Jon Papelbon is the best baseball thread ever

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think to qualify as "magical", they've got to make the playoffs at least, but even then it's pretty questionable. Yes, a lot of young players have developed way, way faster than expected, but it's still a barely-.500 team. An exciting season? Sure. A season that gives fans a ton of hope for the future? Absolutely. Magical...um, no.

Edited by MrRain422

Well, this was a team that was expected to lose over 100 games, and they are fighting for the wild card (in a weak league). They have surpassed pretty much every expectation, and have a guy who will finish in the top 5 in MVP, and probably 5 guys who will finish in the top 10 of ROY. The no-hitter also helps.

It's probably been the best story of the year, and as a fan, it's felt fairly magical.

I'd say the magic continues, but we are facing a guy who has pitched a total of about 13 total good innings since 2004.

I hear Jeff Brantley retracted his prediction that the Marlins would lose 120 games. :thumbup

If they can just get him to be consistent, Oliver Perez will be an awesome pitcher.

New York's victory also eliminated the Braves from the NL East race, ending their record run of 14 straight division titles.
If they can just get him to be consistent, Oliver Perez will be an awesome pitcher.

He's got sick stuff. I hope they give up on him though, because I don't want to see him get it back together with a division Rival.

Yankee/Met World Series. Mark it down.

As a mets fan, there is nothing I want less. Nothing could ruin what has turned out to be a wonderful season better than having to watch the Yankee fans gloating and jumping up and down in Shea Stadium.

And then the back pages of the tabloids. And the "who's your daddy chants". Ugh, please.

I suppose that I could look at it the other way, which is that if the Mets ever beat the yanks in the WS that this would be the greatest thing in the history of everything. But I remember how 2000 felt. And I have to admit that I think the Yanks would smack the mets around again in 06.

If the Yankees have to be the AL reps in the WS, then I would hope it's not against the Mets. If the Yankees have to lose in the WS (not bloody likely--Gojira was 4-4 last night in his first game back), then I would hope it's against the Mets.