Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

Didn't Korea play well in the last World Cup? I may be confusing them with Japan.

They both did - the 2 countries were joint hosts. Korea got to the semi finals. They look a bit lost this time around - none of the buzz they had then.

But, I have been so impressed with the effort and intensity of the African nations playing in this tournament. Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo. Its really fun to watch them. Am I showing my naivete?

African sides often play with an exuberance and desire to attack that is great to see. They typically are less disciplined and/or skilled in defence, which can be their undoing.

Edit: Case in point. Togo have a player sent off for last ditch foul. Korea score from free kick.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is admittedly coming from someone who confessed approx 5-6 posts ago that he had not (until this World Cup) been a big fan of soccer... But, I have been so impressed with the effort and intensity of the African nations playing in this tournament. Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo. Its really fun to watch them. Am I showing my naivete? I suppose these teams feel as if they have to prove that they belong?

The Africans have been fun to watch over the past few Cups. Cameroon had a great side a few years back that was a joy to watch and quite infectious in their exuberance.

Guest Laminated Kat

Well, they do belong since they qualified. But yes, that is the beauty of the World Cup. I love seeing a small island nation like Trinidad/Tobago hold off Sweden. I love seeing the African nations (especially very poor nations) have the opportunity to compete in such a wonderful sporting event. The sportsmanship carries across the globe as well, and that is pretty special to see.

The Africans have been fun to watch over the past few Cups. Cameroon had a great side a few years back that was a joy to watch and quite infectious in their exuberance.

Interesting. I suppose that's what has been so cool to me in all of this. You could tell that Italy, Argentina, etc were the "better" teams in the sense that they werent rushing anything, they were supremely confident and would pick and choose their spots. They could almost lull you to sleep and then BAM! they score a goal. The African teams on the other hand: push, push, push. So intense. Sloppy, but intense.

Interesting. I suppose that's what has been so cool to me in all of this. You could tell that Italy, Argentina, etc were the "better" teams in the sense that they werent rushing anything, they were supremely confident and would pick and choose their spots. They could almost lull you to sleep and then BAM! they score a goal. The African teams on the other hand: push, push, push. So intense. Sloppy, but intense.

You're catching on very quickly. Welcome to World Cup Addiction! :cheers

Awesome. It's the best sport to be an addict for.

:cheers

Well, they do belong since they qualified. But yes, that is the beauty of the World Cup. I love seeing a small island nation like Trinidad/Tobago hold off Sweden. I love seeing the African nations (especially very poor nations) have the opportunity to compete in such a wonderful sporting event. The sportsmanship carries across the globe as well, and that is pretty special to see.

*Seconded*

Guest Laminated Kat

This game intense. They both want it so bad. I'd kill to be in front of a tv right now.

Damn, Korea scored again.....

for a woman with a footy tattoo - I have not been paying enough attention to the World Cup this year. *shrug*

I do remember the last World Cup final fondly, as I was in a small bar in the mountains of eastern Cuba, watching with some locals.......goooooooooaaaalllllll!!! :wub

I really don't know squat about this, but I do know the US of A is going nowhere....

(Lacrosse is getting more fans than soccer.)

LouieB

because of preppy college racist stripper Rapes? :no

this country's indifference to the World Cup bothers me a little. the sports talk radio geeks and media always mock people's passion for the game and have this arrogant, snobbish attitude which seems to say, "Well, if were not into it, it's not a legitimate competition..." the attitue mirrors America's world politics and agenda. cue Team America song: "America, fuck yeah...."

Guest Laminated Kat
this country's indifference to the World Cup bothers me a little. the sports talk radio geeks and media always mock people's passion for the game and have this arrogant, snobbish attitude which seems to say, "Well, if were not into it, it's not a legitimate competition..." the attitue mirrors America's world politics and agenda. cue Team America song: "America, fuck yeah...."

There was absolutely nothing on the news this morning about the World Cup, local. I guess maybe that is expecting a little too much but it was still disappointing. Esp. since our country played yesterday.

