Wilco sign

Just back from a great week in Charleston (except for the jellyfish attack, which was cured by pouring meat-tenderizer on the sting--really :lol ). So, we had AWATT the whole way driving and then, as we're heading east on 26 from Columbia we see a sign for Hess gas and under that a sign that says WILCO...does any South Carolinian know what the hell that refers to? I wanted to take a picture but didn't get a chance.

It's nice to be back on VC.

:cheers

Not to veer too far off topic, but how is Falwell-ville treatin' ya?

To be honest, Tom, I don't like it much. They like to refer to themselves as a "college town", but having lived in Ypsi, Ann Arbor, and Kalamazoo, I think it is FAR from being one. There doesn't seem to be much going on around here at all. I'm not a mall person, but the mall seems to suck (it's no Briarwood and I'm no fan of that mall by any means). The movie theaters pretty much suck. The restaurants haven't been that impressive (I am dieing to find some Middle Eastern grub- damn I miss J Garden in A2 and Shawarma King in K-zoo!), and I'm not about to venture into any redneck NASCAR bars, which are in plentiful supply. I also miss the fuck out of shopping at Meijer. Funny, eh? They do have Super Wally, but I don't like it. By the way, adding to the weirdness, a lot of shit is not just closed on Sunday, but Mondays, too. How convenient. I guess that would be Falwell's influence? Speaking of Falwell, he has his own cable channel. Channel 3. I've added it to my "blocked" list.

Soooo.... as soon as my lease is up in April, I am moving to Charlottesville. They actually have a Whole Foods there, decent concerts, and some cool cultural stuff.

I wasn't crazy about leaving A2 in the first place, but this place makes Kalamazoo look like Chicago. At least I have Tweedy to look forward to seeing.

Anyhoo, thanks for asking! Say hi to Nick P. for me. :wave

S~/dcd

Sorry to hear it. At the very least, I hope the job is treating you well. :hmm

Yeah, I forgot to mention the new gig. I dig it. I get on really well with my boss and because this is a smaller company, I really feel like a part of the team. I work long hours and feel a bit underpaid, but I know the experience is going to pay off in the long run. The small company atmosphere is a lot nicer than working for the huge mega-corporate pill pushers.

Again, thanks for asking!

dcd

Soooo.... as soon as my lease is up in April, I am moving to Charlottesville.

Highly recommended. :yes

Fear not, the rest of the state isn't as backwards as the part you ended up in. I grew up in VA and I turned out ok! (arguably) :ermm

Highly recommended. :yes

Fear not, the rest of the state isn't as backwards as the part you ended up in. I grew up in VA and I turned out ok! (arguably) :ermm

Yeah? Glad to hear it. Just one thing, where the fock were you when I needed someone to tell me NOT to move to Lynchburg/Falwell-ville? If you did chime in during that thread where I was trying to decide, I'm a fugging idiot for not having listened.

Did you grow up in Charlottesville?

dcd

Yeah? Glad to hear it. Just one thing, where the fock were you when I needed someone to tell me NOT to move to Lynchburg/Falwell-ville? If you did chime in during that thread where I was trying to decide, I'm a fugging idiot for not having listened.

I think I do remember chiming in, but I can't remember if I was pro- or anti- Lynchburg. I like VA a lot, but that wouldn't be my preferred area to live in. :lol Charlottesville will probably be a step in the right direction for you because I think you'll find it will be more to what you were expecting when you heard the words "college town". I never lived there (damn you, UVA waitlist! :punch )--I grew up in the DC burbs--but C'ville is a cool town.(and beautiful in the fall, which you'll probably find to be a redeeming factor in Lynchburg, too)

Did you grow up in Charlottesville?

dcd

I think I do remember chiming in, but I can't remember if I was pro- or anti- Lynchburg. I like VA a lot, but that wouldn't be my preferred area to live in. :lol Charlottesville will probably be a step in the right direction for you because I think you'll find it will be more to what you were expecting when you heard the words "college town". I never lived there (damn you, UVA waitlist! :punch )--I grew up in the DC burbs--but C'ville is a cool town.(and beautiful in the fall, which you'll probably find to be a redeeming factor in Lynchburg, too)

I went to school for five years or so in Charlottesville, and went back last year for the first time in a while. Aside from some serious sprawl issues that have developed over the last ten years or so, it's a great little town.

I went to school for five years or so in Charlottesville, and went back last year for the first time in a while. Aside from some serious sprawl issues that have developed over the last ten years or so, it's a great little town.

Yeah, I've made up my mind to move there as soon as I'm out of my current lease in Lynchburg. I work in Amherst, which is about 45-60 minutes south of Charlottesville. Right now I have a 30 minute ride to work from the apartment, but I'm thinking the longer commute will be worth the trade off. Besides, I'll get to drive past the real Walton's Mountain every day.

dcd

. Aside from some serious sprawl issues that have developed over the last ten years or so

Sadly true. Plus C,ville/Albemarle real estate prices have skyrocketed, so expect rent to be a bit "pricey".

The flipside is I have a whole month of shows to attend in September, including the Lips, the Crowes, M.Ward, Rouge Wave, Mates of State, the Sadies w/ Jon Spencer and the Long Winters. So at least the scene has ratcheted up more than a few notches.

If you love good food, good wine and a diverse array of cultural attractions, you'll dig this town.

But if your trying to find a new stylish pair of mens shoes you are going to be woefully outta luck

PS: Walton's Mtn... :stunned "pfffft"!

Thanks caliber and Jimmy2.

What, Jimmy, you've never been down 29? I swear the "real" Walton's Mountain is down that way. Not that I'll ever go, but I can't help be a little curious.

I'll bring my own stylish shoes, so I think I'll survive up there better than I am down here in Falwellville.

dcd

I was stung by jellyfish in Folly Beach but refused the urine option. Used meat tenderizer instead, and you know, it actually worked! :D

I thought the Wilco sign was something special but now see it is fairly mundane.

:punch

• 4 years later...

Stopped off I-76 in PA this summer and pulled into this place:

Wilco-Sign-PA-2.jpg

And later I made a t-shirt from this logo:

Wilco-Sign-PA-1.jpg

My gf spotted this one somewheres around Philadelphia this weekend. I like the font on this one too:

WilcoSignPhilly.jpg

Lastly, I spotted a Wilco office or factory about 10 years ago while taking a bus ride from downtown San Francisco to the SF airport. Didn't get a pic of that one though.

-Rob