Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

I know, I wish I could watch two games at once. However, they do it that way so teams can't decide how to play based on the result of another match.

For example, if the games were at different times and if the U.S. played first on Thursday and won, Italy and the Czech Republic could just agree to dog it and play to a scoreless tie, which would result in both those teams advancing (assuming the U.S. didn't win by five goals or more).

Very true and understandable but I wish the games were more lunch hour friendly.

If the early games were an hour later I could catch both second halfs or if the late games were an hour earlier I could take a late lunch and catch both second halfs. oh well I will have to test my will and see if I can go without looking at the scores.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deutschland uber alles.

Meanwhile, here all the cars are running round with England flags on them and everyone is knocking off early to get home in time for this evening's match (not that it's on early enough to justify that, but everything goes to pot during the World Cup). I, of course, have the best of both worlds, in that I do generally get behind England, but if they lose I can enjoy the next day taking the mickey at work.

Guest Laminated Kat
taking the mickey at work.

:wub

Thank god they fixed the server just now. I can watch the FIFA play by play during the first 1/2 and am off to the Fox and Hound for the second 1/2!

:wub

Thank god they fixed the server just now. I can watch the FIFA play by play during the first 1/2 and am off to the Fox and Hound for the second 1/2!

Old school Tivo is set to record the game because it is just plain unreasonable for me to take lunch at 2:45 to catch the second half. My friend left me a message on the voice mail last night. "BEND IT!!!!!"

Poland won I am shocked! Not like they are playing again though.

Geht Deutschland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First to qualify for the second round and first to get 3 wins! (I Know they did play first)

Guest Laminated Kat
Do they serve bangers and mash? Or a more traditionally English curry?

Oh man. Neither! :(

It's all bullshit American chain food.

Geht Deutschland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's nice to see a country do well at home I suppose....but them...i just can't get past Klinsman. Not a fan. I have bad Euro Cup memories that I still carry around with me.

Guest Laminated Kat

I love Rooney.3962686865.jpg

I'd really like a simple Ploughman's for lunch. How hard is it to serve a nice piece of crusty farmer loaf, branston, good white cheddar and some roasted turkey? Apparently very.

I'd really like a simple Ploughman's for lunch. How hard is it to serve a nice piece of crusty farmer loaf, branston, good white cheddar and some roasted turkey? Apparently very.

Beans on toast!! :w00t

Oh well, so much for my Germany-England prediction in the round of 16. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only chance that they would meet would be in the Finals or Consolation match.

Oh well, so much for my Germany-England prediction in the round of 16. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only chance that they would meet would be in the Finals or Consolation match.

If England loses they play Germany next in round 2, but if they tie or win they play Ecuador and Germany plays Sweden.

If England loses they play Germany next in round 2, but if they tie or win they play Ecuador and Germany plays Sweden.

Thanks for the clarification. No offense to our English brothers and sisters but Go Sverige! I really want to see Germany-England for some reason (and in that match I will root for England without any doubt).

3 mins: Michael Owen's injury looks bad. Peter Crouch was rested to protect him from picking up a yellow card which will see him banned for the next match. But he is on to replace the Newcastle striker. Theo Walcott looks on from the bench.

1 min: Michael Owen is off the field with an injury. The striker is forced to crawl off the pitch after falling awkwardly on the left of midfield and injuring his right knee. The physio is straight over to him - and it looks serious.

More important in topiing the group was the fact that they now avoid Argentina for a bit longer. However, it all looks pretty hopeless for England now. Beckham contributed little. Crouch ditto. Walcott the wunderkind is all that we've got left to hope for up front.

More important in topiing the group was the fact that they now avoid Argentina for a bit longer. However, it all looks pretty hopeless for England now. Beckham contributed little. Crouch ditto. Walcott the wunderkind is all that we've got left to hope for up front.

Hopeless? That's a bit of a doomsday outlook? We drew a game finished top of the group and march on. Granted we're not playing fancy care free football, but then again we aren't exactly conceding hatfuls.

For me, this could force Sven's hand a little to play to our strengths, we've got an abundance of attacking midfield talent, so how about we flood the midfield and play them.

Keep the back four as is, shove Rooney up fron on his own, bring in Hargreaves (who despite the xenophobic masses had a good game last night) to sit in front of the defence.

But it needs a big decision to make it all work and for me it would be this: DROP BECKHAM! There I said it, I've been advocating for a while - I even thought Shaun 'Diffrent Strokes' Wright-Phillips should have been playing before him.

