• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

london-fields.jpg

:wub

This is my fourth time reading this book, and I continue to be amazed. I just read that David Cronenberg is directing a film version of this, with the screenplay written by Amis...It could be worse, but I think it will be next to impossible to cast. Especially Keith Talent.

next up

0679735739.jpg

It's a shame none of his other books are as good as these two (except for his memoir). But then again, if they were, all I would ever read is Martin Amis and Nabokov.

And have this on the "next up" list I'll be bringing on vacation next week:

Kafka_book.jpg

that's on my next up list too, and i will also be bringing it with me on vacation next week! whoa!!

i just started:

metalkprettyoneday.jpg

it's actually the first i've read from Sedaris. i dunno, i love the way it reads (it's so easy and entertaining), but i don't know how hilarious it is. either way, perfect for a bored night at home, i'll prolly even end up finishing it tonight or tomorrow.

Wonder Boys has to be my favorite book. I picked up Mysteries Of Pittsburgh a year ago started it and never finished it. I decided to read it and finish it in one sitting yesterday. It has to be one of the oddest books I read. I am not very familiar with Chabon

The Bread of Time : Toward an Autobiography

by Philip Levine

Condition Of The Spirit: The Life And Work Of Larry Levis

by Christopher Buckley (Editor), Alexander Long (Editor)

Ate It Anyway: Stories

by Edward Allen

Compression Scars

by Kellie Wells

How Far She Went

by Mary Hood

0195132416.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

700 pages and a century of music is a lot to chew on, but I'm really digging this. :yes

Gary is an excellent writer and this book has always been one I wanted to read. He is really one of the premier and certainly living jazz writers. Good stuff. I have read other books and articles by him.

LouieB

Gary is an excellent writer and this book has always been one I wanted to read. He is really one of the premier and certainly living jazz writers. Good stuff. I have read other books and articles by him.

LouieB

Its a huge book and a lot to swallow all at once, but I think the way he has broken it up--in a series of like 70 profiles that read like articles--makes it easier to take. So far I'm burning through it in linear fashion, but you could just as easily "hop around" because its arranged somewhat like a reference book. The more I learn about jazz, the more I learn that I've got a lot to learn. :lol Great book!

:wub Russell Banks is one of my favorites. When you finish Bone, by all means pick up Continental Drift. :yes

thanks! i'll likely pick it up an an airport tomorrow as i've got a long trip, and i'll have finished my current book by then:

nr:

longwaydown.jpg

nick hornby--a long way down

Before I left for the summer, my teaching mentor gave me her set of the series All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. BBC turned it into a series. I've only just started, but the first few chapters were interesting.

1582431787-l.jpg

I have two fine gentlemen of VC to thank for this, one for piqueing my curiosity, and one for lending me the (autographed!) book. You know who you are.

Delicious so far. Thanks guys!

I'm gonna put that on my list

love Bryson

I think I've read all of his books except the one about Australia, and the one about walking the Appalachian trail. I've loved all of them.

Not usually my type of book, but I just finished this one yesterday:

10637086.gif

It was quite good, actually, even had an Uncle Tupelo reference in it.

Just started this one today:

10313238.gif

I'm about 1/2 way through it and so far, so good