Jon Papelbon is the best baseball thread ever

If the Yankees have to be the AL reps in the WS, then I would hope it's not against the Mets. If the Yankees have to lose in the WS then I would hope it's against the Mets.

I hear you, but the truth is, who has a chance of beating the Yanks from the NL other than the Mets? They at least split the regular season. Seems that if the Yanks are going to be the AL rep that we have to hope its the Mets that they play. Until, of course, bobbob tells us that the Marlins have the best shot of beating the Yanks. Which is something I would roll my eyes to, but I suppose he does have the 2003 season as the ace up his sleeve. And the Marlins are certainly dangerous.

This all being said, for those of you Yankee haters out there, Sir Stewart is right. Nothing would cause more pain to the Yanks than losing to the Mets. So jump on our bandwagon. We could use all the help you can muster....

God, if the Yanks follow up that Sox series from a couple of years ago with a loss to the Mets in the WS that would be the ultimate kick in the nads. I am almost afraid to root for something like that. Its too perfect. :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I could handle a loss to the Mets. I think just getting them both there would be great for the city, with the 9/11 anniversary and all. I know the rest of the country didn't care in 2000, but the excitement and energy in the city at that time was at an all-time high.

Also, as much as I was brought up to despise all things Mets, they really got a bunch of good guys on their team right now. ('cept for Pedro, he'll always be a phony punk :P )

Yeah, forget that. I'd probably have to kill myself if we lost to the Mets :yucky .

I don't think anyone outside of New York would care about another Subway series, just like nobody cared about the first one.

As a new yorker, I would get a kick out of a WSox/Cubs WS. Or a Marlins/Rays WS. There's just something cool to me about natural rivals playing for all the marbles. Even if I know the plaeyrs dont care, as a fan its cool for me to think about all the fans there beating the crap out of each other for the pride of the city. Thats just me though.

EDIT: for all the haters out there, what is so much more interesting to you about a random matchup like As vs Cards? I dont get it. Not even watching mets v yanks?

Edited by MattZ

I'm just a New York hater. I'd watch Rays/Marlins. I would love to see a White Sox-Cubs series.

Ok, that just freaked me out. Was that a coincidence?

Yep. Total coincidence. I chose the A's because they are the only likely playoff team in the AL that I really have no emotional investment in (I root for the Tigers, am currently heavily rooting against the Twins because they're so close to the Tigers, and live in Chicago, so the Sox in the series would be big around here and I'd have to watch), and I threw in the Cards just because there's no one in the West that has a chance to make it (although I'd be surprised if the Cards do too--it looks like the Mets should steamroll their way into the Series). I didn't see your post when I posted mine. Weird.

As a mets fan, there is nothing I want less. Nothing could ruin what has turned out to be a wonderful season better than having to watch the Yankee fans gloating and jumping up and down in Shea Stadium.

And then the back pages of the tabloids. And the "who's your daddy chants". Ugh, please.

I suppose that I could look at it the other way, which is that if the Mets ever beat the yanks in the WS that this would be the greatest thing in the history of everything. But I remember how 2000 felt. And I have to admit that I think the Yanks would smack the mets around again in 06.

Here here. If that happens, I'm moving to New Mexico so I won't have to hear it.

As a new yorker, I would get a kick out of a WSox/Cubs WS. Or a Marlins/Rays WS. There's just something cool to me about natural rivals playing for all the marbles. Even if I know the plaeyrs dont care, as a fan its cool for me to think about all the fans there beating the crap out of each other for the pride of the city. Thats just me though.

EDIT: for all the haters out there, what is so much more interesting to you about a random matchup like As vs Cards? I dont get it. Not even watching mets v yanks?

I wouldn't be too excited about a D-Rays Marlins series, personally (except for the fact that the Marlins would be in the World Series, of course). The teams are 3 hours from eachother, and in Florida terms, that is about as far as you can get. When I went to some games this summer I wore my Marlins shirt and hat, and I got shit about it in Atlanta and New York, but not in Tampa. It's barely a rivalry.

I just think New York vs. New York is a Goliath Vs. Goliath tale, and nobody likes that...

Just about the weirdest baserunning play I've ever seen. Iguchi stopped about 15 feet from homeplate on a play he should've easily, easily scored on. The infielder was surprised he was there and gunned it to the catcher, who jogged at Iguchi, who jogged back towards third, and then was tagged out about one foot from the bag.

Ozzie Guillen put a defensive replacement in LF in the sixth inning with a big lead. Think about it.

I just think New York vs. New York is a Goliath Vs. Goliath tale, and nobody likes that...

Well, it's Goliath versus Goliath's younger brother Dieter.

"Big Game" aka Sweaty Freddy Garcia just lost his perfecto after 7 2/3.

WOOT... Very exciting stuff. The Sox will go on a bit of a run now. Tigers and Twins will fall a bit.

Prediction:

Sox

Twins (wild card)

Tigers (wondering what the hell happened)

WOOT... Very exciting stuff. The Sox will go on a bit of a run now. Tigers and Twins will fall a bit.

Prediction:

Sox

Twins (wild card)

I'm gonna modify that slightly:

Prediction:

Twins

Sox (wild card)

Just finished watching MetsvMarlins. These Marlins are good, but they are not a playoff team. Not this year at least... Sorry bobbob. An error and a crossup between the pitcher and catcher. Mets score 3 in the 11th. They're almost there, but they are not there yet.

The Mets have nothing to play for and the Marlins are fighting for the playoffs and the Mets still won 2 of 3. This is a team I am worried about for next year. Not this year though...

Two tough losses for you bobbob. But look on the bright side. The future looks promising.