Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laminated Kat

ENGLAND

Nay sayers nay away...that was a great match. Beckham's kick was perfect and Rooney played 90(3). I'm happy! :wub The only thing that upset me was the crappy ABC commentary, a problem easily solved with the mute button.

2239386340.jpg

:wub

I love how AFTER he scored the amazing goal he is all of a sudden the best in the world! Up to that point he was "mediocre" at best. What a load of shit those guys talk.

Did they mention Beckham threw up after he scored? I don't know if he was ill or was nervous/excited, but he did. You wouldn't want to slide through that stuff if you could help it. Apart from that goal, which was a great free kick, he really shouldn't have been playing though, if he's not on form and crossing well he is pretty much a waste of a player on the pitch. The only thing is that he seems to deliver when it's needed.

It was a fairly boring match. Good that we won, but Ecuador were never even in it, apart from that mistake in the first half. Rooney looked like he was getting back on form, he really is the man to win it for us this time, the bloke is built like an ox and he never gives up - talk about British Bulldog (he looks like a pikey though, so I guess it's in the blood)

I love how AFTER he scored the amazing goal he is all of a sudden the best in the world! Up to that point he was "mediocre" at best. What a load of shit those guys talk.

Aside from his goal, he had a typically mediocre Beckham match, I thought.

He is brilliant on set pieces, but spends most of the rest of the time trying not to sully his uniform.

I don't even think Beckham's dead ball delivery has been that good in this world cup either - his corners have been poor and the goal yesterday is the best thing he's done other than the cross for Crouch's goal against T&T.

We'll see... after the madness that was the Holland v Portugal last night, England will face a weakened Portguease side... They're going to have to play a lot better to beat the south american sides left in the competition, their inability to make anything from open play would concern me too...

Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari defended Figo.

He said: "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek, unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ."

In truth the Dutch guy involved should be banned for being such a big girl over the incident. I missed the England game - was on the M4 at the time, though it seems I did not miss much. At this rate, even if they continue to win, it's not a team I feel like celebrating - world cup winners should play inspirational football.

The draw has worked out nicely for my Ukrainian boys!

In truth the Dutch guy involved should be banned for being such a big girl over the incident. I missed the England game - was on the M4 at the time, though it seems I did not miss much. At this rate, even if they continue to win, it's not a team I feel like celebrating - world cup winners should play inspirational football.

The draw has worked out nicely for my Ukrainian boys!

A win is a win.

I would rather play "boring" ball and win then play inspirational ball and lose.

I am surprised from all the press against England abouth their play. They are in the final 8 and in a great spot.

I wish the US played as boring as some of the teams still in the tournament.

A win is a win.

I would rather play "boring" ball and win then play inspirational ball and lose.

I am surprised from all the press against England abouth their play. They are in the final 8 and in a great spot.

:D Well, I have the Welsh desire for poetry and flair in sporting performance. Better for Wales to loose heroically playing as a free spirit than grind out a dismal win (and therefore as a semi-neutral I can't get behind England when they are so dull to watch).

This is the problem I have on Sat; I don't like the portugease team, full of players who like to fall over a little too much for my liking.... So can I really support England on Sat afternoon... I honestly don't think I can do it. I was really hoping Holland would get through, I'd got an orange t-shirt especially!

Apart from that goal, which was a great free kick, he really shouldn't have been playing though, if he's not on form and crossing well he is pretty much a waste of a player on the pitch.

Beckham can walk around the pitch all day as long as he can bend in clutch free kicks like that from 30+

GO ENGLAND!

ENGLAND

The only thing that upset me was the crappy ABC commentary, a problem easily solved with the mute button.

as soon as I get aggrivated with the ABC commentary...I turn to telemundo, its much easier to drown out a language you are unfamiliar with

Edited by G_willy
Guest Laminated Kat
This is the problem I have on Sat; I don't like the portugease team, full of players who like to fall over a little too much for my liking.... So can I really support England on Sat afternoon... I honestly don't think I can do it. I was really hoping Holland would get through, I'd got an orange t-shirt especially!

I still just don't get all of the criticism. They keep winning and I think they played fine on Sautrday. Enough to hold off Brazil? Absolutley not, but they did what they needed to do. They passed the ball incredibly and had great control throughout the game. But we all have our own picks I suppose.

Beckham can walk around the pitch all day as long as he can bend in clutch free kicks like that from 30+

GO ENGLAND!

I agree. What if he hadn't been out there on the numerous clutch kicks and passes he has made thus far? I am not so sure they would be where they are. I would have been puking too after playing almost 90 minutes of soccer in 90+ temps. You never know how the heat will affect you. You can be in perfect shape and get sick from the heat.

GO ENGLAND!

Well the last time he scored for England before that was 2003, so take from that what you will.

What are clutch kicks? Is that the American for free kick? If so, where does that term come from, it sounds interesting.

Guest Laminated Kat
Did they mention Beckham threw up after he scored?

They didn't have to mention it. ABC zoomed in while he was puking.

Hey, I puked when I ran over the finish line Sunday. I've been working my ass off to get in perfect running shape. It happens.

