I'm nearly done with Stiff, and yes, I'm loving it, too. Her writing style and sense of humor keep reminding me of Brianne! I'm a big advocate of organ donation, and I've been saying for years that I want whatever can't be donated out of me to be given to the UCSF anatomy lab, so I appreciate her support of those programs. But what I'm really loving is the composting idea! I'm going to get all the forms in order one of these days, with all of these things spelled out. I will come back and haunt anyone who tries to embalm and bury me. :pirate

Well now I have to read it! I actually recognize the cover because my mom read it awhile ago, and I think she enjoyed it.

I have finally begun reading All Souls, and I'm liking very much.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary Roach's second book, Spook: Science Tackles The Afterlife was disappointing to me. I know it would be nearly impossible to follow up Stiff, but it really fell flat. Um, not that you actually asked, but just a little warning. :blush

And the subject matter doesn't sound nearly as intriguing to me, so I may just give it a miss, then. :cheekkiss

Well now I have to read it! I actually recognize the cover because my mom read it awhile ago, and I think she enjoyed it.

I have finally begun reading All Souls, and I'm liking very much.

I once heard Janeane Garafolo say about George Clooney, "I'm not made of wood"; and I know a whole lot of women who feel that way about Michael McDonald. :blush

I have my plot all picked out.

More environmentally friendly than cremation, you get to feed a tree that your family and friends can go to visit, rather than being in a box buried under a granite slab in the middle of a field of other granite slabs... seems like a perfect solution to me. :yes

I'm going to start this one today:

10051544.jpg

I've been obsessed with the flu since way before this latest avian flu scare, so I'm long overdue to read this one. And if it's even half as good as I've been led to believe it is, I'll likely follow up with another of his books:

10213729.jpg

I could only find a decent cover shot from the audiobook. :hmm But I'll be doing the reading myself on this one. :yes

It's on the radar a little more now with all the talk of the avian flu, but yeah, strange how that nearly disappeared from our history.

Rising Tide looks great, too. I heard the author being interviewed on NPR just after Hurricane Katrina. He discussed how the 1927 flood changed the demographics of the entire country by displacing so many southern blacks, and how Herbert Hoover's response to the flood (in his capacity as Secretary of Commerce, he oversaw much of what FEMA would do today) brought him into the national spotlight and was a large factor contributing to his election as president in 1928.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but these stories fascinate me.

gogo, have you ever read this?

0807050202.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The title sounds like the punchline to a joke, but it really happened and it's an interesting book.

Looks good to me! Thanks, that's another one for the list.

Maudie, I'm definitely going to borrow Stiff to read in line at the Fillmore today.

:thumbup

Currently enjoying the Elvis bio 'Last Train to Memphis', it was me that started the controversial Elvis apprecitation thread of recent, then I realized most of Elvis knowledge came from bad made for tv movies, so I thought I'd better crack a book, glad I did, it's excellent.

1845761820.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

V and Jack White: seperated at birth?

oooh. I gotta dig out my original comics.

klosterman1.jpg

Just finished this the other day. I liked his conversational prose style. The book was a bit light on any indepth analysis, and came off a bit Hornbyesque at times, nonetheless it had some funny moments: the part where he talks about which CD you use to cut your drugs determing whether you're an addict or not was pretty classic.

16-8cover.jpg

About a 1/4 of my way through this. It's an interesting read for any fans of this great Aussie band.

Edited by GtrPlyr