• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The singing is especially rough, but I'm enjoying the playing. Fixed the locale. 

Here's what I wrote about Bobby not even five years ago, when he opened the AmericanaramA tour:

"Bob Weir was great. The man can still command a stage, even with just an acoustic guitar. Very surprised by how hard he pushed himself vocally, and it was crystal clear." He was belting out blues standards like Howlin' Wolf, and could still hit the high notes on his own songs.

Now I feel actual physical discomfort watching/listening to him sing. The decline over the last five years is heartbreaking. I was always a Jerry guy, but I like ol' Bob, too, so it's hard to see. I hope he and Phil are enjoying themselves, but in a way, I also hope they hang it up after this. It's time to take the car keys away. I know not everyone will agree, but I couldn't sit through it.

Now I feel actual physical discomfort watching/listening to him sing. The decline over the last five years is heartbreaking. I was always a Jerry guy, but I like ol' Bob, too, so it's hard to see. I hope he and Phil are enjoying themselves, but in a way, I also hope they hang it up after this. It's time to take the car keys away. I know not everyone will agree, but I couldn't sit through it.

He can still play though. He should just hand over the singing duties. 

Ratdog played radio city

Jam > Shakedown Street > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > She Says, Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall@, Lazy River Road@ > Odessa > Book of Rules, Cassidy > Stuff* > Dear Prudence > Two Djinn > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower
E: Attics of My Life+
*-with Michael Travis (Drums); "Attics" a capella; Stuff - Jeff/Jay/Kenny > Jeff/Jay/Kenny/Robin > Jeff/Jay/Kenny/Robin/Travis > all/Travis
(with String Cheese Incident [RD closed])

Jam > Casey Jones, Minglewood Blues > She Belongs to Me, Brown-Eyed Women, Crazy Fingers, Big Iron@, Victim or the Crime@, Uncle John's Band > The Other One > Stuff > Sugaree > Throwing Stones > Liberty*
E: Black Muddy River*
*-with The Persuasions (Vocals); "Black Muddy" a capalla; Kenny sat in with SCI on "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," then the whole band besides Robin sat in on "Jam > I Know You Rider"
(with String Cheese Incident [sCI closed])

I saw Donna singing with a band a bunch of years ago (Stir Fried? JGB (Melvin's band)? and she sounded great.

Yes, saw Donna with Zero about 12 years ago and she was fine. Just think without Bobby you're pretty much out of lead singers.

Ratdog played radio city

Jam > Shakedown Street > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > She Says, Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall@, Lazy River Road@ > Odessa > Book of Rules, Cassidy > Stuff* > Dear Prudence > Two Djinn > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower
E: Attics of My Life+
*-with Michael Travis (Drums); "Attics" a capella; Stuff - Jeff/Jay/Kenny > Jeff/Jay/Kenny/Robin > Jeff/Jay/Kenny/Robin/Travis > all/Travis
(with String Cheese Incident [RD closed])

Jam > Casey Jones, Minglewood Blues > She Belongs to Me, Brown-Eyed Women, Crazy Fingers, Big Iron@, Victim or the Crime@, Uncle John's Band > The Other One > Stuff > Sugaree > Throwing Stones > Liberty*
E: Black Muddy River*
*-with The Persuasions (Vocals); "Black Muddy" a capalla; Kenny sat in with SCI on "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," then the whole band besides Robin sat in on "Jam > I Know You Rider"
(with String Cheese Incident [sCI closed])

Furthur did 3 shows at Radio City in 2011. Speaking of, guessing Chicago may get a sit in from John K at the upcoming duo shows. No rumors I've heard, but if I had to wager. Some people would be happy/unhappy if that were to come true.

He can still play though. He should just hand over the singing duties. 

Unfortunately, Phil hasn't been as good as Bobby since...well, ever!

Who are they gonna get to sing? Mickey and Donna?

Good point.

Back in the day, when Jerry declined so badly, Bobby's singing kinda made up for that. And Jerry's playing kinda made up for the cheese factor Bobby sometimes brought. 

I'd be able to handle it better if Weir's vocals were gravelly and harsh, but he sounds - and looks - frail. Old age can be very unkind in this business.

Saw last night's Bob and Phil Duo show, with Larry and Theresa back for night 2. I thought the show was Fantastic! Pretty much a perfect show for me. What a great vibe to the music. Hard to pick out highlights in a show that blew me away the entire night, but Black Throated Wind (2nd song of the night), Mountains of the Moon>Rosemary>Mountains and Morning Dew definitely come to mind. Exceeded my expectations for sure. From the Boston Globe's review of the Wednesday show: "But Weir and Lesh demonstrated yet again that one of the greatest catalogs in American music stands up to interpretation from seemingly infinite points of view. And in that sense, everything went just as they planned it."