Well the last time he scored for England before that was 2003, so take from that what you will.

The last time he marked anyone was probably 2002. That was also around the last time he made a decent slide tackle.

Beckham has the cracking right foot, but England would be better off with a player on the wing who's actually willing to do some hard running and tackling. If they want to leave Beckham in, at least move him into the middle and put someone like Lennon out wide.

Guest Laminated Kat
What are clutch kicks? Is that the American for free kick? If so, where does that term come from, it sounds interesting.

Clutch is to come through in the end when it is crucial and/or necessary. Come through for your team and make it happen...etc.

Beckham has the cracking right foot, but England would be better off with a player on the wing who's actually willing to do some hard running and tackling. If they want to leave Beckham in, at least move him into the middle and put someone like Lennon out wide.

I agree with that. They used to play him in the middle, didn't they? They also need two strikers up front. There were too many gaps.

They didn't have to mention it. ABC zoomed in while he was puking.

Hey, I puked when I ran over the finish line Sunday. I've been working my ass off to get in perfect running shape. It happens.

I actually think he was ill, rather than the fact that he puked from working too much. I could see how nerves might do that, but I'd assume he'd be used to those sorts of stress levels already, so the fact that he was feeling ill and still played is interesting. Apparently Sven didn't know, so if we'd lost all hell would have broken loose after finding out that a sick man was on the pitch. All credit to Beckham though, he wanted to play so much he'd even do so whilst being ill (still think he's one of the worst players on the pitch). The mistakes in the Sweden game were totally due to his inability to defend well - it was he who should have been marking the front man who headed the ball in at the near post, at this level that person should never have been able to get in that position without being marked.

Its not always about getting the goal, Beckham has had approximatly 4 assists off free kicks in the past month for England...no one can bend a ball like him and as a result, theres been some sick goals.

and clutch means performing well under pressure. it was mid second half and England needed a goal for the win ... Beckham scoring from 30+ was clutch

Guest Laminated Kat
it was he who should have been marking the front man who headed the ball in at the near post, at this level that person should never have been able to get in that position without being marked.

That is true. I never gave it much thought because I was so pleased they made it through.

They have an incredible team and they're not quite getting there. I just keep praying the magic will show up at the next game. They have been playing fine, as I have said, and shown they can control the ball and pass it around beautifully. They just need to completley "get" there......Maybe it's all Sven. I wasn't happy with the 1st half line up yesterday at all. Rooney shouldn't alone up front.

Its not always about getting the goal, Beckham has had approximatly 4 assists off free kicks in the past month for England...no one can bend a ball like him and as a result, theres been some sick goals.

The problem with that is that England has probably the best midfield in the whole world, and David Beckham kicking the ball over their heads every time is a bit of a waste. It kind of makes sense when Crouch and Owen are up front together, but that's not going to happen now. He won't be able to do that if England maintain this new formation though as it'll be pointless kicking the ball up to Rooney on his own, so maybe Beckham's place in the team will be redundant. They are never going to drop him, but after seeing Carrick in midfield with Hargreaves in defence (which worked very well), Beckham really needs to justify his place when someone as sharp and skillful as Lennon is left on the bench.

This issue of Beckham assisting is not a good way to look at things either, you have to say that playing this style of football is going to benefit Beckham, but if we played a different style which suits the quality we have in midfield then we'll score more goals I am sure (Lampard and Gerrard are truly world class players who score mountains of goals for Chelsea and Liverpool, and could make it into any side in any team at the moment), then Beckham becomes a waste of space on the pitch.

That is true. I never gave it much thought because I was so pleased they made it through.

They have an incredible team and they're not quite getting there. I just keep praying the magic will show up at the next game. They have been playing fine, as I have said, and shown they can control the ball and pass it around beautifully. They just need to completley "get" there......Maybe it's all Sven. I wasn't happy with the 1st half line up yesterday at all. Rooney shouldn't alone up front.

Definatley, it's all Sven's fault, the man just sits down and crosses his fingers when the whistle blows. He should be up shouting out his orders like any half qualified manager would. The man is appalling. Everything else is right about the team and yet he finds a way to mess matters up, how are the team supposed to motivate themselves with him behind them?

Guest Laminated Kat
Definatley, it's all Sven's fault, the man just sits down and crosses his fingers when the whistle blows. He should be up shouting out his orders like any half qualified manager would. The man is appalling. Everything else is right about the team and yet he finds a way to mess matters up, how are the team supposed to motivate themselves with him behind them?

There is no passion in that man. There I am jumping up and down screaming at a tele and he's sitting there with his legs crossed looking very pompous.

There is no passion in that man. There I am jumping up and down screaming at a tele and he's sitting there with his legs crossed looking very pompous.

Well at least, whatever happens, he'll be gone by the end of the World Cup and we'll have an English Manager again with at least some knowledge of the game.

I still actually think we have a good chance (I don't want my posts to sound like me being negative about England). The fact that we have played so-so and not burnt ourselves out with great football will be to our advantage as the tournament goes on. I think we actually played our best football so far on Saturday, so we need to just keep improving and we'll keep winning.