I'll take War/The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree

Yep. Unforgettable Fire is my favorite.

#22 Analogman

Analogman

All the Way Back in the Seventies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:21 PM

Mine too - I wish they had just put out Pride as a single and left it off the album though. It messes up the flow.

#23 mountain bed

mountain bed

On & On & On

• 14,301 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Not sure, but I think Joshua Tree might have been the last vinyl record I bought (for new releases, I mean). I never bought anything on CD from them.

Kind of off-topic here, but one of my favorite 'funny' Phish moments is on their first record (Junta). During Icculus Trey is talking, setting up the story :stunned , and he sez, "This is.. this is...THIS IS RED ROCKS!!! THIS IS THE EDGE!!!" That always cracks me up.

#24 sureshot

sureshot

I Miss the Innocence

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

I do like War very much. "Seconds" is great...another one they never play live :angry

#25 Analogman

Analogman

• 46,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

Under A Blood Red Sky was the first one I ever got - back in the day. It's a trip to watch that concert and then watch Rattle and Hum.

I like Seconds and also, Drowning Man.

Two Hearts Beat As One - probably the first U2 song I ever heard.

#26 Atticus

Atticus

On & On & On

• 16,426 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

like a song

:thumbup

#27 airtaco

airtaco

Red Eyed & Blue

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

One of my fav bands. I would agree with War -> Unforgettable Fire -> Joshua Tree as their best run, but I wouldn't say they have a bad album. I also thought HTDAAB was better than AYCLB; the production might have been too clean and the lyrics a big buffonish at times, but I thought the songs themselves were consistantly well written. And the ensuing tour gave me some memories I'll never forget.

#28 Duck-Billed Catechist

Duck-Billed Catechist

The Belle of the Fooking Bunny Ears

• 15,167 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

Well, even Larry says Pop was rushed and unfinished or some such thing. I see what your saying though. Maybe it's just one of those deals - like REM - when a band moves away from the sound/lyrics you love, some people get upset. I am one of those people most likely.

Right. They said that up and down for years--that the mixes were rushed. Then they redid them for the 1990-2000 Greatest Hits B-side and the remixes were just terrible. So I kind of think they're full of crap on that.

#29 Analogman

Analogman

• 46,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

I don't think I knew about that.

#30 Duck-Billed Catechist

Duck-Billed Catechist

• 15,167 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:45 PM

Well, I am not sure if it was officially "This is what they would've been like if we had enough time," but there were several remixes of songs from Pop on that album. And they were lousy.

#31 Analogman

Analogman

• 46,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

I have those - but I think I have only listened to the B-sides discs.

#32 Duck-Billed Catechist

Duck-Billed Catechist

• 15,167 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

It is not a memorable collection by any means. The allmusic review pretty much nails it.

#33 Sir Stewart

Sir Stewart

anime mega-robot

• 35,138 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

I picked up Rattle & Hum on vinyl for $5.99 this weekend. Pretty cool.

#34 Campaigner

Campaigner

Misunderstood

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:04 AM

I picked up Rattle & Hum on vinyl for $5.99 this weekend. Pretty cool.

Could be my favourite U2 album. Was the first album I ever bought and therefore probably has some sentimental value, but I still love it.

#35 Sir Stewart

Sir Stewart

anime mega-robot

• 35,138 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

It's become my favorite in just the past few years - for a long time I thought it was over-inflated wannabe stuff. It's aged remarkably well.

#36 EL the Famous

EL the Famous

Avenging Disco Godfather

• 16,005 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

I agree w/ Jorge, that the remixes of those songs did nothing but water them down...I thought POP was some of their most adventerous music from an instrumental POV, definitely some of Edge's best guitar work.

Also agree w/ Sir S, that Rattle & Hum has aged VERY well.

#37 Scalzunfield

Scalzunfield

I'm Always in Love

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

i have to disagree with you 50% there. i liked all that you can't leave behind, but i do think that how to dismantle is trash.

All That You Can't Leave Behind could have been a killer EP by just taking the first 6 songs off the album. The second half of that album is absolute garbage. And as soon as I heard "Vertigo," I knew I would never have a reason to listen to this band again.

That said, I am completely hit-and-miss with U2. My intros to the band were Joshua, Achtung, and All That You Can't Leave Behind. I do not like any of those 3 albums all the way through; I find myself skipping tracks frequently. Therefore, I've never felt a desire to check out the rest of their catalogue.

This news about them working with great producers and such does not excite me. As I've said before: "you can dress up shit any way you like, but it's still shit." If the songs aren't there, it doesn't matter what the producer does.

#38 Duck-Billed Catechist

Duck-Billed Catechist

• 15,167 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

I don't think I agree with a single thing you said. :stunned

FYI Eno and Lanois are the producers they've worked with for most of their career. It's not some new thing--just a change from their previous album.

#39 Analogman

Analogman

• 46,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

U2's 3D Concert Film Debuts At Sundance

January 21, 2008, 8:40 AM ET

After a career playing to sold-out stadiums, U2 did what their fans have done for years -- stood in line to see U2 perform. That concert was "U2 3D," a film of the band's 2005-06 Vertigo tour, shot at several shows in South America with new 3-D technology.

"I was really hoping we weren't crap after all these years. Luckily we weren't," guitarist The Edge told The Associated Press before the band donned plastic glasses to watch the movie's premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on Saturday night.

The Edge, joined by singer Bono, drummer Larry Mullen and bassist Adam Clayton, joked about the absurdity of seeing themselves perform after playing together for more than 30 years.

"It's kind of horrific," to see himself on stage in 3-D, said Bono. "It's bad enough on a small screen. Now you get to see the lard arse 40-foot tall."

The Edge said the 3-D technology allowed "the songs to shine through," though he was surprised to see the chemistry of the band in the details on screen, and how far apart his bandmates were on stage.

"Are you saying you felt lonely up there?" said Bono, smiling. "No, I felt lonely for Larry," The Edge replied. "He likes being on his own," said Bono. "Didn't you bring him back a bottle of water?"

Bono said he loved playing to the enthusiastic audiences of Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Rio de Janeiro.

"Irish people are essentially Latin people who don't know how to dance," he said. "When people are screaming and roaring and shouting, the humbling thing is to realize it's not really for the band or artist on the stage. It's for their connection with the songs. A song just can own you ... . I think that's why concerts are so powerful. If that song is such a part of your life, and you hear it, it's too much almost."

Bono also expressed hope that the film would allow more people to experience their music, especially teenagers and college students who might not be able to afford the pricey tickets to their sold-out shows.

The band is working with longtime producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno on a new album that will merge Lanois' respect for traditional music and Eno's futuristic sound.

"Music like the band had formed on Venus, and somewhere between that is our next album," Bono said. "Where they join, where something feels always existing but you never heard it before, that seems to be what the two of them bring out in us."

#40 Sir Stewart

Sir Stewart

anime mega-robot

• 35,138 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

I'm gonna check this out - I read a blurb in the paper that it approximates it to flying around the arena on the back of a bird. Trippy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users