Saw last night's Bob and Phil Duo show, with Larry and Theresa back for night 2. I thought the show was Fantastic! Pretty much a perfect show for me. What a great vibe to the music. Hard to pick out highlights in a show that blew me away the entire night, but Black Throated Wind (2nd song of the night), Mountains of the Moon>Rosemary>Mountains and Morning Dew definitely come to mind. Exceeded my expectations for sure. From the Boston Globe's review of the Wednesday show: "But Weir and Lesh demonstrated yet again that one of the greatest catalogs in American music stands up to interpretation from seemingly infinite points of view. And in that sense, everything went just as they planned it."

Cosmic Charlie done old style probably the highlight for me but a great show overall and loved both nights in Boston. It has been a great tour and sorry to have to step off the bus after night 1 at Radio City and both in Boston. funny for me that the last time i was in the Wang Theater was to see the Grateful Dead 11/13-14/1978 when it was called The Boston Music Hall. Great venue and really hard to recall seeing Phil having as much fun as this little tour. Living in New York I have been back more often to Radio City, including for Furthur but recall well going to 10/29-31/1980 for the Grateful Dead there too. 

Really enjoyed the Alligator from last night, in more of a bluegrass style with Larry on mando. Nice tribute to Pig on the 45th anni of his passing, I believe. Also caught the end of set 2, and the Rosemary part was real nice. The Baby Blue encore was a trainwreck, hate the way Bob does that song. Someone needs to tell him to stop. Not good. 

I thought it was funny when Phil came out for the donor rap and started talking about being back in Boston, he said this isn't the Garden but it's a nice fun place to play just as much. As if he had no idea of all the fantastic Dead shows that went down in that building when it was the Boston Music Hall. Particularly those Nov/Dec '73 shows that became my favorite DIck's Pick. 

These two nights in Boston were a treasure. I have seen GD over the years in various incarnations, thiese

nights were unique. From Loose Lucy to start and for me Morning Dew to close it out, were amazing. So many high points over the course of two nights.

What made it great was the chill and at times appropriately excited vibe from the band and crowd.

My friends and I knew we were seeing something special. It was great seeing these two longtime friends, having fun together onstage, and shairing the joy.

I've watched parts of all the "duo" shows and have a mixed reaction. While I appreciate the concept of it it and have enjoyed parts of it, overall it's a slight train wreck. A lot of it is just really sloppy, imo. I realize this is in tune with the GD's ethos, in a sense, but the stripped down stuff doesn't necessarily translate too well, for me, in the non-rehearsed category. Also, they have a shit-ton of tunes between them that span over 50 yrs, yet are playing the same tunes after 2-3 shows. Minor gripe. I love that they are playing together but some of it has been cringe-worthy to my ears. 

I think they sound fine (for septuagenarians). He's a sound-glimpse in time, back when Weir's voice was, you know, really good:

Isolated tracks!

https://livemusicblog.com/2017/06/04/grateful-dead-isolated-vocal-tracks/2/

When there's two voices - is that Bob's voice being double tracked, or is that Jerry singing with him simultaneously? 

My guess is that it's the 2nd option...

When there's two voices - is that Bob's voice being double tracked, or is that Jerry singing with him simultaneously? 

My guess is that it's the 2nd option...

On the "Sugar Magnolia"? I'd have to listen again but on the first listen it sounded like Bob's harmonizing with himself on the tune.

I would say Bob is singing all the vocals on the studio version of Sugar Magnolia. Double tracked.

I know they did one of those Classic Album shows on American Beauty. (Anthem to Beauty or something like that) perhaps they talk about it on that doc. I don't remember. 

I would say Bob is singing all the vocals on the studio version of Sugar Magnolia. Double tracked.

I know they did one of those Classic Album shows on American Beauty. (Anthem to Beauty or something like that) perhaps they talk about it on that doc. I don't remember. 

But the strange this is - not all of the vocals are double tracked. 

"Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming, head's all empty and I don't care" - double tracked 

"Saw my baby down by the river," - single voice.

"Knew she had to come up soon for air" - double tracked

my thought process was - because they switch between two voices and one, it probably would be easier to have Jerry singing alongside him instead of double tracking?

This is what I meant instead of harmonizing. My bad.

Whatever dude. I'm over it.

But the strange this is - not all of the vocals are double tracked. 

"Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming, head's all empty and I don't care" - double tracked 

"Saw my baby down by the river, etc." - single voice.

Whatever dude. I'm over it.

Studio wizardry. 

I can be wrong, though.

That's why American Beauty is a treasure - great songs and great production.