By Gumption, the melody in "What Light" is UNWELLLLL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

The Late Greats, crossed with the Faces waaaaay too lethargic.

I think this is the worst, hands down. There IS no melody, and that's worrying. I mean, Wilco + instruments has always = melody.

I thought What Light was played better in Toronto but this is great thanks. I'll post a tab of the chords later it's real simple. Also CAN'T YOU GUYS SEE THIS SONG BEING A BIG SINGALONG SHOW CLOSER DOWN THE ROAD?

Edited by Kalle
I thought What Light was played better in Toronto but this is great thanks. I'll post a tab of the chords later it's real simple. Also CAN'T YOU GUYS SEE THIS SONG BEING A BIG SINGALONG SHOW CLOSER DOWN THE ROAD?

Well, here is the latest version of "What Light" from Montreal:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...E62BF404E27EB0D

And the rearranged version of impossible Germany, with the solo in the middle:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...4ED5D3F315319C4

these are courtesy of viachicago user blane, and the full flac version is up on bt.etree.org

Wow, I really like this one.

On another note, I'm really getting a kick out of "Man, the new album is going to suck" talk out there. I remember the same talk when the songs for AGIB started circulating. The same is true for YHF. I guess there are those out there that wish Wilco would just make Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 2: The Bravo Alpha Tango, or Summerteeth 2: Autumn Orthadonture, or A Ghost is Born 2: The Ghost Pottie Trains. Personlly, I enjoy seeing all the new directions the music takes, but I guess that when you make such great and distinctive albums, people are going to want more of the same, and I can't really blame them. I'm also looking forward to seeing how these songs shape up in the studio.

Guest Speed Racer

Dude, I'm sorry, but when Jeff goes around saying 'Maybeeee the sun will shiiiine today,' or 'there is a liiiight insiiiide of you,' it just doesn't get me in quite the same way as older material.

On another note, I'm really getting a kick out of "Man, the new album is going to suck" talk out there. I remember the same talk when the songs for AGIB started circulating. The same is true for YHF. I guess there are those out there that wish Wilco would just make Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 2: The Bravo Alpha Tango, or Summerteeth 2: Autumn Orthadonture, or A Ghost is Born 2: The Ghost Pottie Trains. Personlly, I enjoy seeing all the new directions the music takes, but I guess that when you make such great and distinctive albums, people are going to want more of the same, and I can't really blame them. I'm also looking forward to seeing how these songs shape up in the studio.

I don't know if this was in response to what I said or not, but my point was mostly that Wilco needs to hire some backup soul singers.

I'm really getting a kick out of "Man, the new album is going to suck" talk out there. I remember the same talk when the songs for AGIB started circulating.

You mean when we started to hear songs that weren't good?

Not a bad tune. I kind of like it.

FWIW, I like when bands flesh out their new tunes on tours. It shows they're not afraid to take the chance for the tunes being ill-received. Hate to bring the Dead into this, but they did the same thing a lot and would bag playing certain tunes entirely, in large part due to audience reaction (think: Dayjob, Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues, etc.).

The versions of some of these new tunes may change a bit from now until....whenever. It also doesn't mean that these are all going to automatically make it onto the next album.

ed. I really like the re-worked version of Impossible Germany, too. The instrumental in the middle serves it much better.

Edited by Lammycat
You mean when we started to hear songs that weren't good?

I don't know when that was. All I can remember is hearing...songs that wound up on AGIB. So...maybe you're on the wrong forum. Maybe check the Comatorium.

I'm so psyched. Especially in the wake of a solo Jeff DVD news, I really don't mind the boys taking their sweet time to put this new one together. It's hard/impossible to guess what'll be a b-side and what'll be album-material, but I'm hearing this new stuff and all I can envision is this new, refreshed Wilco, who, in it's later years, has shed pounds, come out of a bad divorce and looks great naked. I'm thinking more summerteethy organ swells, more yhf artistic confidence and more A.M. approachability. Whereas more recent Wilco becomes deeply rewarding upon more listens, I think the new material will be instantaneously warming and be consistently filling upon thousands more spins.

But yeah, either way, stardog, I think you've just made an innocent mistake. You're accidentally logged onto Via Chicago. This board is for a band that makes consistently varied, challenging music. Maybe you're thinking of Dylan 28 years ago.

I think this is the worst, hands down.

:omg

Wow, that's just so wrong. I was all prepared to hate based on the first stanza being so similar to that awful "sing, sing a song" tune but yeah, hands down easily the best of the new songs they've played recently and after one two three listens I'd put the whole package up with Jeff's best and it gives me new hope for the record. So, yeah...

Impossible Germany with the guitar skronk in the middle still has the same problems as it did with it at the end but I like that they're experimenting with getting away from the quiet -> loud dynamic because it was becoming pretty pervasive.

What I'd really like to see are some uptempo songs so they don't have to continuously go to the back catalog to get the crowd excited.

CAN'T YOU GUYS SEE THIS SONG BEING A BIG SINGALONG SHOW CLOSER DOWN THE ROAD?

:yes

I really like the re-worked version of Impossible Germany, too. The instrumental in the middle serves it much better.

Can't say I like it. Maybe I'm a sucker for the old pervasive soft->loud thing. I think I'd prefer two solos, saving the "going apeshit" :monkey until the second one to end the song.

Dude, I'm sorry, but when Jeff goes around saying 'Maybeeee the sun will shiiiine today,' or 'there is a liiiight insiiiide of you,' it just doesn't get me in quite the same way as older material.

LOL, this doesn't change my liking the new song but it's true. One of the reasons I'm less than fond of Handshake Drugs is it's so damned milquetoast - "what do you want me to be?" Boo friggin hoo. Rock is supposed to swagger, not mince around in a pink tutu and worry about shit like that.

Exhibit one for this sort of thing among the new songs is "Is That The Thanks I Get" which has the potential to be a great sort of "you done me wrong" sort of song but then Jeff goes into this horrible happy feely "we can make it better!" spiel (made infinitely worse by the band led crowd sing along) which may give some people the warm fuzzies but, come on, ruins the vibe completely.