Just think Cole, Lampard, Gerrard and Lennon (Beckham's replacement) all doing what they do best - pushing on and making penetrating runs: mouth watering.

We've enough replacement (and better) captains out there. Go on Sven be brave. Do it!

I think Walcott has more chance of playing than them dropping Beckham. I agree about the midfield approach though, I can't see the logic behind not playing to our strengths - and Lampard & Gerrard are our strengths, so a change in formation will suit them better. I think that Lennon could still play with Beckham on the pitch, it would just involve Cole or Beckham dropping back slightly to play the role Hargreaves as adopted (who is certainly not bad by any means, but nor is he a match winner). We need Lennon to really run at the other sides defence, last night I was screaming at the TV for Cole to do this, but he seems to prefer to hold the ball up some what whenever he gets it - he should get it and go, even if he's left to do it alone, because he's got the talent to do it, but chooses (or has been told) not to.

I think Walcott has more chance of playing than them dropping Beckham. I agree about the midfield approach though, I can't see the logic behind not playing to our strengths - and Lampard & Gerrard are our strengths, so a change in formation will suit them better. I think that Lennon could still play with Beckham on the pitch, it would just involve Cole or Beckham dropping back slightly to play the role Hargreaves as adopted (who is certainly not bad by any means, but nor is he a match winner). We need Lennon to really run at the other sides defence, last night I was screaming at the TV for Cole to do this, but he seems to prefer to hold the ball up some what whenever he gets it - he should get it and go, even if he's left to do it alone, because he's got the talent to do it, but chooses (or has been told) not to.

I think dropping Beckham would be the right thing to do. But I also agree that he would never be dropped, Sven is not that brave. Beckham has played that withdrawn Hargreaves role before, and to be honest it didn't really work. He received a lot of the ball, but much of the time he spent trying to splay inch-perfect 50 yard passes to the wingers with varying degrees of success, and effectively by-passing our best players Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard.

I think we need somebody who is both combative and comfortable to take the ball off the back four and 'quickly' shift the ball up into midfield where we can penetrate. Like you said, Cole should be more incisive, he has the talent, he should use it in the areas that hurt and not doing on too many step-overs and then running down a blind alley. Likewise with Lennon, instead of checking back all the time he shoul kick the ball and out sprint the ooposition to it.

I think we can be galvanized as a team, we need to play more care-free football and relax up a bit more. First half last night I was mightily impressed. Second half it was business as usual as we handed over the initative yet again. I hope Rio is fit, because for me Sol Campbell isn't even a Premiership footballer these days, let alone an international one.

Had a discussion with someone last night, and we came to the conclusion that Sven has basically 'got lucky'. Like the bloke who pretended to be Stanley Kubrick and dined out under his name, Sven is the same. He doesn't know the first thing about football but has managed to blag and bluff away along so far, keeping us entertained with his ineptitude and bedroom hi-jinx.

Mind you, I'd have a go at keeping up the pretence for

Had a discussion with someone last night, and we came to the conclusion that Sven has basically 'got lucky'. Like the bloke who pretended to be Stanley Kubrick and dined out under his name, Sven is the same. He doesn't know the first thing about football but has managed to blag and bluff away along so far, keeping us entertained with his ineptitude and bedroom hi-jinx.

Mind you, I'd have a go at keeping up the pretence for

Guest Laminated Kat
I think dropping Beckham would be the right thing to do.

I really don't get allof the criticism. He has had some key passes that resulted in goals. I really think he passed the best players that you mention 99.9% of the time because they are always so heavily marked. Beckham has incredible control over the ball and moves it around in an almost precise manner. There is more to finishing the top of your bracket than luck.

England is my favorite team. I would route for them against the U.S. I think that what they have done certainly is not their best, but they have done a fine job.

I really don't get allof the criticism. He has had some key passes that resulted in goals. I really think he passed the best players that you mention 99.9% of the time because they are always so heavily marked. Beckham has incredible control over the ball and moves it around in an almost precise manner. There is more to finishing the top of your bracket than luck.

England is my favorite team. I would route for them against the U.S. I think that what they have done certainly is not their best, but they have done a fine job.

I think it has to do with the lack of aggressiveness that Beckham has shown is why he is getting so much criticism. Though when he does get touches his passes are very accurate and there is probably no one else I would rather corner kick than him. It seems as if he is not getting aggressive enough to get more touches and opportunities for England to score. I would still keep him out there but I could see him not starting or being subbed out for a more aggressive player. I can see England beating Ecuador but I doubt they will beat the Portugal-Holland(assuming Argentina beats holland today) winner in the quarterfinals.