years now I've said 'this is the one!' but - oh well, not yet). The sound was light years beyond any concert/club/home stereo experience I've ever had. Loud, thudding, piercing, overwhelming, but without a even a hint of ringing in my ears afterward. It was perfect sound. And once the 3D gimmick wore off to become normal, the passion of the music and the crowd took over. The only thing I wanted more of was crowd shots - this IMAX/3Dtechnology is for watching people, not whales! - I truly almost felt like I was there. Can't recommend this enough, if you get a chance.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.