Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of it as a conference or division...

Thanks. :cheers

If the reaction in England is anywhere near the reaction in the bar in midtown NYC where I was watching the first half of England/Trinidad, well, I dont think Crouch will be welcome at home anymore.

HEY, ENGLAND, TAKE CROUCH OUT OF THE FUCKING MATCH!!!! THANKS!!!

Crouch was useless against Paraguay. Is this guy really a star in the Premier League?

What's the use of all that height if he can't get his feet off the ground?

Sounds like Crouch finally did something useful. I wish I'd been able to watch.

I may need to eat my words on Beckham too, whom I also generally regard to be useless. Am I to understand that he's largely responsible for all three of the goals England have scored so far?

Hey, maybe this will work for me elsewhere: McBride, Donovan, Beasley -- you guys are USELESS.

Guest Laminated Kat
Sounds like Crouch finally did something useful. I wish I'd been able to watch.

He did. I take back what I said. Though he did have a beautiful pass sent in off of Beckham's foot. He's not useless.

I watched the second half over lunch and loved it! The substitutions seemed to really energize the team and the fans.

Yes, Crouch redeemed himself. A nice header to score the first goal.

Another newbie observation/question re: the goal that Trinidad scored that was called back during stoppage time becasue it was offsides. It was the right call as the Trinidad player was clearly offsides. But in truth, the only reason he was offsides (as far as I could tell) was that the English defense got lazy and forgot about him. They were playing defense as if the game was already over (it was 2-0 at that point). The Trinidad player that would have scored was so close to the goal and one of the defensemen half-heartedly moved up to play the ball. WHen he did this, the player with the ball passed it to the guy at the goal and he put it right in... I dont know if I am making myself clear, but it just seemed like it became offsides because the defenseman didnt play his position well (and not because the Trinidad player tried to sneak behind the defense).

I suppose thats a strategy of the defense sometimes -- move up and cause an offsides intentionally. But in this case, it didnt seem to me like it was intentional. I think England just got lucky...

Either way, it was a fun match. My addiction is solidifying.

I suppose thats a strategy of the defense sometimes -- move up and cause an offsides intentionally. But in this case, it didnt seem to me like it was intentional. I think England just got lucky...

I didn't see the play (stuck at work :realmad ) but that sounds like a standard offside trap. It's a nearly constant strategy by nearly every defensive line in the game. The risk, of course, is that you're leaving a lot in the hands of the assistant referee on the sideline. The defense will often step up to put an opposing striker offside, and that's probably what happened there -- but again, I didn't see it.

I didn't see the play (stuck at work :realmad ) but that sounds like a standard offside trap.

If you have a chance to see it I'd be interested to hear what you think... I really got the impression that it was not an intentional move by the defense. I got the sense that the defenseman forgot about the Trinidad player and he took a step up to half-heartedly play the ball. But then, I could be wrong.

Rooney got everyone pumped up. I have never seen the guy play before, but it just seemed like everyone took it up a notch when he came in. I liked what I saw out of him. He played with more passion than anyone else on England. Led by example I think.

Guest Laminated Kat
If you have a chance to see it I'd be interested to hear what you think... I really got the impression that it was not an intentional move by the defense.

Really, you can't read this much in to it. Soccer is very fast paced. It very well could have been. But at the 89th minute they were all pretty beat.

Really, you can't read this much in to it. Soccer is very fast paced. It very well could have been. But at the 89th minute they were all pretty beat.

No, I know what you are saying. But as I learn more about the game, and see the nuances, these are the things that I pick up on. I only thought it was interesting. I wasnt trying to read too much into the play -- just reading into the interesting concept of offsides and how it can be a (risky) strategy of the defense.

And yes, I am sure they were exhausted. I was exhausted just watching them.

No, I know what you are saying. But as I learn more about the game, and see the nuances, these are the things that I pick up on. I only thought it was interesting. I wasnt trying to read too much into the play -- just reading into the interesting concept of offsides and how it can be a (risky) strategy of the defense.

And yes, I am sure they were exhausted. I was exhausted just watching them.

It's called "playing the offside trap". Basically as long as they (they being the defence) push out at the right time before the ball is passed forward from the attacking side then you don't need to mark the player as he will be offside when the ball is struck. Equally if the player is already offside before the ball is struck he can be ignored. It was a good goal, shame that he was offside.

Argentina 3 - 0 up at HALF TIME... they've played some beautiful football.

The second goal was exquisite...

This was how the Guardian described it:

30 mins: How the f**k am I supposed to describe that? The goal of the tournament so far and quite possibly the greatest goal I've ever seen.

24 passes and a back heal... lovely stuff and I'm not a huge football fan.

Nice to see Maradona going beserk in the stands too. I had the usual view on him until I saw a documentary about him a while back. He was living in Cuba and watching a match featuring his old team Boca Juniors on TV and going absolutely mental. You just have to like that kind of passion for sport.