NY Times Declares "Alt-Country" Dead

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stretch that even further to include whiskeytown
Actually it includes tons of artists on Bloodshot, New West and a whole host of folks who play roots connected rock, country, bluegrass, rockabilly, etc. If you read No Depression you know alt.country is hardly dead, there are thousands of musicians out there trying their hands at it.

LouieB

oh yeah, there definitely is. i think there's been a huge resurgence of it lately. lucero, ryan's back into it, roadside graves, steve earle
I agree...there are more hippies with cowboy hats than ever....it never went away....

LouieB

Country music for Democrats.

EXCELLENT!! :thumbup you summed it up nicely there! If you were here,I'd buy ya a beer :cheers

Ok, a really dumb comment, but isn't alt country.....cock (I've always assumed that to mean a combo of Country and Rock, assuming that's what Jeff is alluding to in the IATTBYH movie? I also thought it was used in a rather limited fashion by Tweedy fans until I heard Pierce Bronson say it to Greg Kinnear in the film The Matador--but I digress). I have a feeling once again I'm way off the mark...

:blush

Ok, a really dumb comment, but isn't alt country.....cock (I've always assumed that to mean a combo of Country and Rock, assuming that's what Jeff is alluding to in the IATTBYH movie?

:blush

go back and listen to Tweedy's story. cock was something he and his friends used to say when they were kids. it had nothing to do with music.

I know of the guy that wrote that article. Jesse Fox Mayshark is from my town and used to write for a local alternative weekly. He also participates regularly on a local message board. So reguarly that I wonder how he has any time to do his job or live a life outside of that stupid board.

Anyway, my point is that I wouldn't take anything this guy has to say about music seriously. He's a good writer, but he's not a musician and admittely doesn't know shit about music. He has the musical taste of a 12-year-old girl. I'm serious. He regularly posts in a thread that lists what you've been listening to during the week, and he's into some stupid ass teenage shit. He was also affiliated with No Depression in some capacity and last year posted a top 20 (or some equivalent) all-time "alt. country" album list. Guess what? Not one Wilco record in the bunch. I've been 'round and 'round with him on that board about Wilco, and he has a real problem with them that I just don't understand. In fact, he once said that Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" was a much more credible music (or some such shit) than anything Wilco's ever done. His reasoning was that it was more credible in terms of modern culture. Yeah, if you're a 12-year-old girl. He tends to value music based on what effect it has on culture. How about on the merits of its own musicality? Who gives a flip about its "cultural impact?"

Just because you can write doesn't qualify you to write about music. He even admitted on that local message board that this was a "rush piece." In his own words:

started out as just a jayhawks piece, morphed into something a little broader. written in a hurry. ok, i'll stop making excuses.

So yeah, I don't pay anything he has to say about music any mind.

And remember, The New York Times said God is dead once.

I have no idea what Trad Rock is...who made that up?
Although the sound of American Trad Rock is quite different than that of its British counterpart, it shares the same aesthetic -- namely, it is dedicated to keeping the sound and the spirit of classic '60s rock alive. Where British trad rock relies on the Beatles and mod influences, American trad rock is about Southern-fried boogie and blues-based improvisation. The Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers were the twin precursors of American trad rock, even though there are hints of the Stones and the Faces thrown in every once in a while as well. The very first U.S. trad rockers -- the Georgia Satellites and the Black Crowes -- appeared in the mid- to late '80s and had grown out of roots rock. By the early '90s, American trad rock had begun to take shape as Allman soundalikes like Widespread Panic began cultivating followings, and by the middle of the decade, there was a loose collective of similar-minded, neo-Dead bands (Blues Traveler, Phish) that had built a fanbase by touring constantly. Blues Traveler had these bands tour under the H.O.R.D.E. moniker, and by 1996 the travelling festival was rivaling its alternative counterpart, Lollapalooza, in popularity.

All Music

Me too.....

I have no idea what Trad Rock is...who made that up?

AAA is basically Americana, whatever the fuck it is...

The death of alt.country is so boring....just like everything else, few music genres ever die, they just morph and change and hang around. Every few years some publication comes out with Rock is dead, rock is back, country is dead country is back, jazz is dead, jazz is back, blues is dead, blues is back...blah blah blah...

LouieB

yea usually reserved for slow music news days, i think they actually have templates they use and just change the genre name and obscure references

yea usually reserved for slow music news days, i think they actually have templates they use and just change the genre name and obscure references
Actually one would think that the release of a new Golden Smog album would be indicate the longevity of all these artists no matter what their so called genre is. Most of the associated members of Golden Smog could have faded into obsurity by now, but in fact all of them have either prospered or at least survived despite some rather trying times. If anything, twangy music with punk roots is far healthier today than one would have imagined 10 years ago.

LouieB

I'm not a Democrat, and I'm starting to feel lonely around here.

"Wilco is for all who have the ears to appreciate."

Theatrical effect.

"Wilco is for all who have the ears to appreciate."

Just don't ask Jeff what he thinks about this guy:

massage.jpg

That shits just classic, wtf was that dumbass thinking?! :lol

Anyway, to the point of the article, like some other people said alt-country was on the way out 10 years ago. I can think of lots of records I like in that genre before 1998 or so but the bands that made them either moved on to other styles or broke up (or started sucking). Even Being There was cited by a lot of people as a move away from that sound, though I tend to think of it more as the best of the genre.

lucero's newest record is pretty much rock and much less country (which is a bit of a bummer). drag the river's latest is very good alt-country.

labels exist to give rock journalists something to hang their hat on. they do nothing for the music.

labels exist to give rock journalists something to hang their hat on. they do nothing for the music.

Labels may not do anything for the music, true, but I would say labels--even the most vague, generalized, or unfair ones--exist mostly to help listeners discuss the music, by providing common reference points. Case in point:

lucero's newest record is pretty much rock and much less country (which is a bit of a bummer). drag the river's latest is very good alt-country.