Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

They looked pathetic. They looked like 3rd graders who didn't even know why they were playing.

I actually said to some guy in the bar that it looked like an AYSO team against some real men.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually said to some guy in the bar that it looked like an AYSO team against some real men.

:lol I said that too, to my friend and some guy at the bar.

They've only got that rating due to the teams they have to play in their qualifying rounds, really it means nothing when the European and South American, and even the African groups are far more competetive. I think it's wrong to say the American's are terrible, cos they're not, but the Czechs are a very good side and some of their best teams would have a hard time playing them I am sure. America can still qualify, so don't go giving up hope on them just yet.

A. I know the ranking is pretty much a joke.

B. I was saying they looked terrible today. They actually have a decent team but because of this defeat they are going to have to bust their balls and not let Italy beat them Saturday.

C. I am not pulling for them so it really is no big deal if they lose to me. I am pulling for Croatia and Germany mainly.

D. I am only a soccer freak during WC otherwise I am realitivly indifferent because I am not a big MLS fan and can't watch any European leagues.

E. I in no way meant to offend you in this post. You are actually one of my fav non rtt posters.

A. I know the ranking is pretty much a joke.

B. I was saying they looked terrible today. They actually have a decent team but because of this defeat they are going to have to bust their balls and not let Italy beat them Saturday.

C. I am not pulling for them so it really is no big deal if they lose to me. I am pulling for Croatia and Germany mainly.

D. I am only a soccer freak during WC otherwise I am realitivly indifferent because I am not a big MLS fan and can't watch any European leagues.

E. I in no way meant to offend you in this post. You are actually one of my fav non rtt posters.

F. off :lol

I'm backing Croatia too, or I was until mthomp told me they are all ill with food poisoning. I actually still wouldn't put it past America to beat Italy and Ghanna and then go on to the next round. In a game between Italy and America most people will be behind the Americans I am sure.

I'll never understand an American not rooting for America. I could see if Bush and Cheney were on the team, but otherwise...

I agree fully. This is like the last area in the world where the U.S. is still an underdog.

I agree fully. This is like the last area in the world where the U.S. is still an underdog.

i was born here, but my parents were born in Italy. i grew up speaking italian in the household, and i have a lot of family in italy.

so between USA and Italy in soccer, i support Italy. don't call me a traitor. my situation is a little different.

I finally finished watching today's matches. My observations:

A. :omg Holy shit, Australia!!! That rocked out.

B. The U.S. got their asses handed to them - do they even care that this is the World Cup?? It sure didn't look like it.

C. Ghana v. Italy was very exciting. Judging by that game, both teams are going to mop the floor with the U.S. (which makes me very sad).

i was born here, but my parents were born in Italy. i grew up speaking italian in the household, and i have a lot of family in italy.

so between USA and Italy in soccer, i support Italy. don't call me a traitor. my situation is a little different.

That's OK. My ancestors came to this country so long ago that there are no links back to whatever homelands they may have come from.

I'll never understand an American not rooting for America. I could see if Bush and Cheney were on the team, but otherwise...

I'll never understand why Americans don't believe in Freedom and how forced patriotism is ok.

It is not like I am burning flags and saying fuck America. I just choose to pull for a different soccer teams Other than the USA team. The reason I am pulling for Croatia is in 1998 two of my friends were Croatian Basketball players on the same basketball team I was working with and we watched the world cup together (it was Croatia

I'll never understand why Americans don't believe in Freedom and how forced patriotism is ok.

It is not like I am burning flags and saying fuck America.

Of course you're not. (Are you?) All I'm saying is that our team deserves our support. I don't like that being patriotic is now the province of the right wing. I'd like to find some way to reclaim a little bit of the love of the American people, our people, for those of us who espouse lefty or leftist views. Rooting for this team may be the way to do this. Is there any other country that has within it a sector of its own people who hate it so?

Of course you're not. (Are you?) All I'm saying is that our team deserves our support. I don't like that being patriotic is now the province of the right wing. I'd like to find some way to reclaim a little bit of the love of the American people, our people, for those of us who espouse lefty or leftist views. Rooting for this team may be the way to do this. Is there any other country that has within it a sector of its own people who hate it so?

I'd rather they not be in the tournament at all. They just don't excite/interest me. not sure why, but the same thing happens during the Olympics.

Saame here....only my mother comes from Old Moravia.....Cesky Republika!!!!

-Robert.

I was seriously disappointed with Ghana last night. But I've got to say just how good was Michael Essien for them last night? He single-handedly galvanised those players into something apporaching a team and even a threat. That was one of the most awesome, combative displays I think I have ever seen.

If only Ghana weren't so naive in their defending, and wayward with their shooting they would have got something out of last night's game.

USA have no fear, Italy were not 'that' good. You can win. You will win. And if you don't I lose a chance of scooping some big money.

And not a single person in the office knows that the world cup is going on. The typical american is way to freaking local sports myopic. It pisses me off to no end.

I am primarily a rugby fan, and our world cup (next year!) is not so all encompassing, but the world wide mass appeal of the Football World Cup as an event makes it very special - much more so than the Olympics or anything else. It is a shame that Americans in general miss out on this greatest of sporting carnivals. Football is so universal it is a real ice-breaker all around the world. All the places I have been there have been kids who when they learn you are from the UK will smile and say "Manchester United!", "Liverpool" etc. I also had a conversation about Samantha Fox with a guy in Syria once that was very weird, but that is another story. It is almost laughable, but absolutely true, that when travelling around communist Europe in the 80s, I lost count of the number of times a border guard would be checking our passports, then grin, and say "Bobby Charlton!".

It is almost laughable, but absolutely true, that when travelling around communist Europe in the 80s, I lost count of the number of times a border guard would be checking our passports, then grin, and say "Bobby Charlton!".

:wub

I have never been much of a soccer fan, but I have become completely addicted to it. I watched all the games this weekend; bought into the hype about the US having a chance; took over a conference room in my office yesterday and watched the US get destroyed and I actually was very disappointed about it. I am hooked now. I absolutely love how each of the countries seem to have an identity in the way they play. And I love how there are so many subtle (and beautiful) plays that all add up to true displays of teamwork. Watching a team that is clicking on all cylinders is like watching a well-oiled machine.

Even from my limited experience I could tell that Ghana was a bit shaky on defense and not very organized on offense, but they attacked with a passion that was exhilarating and I loved watching them (and Essien in particular). Watching them after watching the US sleepwalk through their game made me even more sad about the US's loss, but even more appreciative of a team (Ghana) that is happy to be there, and was going to leave everything they had on the field yesterday.

It is getting harder and harder for me to sneak away for games today. I imagine that Brazil is a must-see. Does anyone have thoughts on the other two games?

Guest Laminated Kat
I have never been much of a soccer fan, but I have become completely addicted to it.

Awesome. It's the best sport to be an addict for.

This is admittedly coming from someone who confessed approx 5-6 posts ago that he had not (until this World Cup) been a big fan of soccer... But, I have been so impressed with the effort and intensity of the African nations playing in this tournament. Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo. Its really fun to watch them. Am I showing my naivete? I suppose these teams feel as if they have to prove that they belong?