Fantastic individual goal by Kaka has meant Brazil are leading 1-0 at half time. Worst part is that Ronaldo looks completely uninterested and, if it must be said, a bit fat...

and what was with him taking to the field so late at the start of the 2nd half? seems kinda jerky

Today has been the worst day of football so far. South Korea v Togo was kind of fun, but nothing that special. And the other two games were pretty dull. I hope France get knocked out, I've never liked the French side, a bit like the Italians, when they won it in 1998 they were pretty dull until the final if my memory serves me well and the players on paper always seem far better than they do on the pitch altogther. As for the Brazil game, I was hoping Croatia would win, but never mind - they certainly put up a good fight even though the Brazilians looked only running on half power most of the time.

Spain 2 - Ukraine 0... latest score after 30 mins!

For anyone who likes their commentary with a bit of humour, look no further than the Guardian: http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup200...1788236,00.html Great stuff!

Typical quote:

45 mins: With the clock showing 45.00, referee Massimo Busacca brings the first half to a close. He's Swiss, hence his excellent timekeeping. And neutrality.

3 - 0 now after a dubious penalty...

47 mins - Spain 3 - 0 Ukraine: David Villa dispatches the ball into the bottom left-hand corner. Shovkovsky got a hand to it, but couldn't keep it out. Ukraine are in all sorts of bother - 3-0 down and down to 10 men. It's a sitting duck. A road apple. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put more hurt on the Ukraine.

46 mins: It would appear so. Spain win a penalty when Torres is "fouled" in the box by Vladislav Vashchuk, who gets sent off. He didn't touch him, although the referee seems to be labouring under the delusion that Torres was hauled down. Penalty for Spain.

However, Raul is on as a sub so it could all go wrong!

So.... The Brazil-Croatia game was the one game I have been looking forward to the most during group play. I decided to tape the game and avoid any updates on the game which was quite hard. I get home and my friend who managed to miss the score all day comes over to watch the game.... at minute 86 the tape stops apparently I did not tape the whole game (and I have been taping pretty much every game all world cup and this is the first time this happens) needless to say this gets me quite angry things were thrown names were called "something to the effect all analog electronics are dead to me" and then it goes directly to non-stop laughter by my friend and me. My friend's response was " I am so glad I was here to witnessed that I wouldn't have believed if I didn't see it."

Overall the game was very entertaining Brazil is so good and mesmerizing you almost can't help but to start pulling for them. I was impressed by Croatia keeping Brazil to 1 goal but they looked like the weaker team the whole game. I still think they have a decent team though and should advance.

So.... The Brazil-Croatia game was the one game I have been looking forward to the most during group play. I decided to tape the game and avoid any updates on the game which was quite hard. I get home and my friend who managed to miss the score all day comes over to watch the game.... at minute 86 the tape stops apparently I did not tape the whole game (and I have been taping pretty much every game all world cup and this is the first time this happens) needless to say this gets me quite angry things were thrown names were called "something to the effect all analog electronics are dead to me" and then it goes directly to non-stop laughter by my friend and me. My friend's response was " I am so glad I was here to witnessed that I wouldn't have believed if I didn't see it."

Overall the game was very entertaining Brazil is so good and mesmerizing you almost can't help but to start pulling for them. I was impressed by Croatia keeping Brazil to 1 goal but they looked like the weaker team the whole game. I still think they have a decent team though and should advance.

I thought it was a little dull myself, not terrible, but it never really seemed to offer anything but a Brazil win. I hope you recorded the Spain v Ukraine game because that was incredible. Surprise! Surprise! After everyone saying that Spain always promise and never deliver, this time when nobody expected much they look like they are playing really really well as a team. From the matches so far they look the best side by some distance, although this could easily change in the games to come judging from past tournaments.

I thought it was a little dull myself, not terrible, but it never really seemed to offer anything but a Brazil win. I hope you recorded the Spain v Ukraine game because that was incredible. Surprise! Surprise! After everyone saying that Spain always promise and never deliver, this time when nobody expected much they look like they are playing really really well as a team. From the matches so far they look the best side by some distance, although this could easily change in the games to come judging from past tournaments.

I said to some people at work that Spain 'could' (and they always fail to deliver the goods don't they) be a different prospect this time round. They've got players who are thriving in the much more physical English Premiership and therefore will have much more steel than the Spain of old. In the past if anyone got a bit physical with them, they could never hack it.

Mind you, Ukraine had a player sent off so that could've made a big difference.